New Tv - sound out of sync and poor picture

Guest brownd95

Hi All.

Bought a new tv last night from a supermarket. They dont have them on display so I suppose it was a gamble. We have a sky box via hdmi lead. The sound is out of sync with the picture being showed and the overall picture is very poor quality even on hd channels. Our 10yr old LCD Tv is better in every way.

Under consumer law how can I get a refund?? Do we take it back saying its faulty?? Or we are not happy with the product??

The box has an aftersales support number, but we dont want to be fobbed off with a repair/replacement we just want a refund.

Any help would be great.

Thankyou.

Just take it back. They will give you a refund.

Just tell them that it is faulty. You are then entitled to a full refund.

Hi All.

Bought a new tv last night from a supermarket. They dont have them on display so I suppose it was a gamble. We have a sky box via hdmi lead. The sound is out of sync with the picture being showed and the overall picture is very poor quality even on hd channels. Our 10yr old LCD Tv is better in every way.

Under consumer law how can I get a refund?? Do we take it back saying its faulty?? Or we are not happy with the product??

The box has an aftersales support number, but we dont want to be fobbed off with a repair/replacement we just want a refund.

Any help would be great.

Thankyou.

There should be no problem returning the item even if it has no fault, but the problem may well be your signal. If the signal is weak it can cause a delay of a few seconds which is why you cannot get an accurate time check on a digital signal.

I had a similar problem when I put a couple of smart boxes on the same ariel as the TV. When the boxes were recording they robbed signal strength from each other and often screwed up recordings.

I bought a simple ariel booser from the internet. I think it cost £13 delivered. Each receiver now has its own cable from the booster and everything is back in sync.

Re-pack it nicely and say that you are disappointed with its performance.

There usually is, somewhere in the menu system, an adjustment to sync the sound and picture with an external box.

Check online the shop's return policy for details.

Many of the cheaper makes employ inferior screens, less inputs and processing electronics.

Edited by carosio

To be fair if it's within 14 to 28 days depending on where you bought it you can take it back for a full refund due to poor performance or point out the fault. After that time period it may lay with who ever deals with the warranty. P. S always do your research on a TV before buying :)

Out of interest, what Make and Model did you buy?

I can't fault LG personally.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 10:36 ----------

This is wrong. You are only entitled to a replacement or the faulty goods fixed.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 10:37 ----------

There should be no problem returning the item even if it has no fault, but the problem may well be your signal. If the signal is weak it can cause a delay of a few seconds which is why you cannot get an accurate time check on a digital signal.

I had a similar problem when I put a couple of smart boxes on the same ariel as the TV. When the boxes were recording they robbed signal strength from each other and often screwed up recordings.

I bought a simple ariel booser from the internet. I think it cost £13 delivered. Each receiver now has its own cable from the booster and everything is back in sync.

The OP says the TV is connected to a Sky TV box so this is not the problem as you describe. The TV is either faulty or substandard.

i very much doubt they are entitled to a full refund, a repair or perhaps an exchange, but not a full refund...

I had this same problem, i had a right fight with the shop over my faulty tv, they had a go at mending it twice and still wouldnt refund me, the second repair lasted just over the 12 month warranty period, and when it broke after 14 months i had to pay to have it repaired, i just ended up throwing it in the bin...and this was an Hitachi..

I can't fault LG personally.

I had a 2014 LG 47" model and it was excellent except for the "dirty screen" effect in which you would see pinkish hues in what should be white areas of a scene, apparently a common fault on the panels they used at the time.

The sync delay option worked to a point but sometimes you couldn't quite match the sound and vision with some external inputs. I understand that if some or all of the picture enhancements are disabled, synchronizing becomes better.

i very much doubt they are entitled to a full refund, a repair or perhaps an exchange, but not a full refund...

I had this same problem, i had a right fight with the shop over my faulty tv, they had a go at mending it twice and still wouldnt refund me, the second repair lasted just over the 12 month warranty period, and when it broke after 14 months i had to pay to have it repaired, i just ended up throwing it in the bin...and this was an Hitachi..

Depends on whether it's faulty or they're all like that. If the TV is not fit for purpose then they're entitled to a refund.

Depends on whether it's faulty or they're all like that. If the TV is not fit for purpose then they're entitled to a refund.

at the end of the day, its your opinion against theirs, like i said, i argued argued and argued and got nowhere, i was told they were allowed to mend it three times before any refund would be given...they mended it twice and then it failed again after the warranty