How far will the rise of nationalistic populism go ?

Why not make up your own mind by seeking out 1st hand evidence from people who have either cast off their coverings or left the religion all together. People with real experience unfiltered by the religion. I suspect if you only ever spoke to current members of the Scientology religion and took their views as factual, you might come to a different conclusion that the rest of us who are not members.

There is reason why women in the Islamic world are fighting for their rights, and as a country that takes pride in our freedoms, no one should apologise for a group that seeks to impose limitations on members of its group just because they were born without a penis.

I'm not sure what point you think you're making. If I spoke to ex Christians they'll have different views to Christians, so perhaps on that basis we should make it illegal to go to church on Sunday because people are being coerced into it...

We`ve just come back from holiday abroad and I`ll tell you something, every person we spoke to was aghast at Trump and Brexit. I`m not saying everyone who travels has those views but I`m even more certain most do. The American family went so far as to say they were almost embarrassed to reveal to people they were American.......

On another thread I, half jokingly, said I thought travel should be part of the national school curriculum, paid for by the state. I`m not so sure I am half joking now. I`m sure if this had been the case* Trump would not have been elected, Brexit would not have happened, and French Facist Le Pen would stand no chance of being French president. Not that she will be anyway, due to the excellent French voting system.

Nationalism, would never rear its ugly head, isn`t that worth something ? Far less chance of war, and we`d all tend to pull together, not apart or against each other.

* Obviously it`d take time to be effective vis elections. Only those over 18 can vote and Brexit voters tended to be older.

We`ve just come back from holiday abroad and I`ll tell you something, every person we spoke to was aghast at Trump and Brexit. I`m not saying everyone who travels has those views but I`m even more certain most do. The American family went so far as to say they were almost embarrassed to reveal to people they were American.......

On another thread I, half jokingly, said I thought travel should be part of the national school curriculum, paid for by the state. I`m not so sure I am half joking now. I`m sure if this had been the case* Trump would not have been elected, Brexit would not have happened, and French Facist Le Pen would stand no chance of being French president. Not that she will be anyway, due to the excellent French voting system.

Nationalism, would never rear its ugly head, isn`t that worth something ? Far less chance of war, and we`d all tend to pull together, not apart or against each other.

* Obviously it`d take time to be effective vis elections. Only those over 18 can vote and Brexit voters tended to be older.

¿ Better still, how about massive re-education centres, where everybody can be taken until they learn to think like you. ¿

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:28 ----------

Oh the irony. You can't liberate someone by denying them their rights.

Depends.

You may end up taking away less than you confer.

The rise of 'nationalistic populism' (a mendacious trope, if there ever was one) is directly related to the failure of the ruling elites in western countries to control mass immigration.

¿ Better still, how about massive re-education centres, where everybody can be taken until they learn to think like you. ¿

That answer really is beneath you UB. I never said anything about politically educating children, as you seem you be implying. Travel is broadening people`s minds, almost all parents I talk to consider it as important to their kids education as school. Yet many kids don`t get to travel, mainly because their parents can`t afford it, but also, in some cases, because their parents don't want to.

You seem to be implying that educating people through travel is some how a negative, maybe because, I think you know, that if more voters had done more travelling, Brexit (and Trump) wouldn`t have happened. Are you really that extreme over it ?

The rise of 'nationalistic populism' (a mendacious trope, if there ever was one) is directly related to the failure of the ruling elites in western countries to control mass immigration.

I'd say it's directly related to the failure of the ruling elites to ensure economic fairness, in the wake of the massive banking crash.

B******s.

It`s more because people blame immigration and globalisation for the failure of their living standards to rise. The first may be within a certain amount of control, though it will actually negatively affect the economy, and, most immigration is not from the EU anyway.

But the real "culprits" for stagnant living standards (for people at the bottom) is mechanisation and globalisation. Nothing can be done about either, not without negatively affecting those at the bottom end of the economy even more. I`m sure you`re fully aware of all of this, so the fact you still spout such rubbish is unforgiveable.

Do you read the Express or Mail by the way ?

After reading this article: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/06/stand-up-for-the-working-classes-ukip-targets-labour-in-stoke-byelection

I think UKIP are styling themselves as nationalist populists both as a means of redefining themselves after the Brexit vote, and as a means of trying to curry favour with the electorate.

After reading this article: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/06/stand-up-for-the-working-classes-ukip-targets-labour-in-stoke-byelection

I think UKIP are styling themselves as nationalist populists both as a means of redefining themselves after the Brexit vote, and as a means of trying to curry favour with the electorate.

Well it worked in june, and certainly in the US in November.

Why is Nutter-in-charge wearing the same hat that Our Nige' wore during his Kippers 4 Rovvrem campaign ?

I'd say it's directly related to the failure of the ruling elites to ensure economic fairness, in the wake of the massive banking crash.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here! This, coupled with a helping hand from 80% of the UK media, who will point the finger at anyone but the people to blame!

They're doing it now with the NHS. It's not underfunding and massive cuts that are to blame it's "health tourism" wot did it!..........even though "health tourism" is only a tiny fraction of the NHS budget!