Idiot cyclist tonight on Commonside

They're a law unto themselves, a danger to everyone, a threat to world peace and humanity as we know it.

Insurance is a fair point, as for the rules of the road, 'cyclists' are just road users on a particular mode of transport. They often also drive. There's no distinctive behaviour caused by using a bike. All road users should obey the rules, all the time. Many don't.

Can I ask, what is your avatar picture??

A cautionary tale for drivers and cyclists. I meet up with fellow cyclists and find those that need head cameras are those that should be examining the footage more closely for their own actions and in-actions. Glad everyone is in one piece.

Tell that to someone who was chased and beaten up for protecting a girl who was being harassed by some lads in an Audi. Police did nothing, now wears a camera when cycling.

I got abused and deliberatry knocked from my bike on a kerb segregated cycle lane. Simply for being a cyclist. Police did nothing, now wear a camera.

In fact in our cycle user group more than half of cyclists now use head cams. The footage I see is of incidents for which the cyclist could have taken no action, like close passes.

Edited by biotechpete

Is it a legal requirement to have lights on your bike if you are out on it after dark?

I'm pretty sure it used to be, at least it was when I did my cycling proficiency test, but we're going back a bit....

And who exactly enforces this legal requirement?

Police in Manchester stopped and fined almost 1 cyclist per minute for light/reflector infringements in October. They have a blitz every year.

So how much insurance should be charged for your 5 year old in the park?

they meant cyclists on the ROAD. :roll:

Police in Manchester stopped and fined almost 1 cyclist per minute for light/reflector infringements in October. They have a blitz every year.

This doesn't surprise me at all. When they can issue fines the police seem very efficient.

Speaking as someone who also cycles, people like this drive me insane. When I take to the road I assume everyone is out to run me over, whether intentionally or otherwise! Precautionary principle has kept me more or less unscathed for the past 17 years.

I can't understand them either.

I have 3 forwards and 2 rear lights. I'd rather give motorists every chance to see me!

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 13:04 ----------

Tell that to someone who was chased and beaten up for protecting a girl who was being harassed by some lads in an Audi. Police did nothing, now wears a camera when cycling.

I got abused and deliberatry knocked from my bike on a kerb segregated cycle lane. Simply for being a cyclist. Police did nothing, now wear a camera.

In fact in our cycle user group more than half of cyclists now use head cams. The footage I see is of incidents for which the cyclist could have taken no action, like close passes.

I use a camera mostly in order to have some evidence if a motorists hits me. I got the camera after someone came close to killing me by turning left whilst still overtaking me.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 13:04 ----------

Who enforces the legal requirement that cars follow the laws of the road? Whatever your answer is, it applies to cycles as well. :roll:

I have 3 forwards and 2 rear lights. I'd rather give motorists every chance to see me!

^This

Plus when I had to jump off a kerb to avoid a car driving along the cycle path and happened to land hitting a pothole, my rear light flew off without my noticing (I assume it was then), it meant I still had a rear light plus the one on my backpack.

And if a front light battery goes flat I have a reserve

.....now if only motorists carried spare bulbs and checked their lights (or took notice of the warnings now coming as standard to an increasing number of cars)......

I have 3 front, 2 rear and an amber side light. Last Tuesday an idiot motorist on Commonside failed to see me. He was coming out of Sidney Road I had to bail to the side of the road by the bus stop. Maybe he did see me and decided his journey was more important than mine. The bloke behind offered his camera footage but no point as we had no reg number

Was hit by a taxi (private cab) on Commonside a few year back. He swore blind I had no lights till the witness in the car behind pointed out that I had lights and a hiviz jacket. He changed his story to something about being distracted by the shop lights before handing over his address details.

I’m not convinced the whole lights and hiviz mantra makes a blind bit of difference to some drivers but ill carry on riding round like a Christmas tree if only to stop these threads on forums. And yes the unlit riders annoy me as much everyone else.

Compulsory eye test every 5 years to keep your licence maybe?

As west midlands police say, don’t assume the driver has seen you even if you make eye contact, look at the wheels of the vehicle in question.

If you'd have hit him though it would have been your fault. I always see signs 'think bike'. However I see more and more moron bikers everyday! Whether that be on a cycle or motorbike, however the focus is always on the car driver to 'think bike'. Why not on the biker to 'ride safely!!'

I haven't been on the forum for a while however feel this needs mentioning in order to both protect another innocent motorist from the small number of idiots who ride bikes and who give the majority of good cyclists who ride bikes very well bad press.

This specifically relates to the person on Commonside at Walkley on the junction of Barber Road tonight at 17.15 (Friday 2nd December). If you are reading this I gave way to a car (it was a ford focus) at the junction however I never saw you for the following reasons:

You had no front light on your bike and it was dark

The street lighting just there was quite poor (just at the top past PA before it drops down into the dip)

I note you did however have a head camera....but no front light

You are very good at hand signals which could've been avoided had you had a bright top on and a front light

You were dressed entirely in one those tight lycra things however it was black in colour hence I didn't see you

I only saw very briefly your backlight hence I braked suddenly to avoid you which I thought was rather commendable though your hand signals said otherwise

The next time you may not be so lucky, go to a shop and buy one of those bright yellow tops (yes you can buy them in skin tight lycra for just a few Pounds) and a front light before you end up protesting your innocence having been knocked off your bike. Maybe the yellow top may clash with the black lycra thing and you may look like a wasp but its significantly better than being knocked off your bike, unless of course you do have a death wish?

Also it should be mentioned had it been someone else with a different view to mine they may have stopped you further on and asked you to explain your hand signals in more detail and face to face, think about that the next time

Its not rocket science, a couple of hundred metres on their were two cyclists both with visible tops on and lights front and rear. I like everyone else can see them. You however are an accident waiting to happen!

To say you couldn't see the cyclist, you observed quite a lot about them. Nothing like a bit of embellishment to add substance to your utterly pointless observation.