Car towed away whilst on holiday

Entirely true. But by having a notice time of considerably less thana week you don't minimise that as much as possible it's almost as if you picked a period that would maximise the number of cars you catch and have to move.

As to your assertions that it's just fine to require people to pay that money, its nice to know that SCC are as ever doing the right thing and not acting like some bunch of apparachiks. What if someone cannot lay their hands on that much cash and needs the car for work?

What if they don't realise and meekly pay up. I bet a lot of elderly people have done this already. Ditto those from overseas whos command of English isn't perhaps as good as it could.

How do you recover the cars? Are they lifted directly or winched onto a flatbed? If certain cars are not picked up just right you are going to get an expensive repair bill.

Yep - the taxi driver who took me to the pound said the last person he took was now pursuing the tow company for the repair costs to his car (broken back axle apparently). He advised me to check carefully before I drove off for that reason.

Another solution would be don't do the work if there are cars blocking the way, and the road goes to the back of the queue to be done.

Another solution would be don't do the work if there are cars blocking the way, and the road goes to the back of the queue to be done.

That wouldnt work at all, so 99% of people go to the inconvenience of having to move their cars, and the work gets cancelled because of someone who is on holiday or an inconsiderate oik who wont budge their car?

Would annoy a lot more people than the current arrangements.

Nobody is disputing that vehicles need to be moved.

It is very easy it implement a system whereby "qualifying" owners can retrieve their car without advance payment.

So the person who runs the compound where the vehicles are stored is going to be qualified to judge whether some one should have a penalty appeal upheld? And the driver will always have acceptable evidence to prove they've been away available when they come to collect?

This system has been in place for the past four years. There hasn't been any public outcry, has there? If it isn't broke, why fix it?

This system has been in place for the past four years. There hasn't been any public outcry, has there? If it isn't broke, why fix it?

What on Earth do you think this thread is?

What was the debacle on Rustlings road about?

But no ones complained so there problems Im sorry I cant hear you my fingers are in my ears but theres no problems.

But no ones complained so there problems Im sorry I cant hear you my fingers are in my ears but theres no problems.

Nobody on Rustlings Road got their car taken to the pound did they? Unless I misread something.

This thread is a few people on SF having a moan. It doesn't quite cut it for me as a public outcry.

So the person who runs the compound where the vehicles are stored is going to be qualified to judge whether some one should have a penalty appeal upheld? And the driver will always have acceptable evidence to prove they've been away available when they come to collect?

Once again you want to talk about an impracticality based upon your assumption that things work well, rather than understand that there are ways of making it work better.

Nobody said that the decision would rest with a 'compound attendant' ... except you.

I don't dispute that the majority of cars towed away are probably those who were in contravention of signs put up with adequate warning. Let them pay.

What is not acceptable is that persons that have a car towed without reasonable notice or wrongdoing on their part should end up out of pocket or worse.

Edited by cgksheff

This thread is a few people on SF having a moan. It doesn't quite cut it for me as a public outcry.

Well there you go everyone - that's the contempt that SCC have for you it seems.

I'm so glad I got out of that utter hole those years ago - it's not changed and seemingly never will. What was it someone used to say - Sheffield "not fit for motor vehicles".

Things never change.

Once again you want to talk about an impracticality based upon your assumption that things work well, rather than understand that there are ways of making it work better.

Nobody said that the decision would rest with a 'compound attendant' ... except you.

I don't dispute that the majority of cars towed away are probably those who were in contravention of signs put up with adequate warning. Let them pay.

What is not acceptable is that persons that have a car towed without reasonable notice or wrongdoing on their part should end up out of pocket or worse.

And once again. No-one has come up with a practical alternative that works.

Yes they have, notice given more than 3 days in advance. If notice can't be given, don't start work and don't tow cars. Easy.

And once again. No-one has come up with a practical alternative that works.

Yes they have. But you have your fingers in your ears refusing to listen.

You give sufficient notice. That's ALL you need to do. It's not tricky. It's not rocket science - it's simple project management.

As for it only being a few people complaining you seen this?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/drivers-fined-over-80-000-as-cars-towed-away-for-sheffield-road-improvement-works-1-8005189

And of course you have had more people in this thread complaining about it as well where you've replied.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1473868&highlight=car+towed&page=3

and you still think it's only a few?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11441360&postcount=57

Edited by Obelix