Car towed away whilst on holiday

It has already been stated by someone who I assume is in the know

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

What is so funny? He seems to know what the procedure is.

Then the appeal is rejected almost automatically because the system is in meltdown. Up to 50 days before the first appeal is responded to I have been informed. So someone is out of pocket without any chance of recompense for as long as Parking services hold out.

What you need to pay

These fees are payable when you reclaim your vehicle:

◾A parking fine of £70 (or £35 if paid within 14 days)

◾A removal fee of £105

◾Storage fees of £12 per day (after the first 48 hours)

The system is not in "meltdown" at all. They just have a backlog. They tell you how long the backlog is on the council website.

Appeals are treated on merit, they are never rejected "automatically".

There is no statutory timescale for first stage appeal responses. They naturally prioritise the stages of the process that do have statutory timescales for responding.

The way the process works is prescribed by law. The council have to work within it.

---------- Post added 07-12-2016 at 23:20 ----------

If they wanted too I would imagine they can yes. But they would rather drag peoples hard earned cash a few streets away in some sort of told you so lesson learning exercise I guess.

They don't drag your car "a few streets away".

They take your car to a secure depot where it is kept safe for you to collect when you return.

The removal is nothing to do with teaching you a lesson, it's to clear the street so work can be carried out.

I suspect the treatment that the courts are going to give them and the electorate will be entirely about teaching a lesson.

50 days to be out of pocket that length of time? I'd not even wait that long I'd be finding a judge and bending his ear about it but then I know a few and I'm a bit of an a***y git like that when officialdom is clearly taking the mickey.

The system is not in "meltdown" at all. They just have a backlog. They tell you how long the backlog is on the council website.

Appeals are treated on merit, they are never rejected "automatically".

There is no statutory timescale for first stage appeal responses. They naturally prioritise the stages of the process that do have statutory timescales for responding.

The way the process works is prescribed by law. The council have to work within it.

---------- Post added 07-12-2016 at 23:20 ----------

They don't drag your car "a few streets away".

They take your car to a secure depot where it is kept safe for you to collect when you return.

The removal is nothing to do with teaching you a lesson, it's to clear the street so work can be carried out.

Strange … in post #9 you say this … 'My understanding is that those cars got towed to a safe spot just around the corner and the owners were advised were they were, so not a great deal of inconvenience and no cost to the owner'. :huh:

Strange … in post #9 you say this … 'My understanding is that those cars got towed to a safe spot just around the corner and the owners were advised were they were, so not a great deal of inconvenience and no cost to the owner'. :huh:

I believe one example was the Police towing cars away round the corner, whilst the Rustlings Road trees were being felled, the other was the removal to a secure compound by the council/Amey's contractors.

YOU really talk crap planner , we were in the the same boat and if it wasnt for some helpful people on here we would not have got our money back ,we went went right to the top of the council and found out the name of the top person ,who couldnt apolagise enough and said she wasnt happy about the way amey was going about things , and she would bring this up at the next meeting ,

I'm sure had you followed the procedure you would have got your money back, nothing like a bit of melodrama at 3am in the morning...

You need to read the thread.

When the council tow a vehicle it is always taken to the conractors compound.

The vehicles which were moved around the corner were towed by the Police, who operate differently to the council.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 09:12 ----------

I suspect the treatment that the courts are going to give them and the electorate will be entirely about teaching a lesson.

50 days to be out of pocket that length of time? I'd not even wait that long I'd be finding a judge and bending his ear about it but then I know a few and I'm a bit of an a***y git like that when officialdom is clearly taking the mickey.

A court would not deal with a matter like that because there is a regulated process in place to address any dissatisfaction with penalties issued.

Drivers have to go through the regulated process.

---------- Post added 08-12-2016 at 09:16 ----------

YOU really talk crap planner , we were in the the same boat and if it wasnt for some helpful people on here we would not have got our money back ,we went went right to the top of the council and found out the name of the top person ,who couldnt apolagise enough and said she wasnt happy about the way amey was going about things , and she would bring this up at the next meeting ,

I am afraid you are wrong.

You may have spoken to a politician, but, by law, neither politicians nor senior council officers can intervene in the process of an appeal against a penalty. Only the appeals team can deal with it and they must decide whether an appeal can be upheld.

I cannot believe that you would advocate that everyone should receive a letter

How much would that cost?

It would not help anyone away on holiday for 2 weeks, if the letter arrived the day after they left home.

I didn't advocate anything.

I stated that we hadn't had a letter in response to someone claiming that everyone was sent a letter. :roll:

A court would not deal with a matter like that because there is a regulated process in place to address any dissatisfaction with penalties issued.

Drivers have to go through the regulated process.

If the appeals process delay is excessive then a court will get very interested in a valid writ - they really don't like delays to justice of any form especially when one party is playing silly buggers. Or do you really think it acceptable that someone is deprived of their vehicle for a couple of months whilst an appeal works through the system?

I'm going to guess that he thinks it's okay that someone is deprived of several hundred pounds for several months, instead of the vehicle.

IE they pay to have it released, and then appeal the charge.

But for some people this will put them into a financially untenable position.