Car towed away whilst on holiday

Amey and the Council's team who administer the contract don't feel that giving a longer period of notice is possible.

Surely you mean they don't feel that it's convenient to themselves.

It's quite clearly physically possible, but it will require them to plan more than 3 days in advance.

Surely you mean they don't feel that it's convenient to themselves.

It's quite clearly physically possible, but it will require them to plan more than 3 days in advance.

They appear to have a great deal of difficulty in turning up on time when they give 3 days notice and there are enough people on here complaining about that.

How much chance do you think there will be of sticking to turning up on time if they gave 2 or 3 weeks notice and how many complaints will that generate?

There's always going to be someone unhappy with how it's done.

I like a lot of "private" as opposed to "pseudo private" service providers had to turn up on time or else our companies would go bust and we would lose our jobs.

Its just about getting the right motivation.

They appear to have a great deal of difficulty in turning up on time when they give 3 days notice and there are enough people on here complaining about that.

How much chance do you think there will be of sticking to turning up on time if they gave 2 or 3 weeks notice and how many complaints will that generate?

:(

And that sums up perfectly the mentality of the public sector worker (well not everyone, obviously).

Why bother pulling your finger out and having a bit of pride in your work by doing a decent job when there's always going to be someone complaining, and you get paid just the same amount anyway? :roll:

Well I've submitted my appeal, with documents proving I was out of the country when the signs went up. I hope I get the money back, though I have been told SCC's default response is to reject appeals of PCNs and you have to then go the adjudicator.

So your justification for giving short notice is that they can't even stick to a 3 day project plan, so how could they possibly stick to a fortnight.

Perhaps they need better management and planning. Or just sacking entirely. It's not like relaying roads is some kind of high variability, unknown work. They know what they're doing and how long it takes, contingency should be built into the plan.

There is no excuse for not being able to meet a plan 3 days or 2 weeks in advance. And it's not like they start 1 day late either is it. They advertise a start date and then turn up sometimes a fortnight later!

Well I've submitted my appeal, with documents proving I was out of the country when the signs went up. I hope I get the money back, though I have been told SCC's default response is to reject appeals of PCNs and you have to then go the adjudicator.

Most parking related first appeals are rejected out of laziness even when you put hardcore evidence with it. I doubt they even read them.

But your appeal with the adjudicator will most likely be heard after a long time of waiting.

All the best, and be patient.

How do Leeds manage it then?

More to do with HE changing the delivery model isn't it? See: https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/highways-england-to-transfer-amey-contract/10015392.article

Amey also won the area 7 contract under the new system, but hey, lets not let a few facts get in the way of knocking Amey / SCC eh?

Yes, maintenance contracts get cancelled half way through all the time...(not)

I'll accept that all the other HE areas are changing to the new delivery model but that's all being done as their current contracts expire, must just be a coincidence that these 2 areas are different.

Do you have any links to how well Amey are doing in Area 7?

Meanwhile the Parking Services are in profit to the tune of 3.4 million, a rise of 0.5 million.

The increase is due to more income from pay and display and temporary parking bay suspensions arising from developments. You might think that both of these are perhaps indicators of the economy picking up a bit.

Income from penalties is actually down on last year.

---------- Post added 12-12-2016 at 13:13 ----------

Yes, maintenance contracts get cancelled half way through all the time...(not)

I'll accept that all the other HE areas are changing to the new delivery model but that's all being done as their current contracts expire, must just be a coincidence that these 2 areas are different.

Do you have any links to how well Amey are doing in Area 7?

I just saw that they won the new contract: http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/wra/news/index.cfm/amey-wins-area-7-maintenance-contract

---------- Post added 12-12-2016 at 13:38 ----------

How do Leeds manage it then?

Probably by having a maintenace programme that is a small fraction of the amount of work Amey are doing.

---------- Post added 12-12-2016 at 13:45 ----------

Most parking related first appeals are rejected out of laziness even when you put hardcore evidence with it. I doubt they even read them.

That certainly doesn't happen in Sheffield. They have a team of people whose job it is to process appeals and penalties do get cancelled at first and second stage apeals.

What sometimes happens in my experience is that the driver doesn't provide enough evidence to allow the council to cancel a penalty at the earlier stages and sometimes only brings out all of the evidence at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal hearing. If they'd mentioned the same things earlier, it would have been cancelled.

And once again. No-one has come up with a practical alternative that works.

Yes we have. Perhaps try reading the thread.

So your justification for giving short notice is that they can't even stick to a 3 day project plan, so how could they possibly stick to a fortnight.

Perhaps they need better management and planning. Or just sacking entirely. It's not like relaying roads is some kind of high variability, unknown work. They know what they're doing and how long it takes, contingency should be built into the plan.

There is no excuse for not being able to meet a plan 3 days or 2 weeks in advance. And it's not like they start 1 day late either is it. They advertise a start date and then turn up sometimes a fortnight later!

..or in our case, not at all. the planned work at Hunters Bar due to take place last month has been deferred to 2017 now