Problems with downloading Windows Updates *Now sorted*

Hi lastnet II. I couldn't find your e mail address. Sorry but I live now in Cambridge. I can guess what you were going to offer but unfortunately it's a long way. Thanks very much anyway.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 14:44 ----------

Chumpy and Lastnet IT and IT-Smith thank you all for your help. I can see what you said about getting individual updates Chumpy. IT-smith what a useful thing for me to do is to see if the process is working. MY CPU is 50% loaded so I assume it is getting ready to install updates. Is this correct? I'm still working on other suggestions made in this forum but I will post as soon as I get the right result. My CPU is an AMD 1.8 gigahertz Phenom 9150e quad core and I have 4 GB of RAM and 607 GB of disc memory..

Edited by woolyhead

mentioned this in another thread but there are a couple of updates that are supposed to help with this issue

KB3172605 sorted it for me, if that gives errors then KB3020369 can be used first apparently

This also fixed an issue I had on laptop where svchost was running 100% and causing the CPU to throttle down due to thermal overload when it hit 95C! . . . that old laptop is usable again, awesome

I had a similar problem to the OP which was eventually resolved by doing a netsh winsock reset.

Chumpy. I have finally got both my PCs updating after using the plugable link that you gave. I'd had all sorts of problems in getting updates to work prior to using plugable's post so I'm grateful to you for sending the info. Thanks very much.

I used the following link. It worked beautifully on two computers. http://plugable.com/2016/06/08/windo...te-what-to-do/

I'd like to thank everyone who sent ideas and suggestions for making updates work but in the end this link showed me how and it worked 100%. It was given by chumpy. I love this forum. I had a few problems in using pluggable:- (i) I had no flash memory or discs for recording my data prior to applying plugable' solution but as I had very little data worth preserving I went ahead and applied it anyway. Nothing got lost. (ii) My Windows service pack SP1 wasn't the same date as plugable showed. In the event this didn't seem to matter (iii) the Microsoft Update Catalog was the easiest way to get the specific updates that plugable referred to as one option except that on two occasions the catalog seemed to be closed. I ignored this and went on with the next update listed by plugable. It all worked despite the missing update (v) I had a problem in deciding which version of any given update I needed. Several versions were on offer. In the end this didn't matter because when I chose the wrong one the software told me so and I tried another until it worked.

The format used by these updates is not consistent for all of them. After downloading, some of them ask you if you want to install, others ask if you want to open and others just start installing as soon as the update is downloaded. When you select "open" the software checks your PC to see if you already have the update and if not and if it's suitable for your PC it installs it. It all takes time because there's a lot of preparing to install, installing and then setting things up after. Then you restart. Then it does more setting up. It all takes time but it worked for me. Once you start updating there appears below the horizontal green window a changing look at how it's all going in % terms. Prior to my using pluggable I had the green line but nothing else. So that's what you look for. Experts know all this but beginners like me may not. Now you do. Good luck with it.

Edited by woolyhead

Those updates are supposed to be cumulative so theoretically you would only need to install the last one. I did 'em all though same as you.Well done getting it working.

Mick