New Tv - sound out of sync and poor picture

I'm guessing Aldi because the sound being out of sync has been reported as a problem if you check the reviews of their TVs. Even with settings changed they still don't sync right. Please ignore those who think you have no rights. Under the Consumer Rights Act you can return goods which do not conform to contract within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Not conforming to contract includes things such as it been misdescribed, not fit for purchase and faulty.

After 30 days you can still return it but you would likely be offered a repair instead.

You can make a claim for up to 6 years after purchase in England but to clarify that does not mean all goods should last up to 6 years. Also after the first 6 months of purchase the burden of proof is on the purchaser - this means you need to prove that the product did not conform to contract at the time of sale and this is not always easy.

I'm not disputing anyones answers or replies but as a matter of interest IF the tv is in sync with its on board freeview or via an aerial would it be classed as faulty ?

I have a second tv connected to a sky box which has a crap picture, my tv engineer told me i needed some little connector or something to choke back the signal from the box to the tv but i've never bothered. On freeview the tv is perfect.

I bought a smart HDD recorder from Richer Sounds, it would not play the BBCi player. I took it back and was asked if I wanted a refund or exchange no problem at all.

at the end of the day, its your opinion against theirs, like i said, i argued argued and argued and got nowhere, i was told they were allowed to mend it three times before any refund would be given...they mended it twice and then it failed again after the warranty

You should have familiarised yourself with the sales of goods act.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 21:21 ----------

I'm not disputing anyones answers or replies but as a matter of interest IF the tv is in sync with its on board freeview or via an aerial would it be classed as faulty ?

I have a second tv connected to a sky box which has a crap picture, my tv engineer told me i needed some little connector or something to choke back the signal from the box to the tv but i've never bothered. On freeview the tv is perfect.

Well, yes. Because it's described (presumably) as being capable of displaying inputs through it's HDMI sockets. So if they are hopelessly out of sync with the audio over the same channel then it's not fit for purpose is it. They can't argue, "well, one of the functions works", they ALL have to work.

Hi All.

Bought a new tv last night from a supermarket. They dont have them on display so I suppose it was a gamble. We have a sky box via hdmi lead. The sound is out of sync with the picture being showed and the overall picture is very poor quality even on hd channels. Our 10yr old LCD Tv is better in every way.

Under consumer law how can I get a refund?? Do we take it back saying its faulty?? Or we are not happy with the product??

The box has an aftersales support number, but we dont want to be fobbed off with a repair/replacement we just want a refund.

Any help would be great.

Thankyou.

What brand/model of tv is it ?

You should have familiarised yourself with the sales of goods act.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 21:21 ----------

Well, yes. Because it's described (presumably) as being capable of displaying inputs through it's HDMI sockets. So if they are hopelessly out of sync with the audio over the same channel then it's not fit for purpose is it. They can't argue, "well, one of the functions works", they ALL have to work.

Hmmm, i thought i had, please explain to me where i have got it wrong?

please see below...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-tv-is-broken-can-i-get-it-repaired-or-replaced

it states.....

The retailer can choose either to replace or repair the telly. They'll usually choose the cheaper option as long as they can show the option you want would be disproportionately expensive.

Well, just for the sake of argument I've clicked your link and read the first paragraph.

If you buy a TV that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it and get a refund as long as you do this within a reasonable time.

This is what you were saying was not possible.

i very much doubt they are entitled to a full refund, a repair or perhaps an exchange, but not a full refund...

If the fault develops early, like immediately when you take the set home, then you are entirely able to demand a full refund and not a repair.

If you actually read the SoGA and not a quick summary, you'll also see that the warranty gives you additional rights. You had a recurrent fault that started when inside the warranty, you were still within your rights to demand it be made right after the warranty period ended.

For purchases made on or after 1st October 2015 the Consumer Rights Act applies not the Sale of Goods Act. Consumer Rights Act is the legislation applicable to the OP, just to clarify.

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

Just to update you all. I got a full refund. We took it back to the supermarket in question and they were happy to refund. The brand name : Bauhn. Whenever I have bought a Tv in the past, I have never had to syncronise a picture with sound myself. I have just literally plugged it in and away we go. To say the Tv was 4k ready super HD LED, our old TV that we bought several years ago which is the old LCD is way better picture quality when plugged into our sky box. Maybe I just expected too much.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Dave

I would think that if a particular make of tv doesn't synchronize, within reason, the video/audio signal from an external input like a Sky box or similar then there is a case for describing it as "not fit for purpose".

On your tv it seems that the engineer has recommended fitting an attenuator on the feed cable to reduce the signal strength from your dish? You can normally check signal strength/quality in the Sky menu.

just take it back and tell them its faulty simple

Black Friday "deal" I reckon. The Polaroid and Blaupunkt ones are also terrible.