Any tips for a not-quite-a-garden?

Hi Lauren

You can grow most herbs in pots on the windowsill, so yeah go for it, a tub will work. There are even some clips that you can clip your pots to drainpipes. as long as you water them when they need it, protect them from frost if needed etc, you can grow almost anything in a pot/tub even trees!

Our last home only had a yard, so all our stuff was grown in either the greenhouse or in pots/tubs. We grew our potatoes in an old dustbin!

best of luck!

I don't claim to be an expert in the garden but I've grown herbs in tubs and it seemed to work ok. I bought a quite large rosemary plant which is doing really well (the trick is to hardly water it at all!). Basil seems to do best if you keep it indoors in a pot and don't overwater it. I also grew spinach and rocket from seed in tubs in the garden last year. The seed packets usually have instructions on when to plant them and how to do it. :)

THIS is an idea of tub growing.

We also grow Garden mint, apple mint and peppermint in tubs.

We have a small garden too that we use for flowers/shrubs, a space for the kids to play, and growing stuff to eat - it's very cramped and that's probably why the wife allowed me to get an allotment ;)

We grew a variety of things in pots this year, most of which seemed to work quite well: Coriander (for leaf and seeds), parsley, dill, courgettes (quite small but fine), sunflowers (can't seem to give them enough water though), a wide variety of salad leaves (worked best in a large window box) and blueberries (and the first year we had them so small crop and forgot to cover them with netting so the birds had some - not to mention the kids helping themselves!

Rob

I've merged your thread into this one, Lauren, since both you and Kathy are asking about making a small garden look fab / growing veggies in a limited space :D

I'm growing some potatoes in tubs this winter too, and as Viking says, the vast majority of veggies can be grown in tubs. I have quite a big garden, but even so I prefer to grow most of my veggies in planters and tubs - I find it's easier to keep the slugs and pests away and also, I can move them about into or out of the sun, depending on what the weather is doing! Are they are particular fruits / vegetables you'd like to try?