'Big Yard' Upperthorpe S6

As a former resident (next to chipshop Springvale Rd.) I would be so grateful for any memories (and especially photos) of the Big Yard and neighbourhood; Crookesmoor

Walkley, Netherthorpe etc.So many memories! Please help make an ageing small Tyke very happy.

Hopefully

Ted Lawton.

I really enjoyed that recollection on the website.

Thank you for posting it.

I would love to speak to someone who remembers the area that far back.

Yes Don's had the newsagents Pat don was there daughter the Preston twins lived at the opposite side. Got the picture of the chippy somewhere as I used it for my CSE project on Fish and chips. The opposite side of the road from the newsagents was an Asian girl who always use to be in the window and waved when you went passed. I lived on Cross Addy Street. Rodney Smith lived just up Springvale road just up from Powells shop where his grandparents the Walls lived.

Edited by Asaw

would love to see your photo of chippy as it would probably include only known image of my own house next door.Could you scan and email to tcosi@talktalk.net. Thanks in hope.T.Lawton.

Yes Don's had the newsagents Pat don was there daughter the Preston twins lived at the opposite side. Got the picture of the chippy somewhere as I used it for my CSE project on Fish and chips. The opposite side of the road from the newsagents was an Asian girl who always use to be in the window and waved when you went passed. I lived on Cross Addy Street. Rodney Smith lived just up Springvale road just up from Powells shop where his grandparents the Walls lived.

would love to see your photo of chippy as it would probably include only known image of my own house next door.Could you scan and email to tcosi@talktalk.net. Thanks in hope.T.Lawton.

My late grandparents lived at 28 Springvale Road they were Powells  only have a few memories about the area .

There are quite a few pictures on Picture Sheffield on the internet showing a few streets in the area Upperthorpe shops one shows Springvale Road looking up from the Scarborough Public house shows front of houses and shops.

2 hours ago, sheffielder5 said:

There are quite a few pictures on Picture Sheffield on the internet showing a few streets in the area Upperthorpe shops one shows Springvale Road looking up from the Scarborough Public house shows front of houses and shops.

I think if you were looking up from the Scarborough pub it would have been Addy street. Sadly another pub now gone.

Asaw when you lived on Cross Addy Street did you know a couple of old friends of mine Paul and Dave Patchet who lived there with their mother,I think their father died in the war but I am not sure about that!.I just wondered if you knew them,I had a girlfriend further down the hill Vicky Burgin was her name on Addy Street I think it was called,there was a pub on the corner at the very bottom of the road the name I forget!.

15 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I think if you were looking up from the Scarborough pub it would have been Addy street. Sadly another pub now gone.

Before the present council estate bounded by Ashberry Road,  Addy Street and Upperthorpe was built (late 60's / early 70's?) the Scarborough stood at the junction of Addy Street and Springvale Road.

Edited by Longcol