How far will the rise of nationalistic populism go ?

Guest sibon

Now for the semi final in France in May, and the final in Germany later this year ;)

There is a possibility of a third/fourth place play off in Italy too.

There is a possibility of a third/fourth place play off in Italy too.
A fair comment, but I can't see them turning anti-EU en masse. The Northern League has been at it years and years longer than Wilders, and has nowhere near the voting support and political 'legitimacy' still. Figuratively, with the broad Italian electorate, they're in the same "barely if ever tolerable zone" as Marine's Front National v2.0 is with the broad French electorate (one step up from the BNP/EDL here, give or take).

I'd expect the Greeks to exit long before enough Italians ever get near the idea. Too much of an Italian diaspora, and the associated links into/out of Italy, right across the EU as well.

France or Germany exiting the EU, then yes I can see the whole edifice seriously in trouble. But neither a Dutch exit nor an Italian exit would imperil it.

Because someone has paraphrased JFK and Alan has read it and copied it here. Is my guess.

But I'm not sure he understands what it means.

I was paraphrasing Homer Simpson actually.

I was paraphrasing Homer Simpson actually.

Someone paraphrases JFK (Cuban missile crisis, October 1962); world on the brink of nuclear war and facing the extinction of the species, and thinks they're paraphrasing Homer Simpson. Dear God, what have we become?

And anyway it was Marge.

I understand that 'immediate' context, Tim...but Wilders has climbed from his 15 seats in 2012, we're not looking at e.g. UKIP's dead-cat-bouncing-at-the-GE-with-no-MP (the sole part-timer-depending-on-party-ratings exception doesn't count :D)

Still, bygones. Your compatriots have won the 1/4 final with flying (orange) colours, big yay! :thumbsup:

Now for the semi final in France in May, and the final in Germany later this year ;)

The French electoral system will, by preventing splits in the anti fascist vote, almost certainly prevent Le Pen from getting any where near the Presidency, thank God.

I lost the bet, but I am glad that Wilders lost. Now, I am sure Le Pen stand no chance in second round of french elections.

Hope this is new trend in the west and it will reflect on eastern europe countries where some of the nasty individuals are come to power.

I lost the bet, but I am glad that Wilders lost. Now, I am sure Le Pen stand no chance in second round of french elections.

Hope this is new trend in the west and it will reflect on eastern europe countries where some of the nasty individuals are come to power.

They don't have to win. In campaigning they move the debate. In being a threat to mainstream leaders they cause policy changes.

They don't have to win. In campaigning they move the debate. In being a threat to mainstream leaders they cause policy changes.

The EU referendum being the most significant example. UKIP never had any chance of coming to power, but they moved the debate, and politicians were looking at any votes they could snag.

The EU referendum being the most significant example. UKIP never had any chance of coming to power, but they moved the debate, and politicians were looking at any votes they could snag.

UKIP seem different to me. If you look at the Dutch, French, Austrian front men/women they're more Griffin than Farage.

To be fair to UKIP they're not explicitly anti-immigration but anti free movement. There is a difference even if many reasonable people are happy with both.

I haven't seen any similar parties emerge on the continent.

Is there the potential of UKIP being in the position the Libdems were in in the 2010 general election?

Is there the potential of UKIP being in the position the Libdems were in in the 2010 general election?

Do you mean was there (at the 2015 General Election) ? I don`t think UKIP would have got any more seats than they did, and if they did it`d literally be a handful. Under those circumstances I`d have thought Cameron would have much preferred getting into bed with the Lib Dems than UKIP.