Another post box gone

I'm told the post box at the corner of Mulehouse Road & Stannington View Road in Crookes has been blocked up. We seem to have lost a lot of post boxes across Sheffield, not to mention post offices. I don't think privatisation is doing us any favours...

I don't think privatisation is doing us any favours...

I and a few other posties on here warned you all about that at the time.

Sadly the Post Office seems to have lost it's way. With the closure of dedicated Offices in favour of the horrid booths within supermarkets, coupled with the public interrogation one has to go through in order to post simple parcel, I use it as little as possible now. There are plenty of other carriers just as efficient and who treat their customers with more respect. The only thing they seem good for is letter post, so if they are closing post boxes it looks like more self-inflicted harm.

First post boxes, now trees.

WHAT EVER NEXT.

Need more competition on post as the royal mail service is awful

Guest makapaka

Lack of demand for hand post now as well isn't there.

Lack of demand for hand post now as well isn't there.

If it wasn't for the reams of junk mail that come through the door, we would receive very little post. Greetings cards, the occasional personal letter, and council tax/water rates notices once a year is about all of any consequence.

There's an awful lot of time, money and energy spent on delivering mail that just goes straight in the blue bin. How on earth did we get into that situation?

If it wasn't for the reams of junk mail that come through the door, we would receive very little post. Greetings cards, the occasional personal letter, and council tax/water rates notices once a year is about all of any consequence.

There's an awful lot of time, money and energy spent on delivering mail that just goes straight in the blue bin. How on earth did we get into that situation?

The answer to your question in a word - Internet. Most written communication today is emailed including on-line bills, bank statements etc. Friends keep in touch via Facebook. The world changes!

The answer to your question in a word - Internet. Most written communication today is emailed including on-line bills, bank statements etc. Friends keep in touch via Facebook. The world changes!

That is true, but conversely, there has been a massive increase in internet commerce, a huge quantities of goods are now purchased on the internet. Some body has to deliver them ! Even allowing for organisations with their own delivery system, there is still a huge amount of scope.

"There's an awful lot of time, money and energy spent on delivering mail that just goes straight in the blue bin. How on earth did we get into that situation?"

Not sure "Internet" is the answer to that question, or if I was even expecting an answer, but thanks anyway :)

That is true, but conversely, there has been a massive increase in internet commerce, a huge quantities of goods are now purchased on the internet. Some body has to deliver them ! Even allowing for organisations with their own delivery system, there is still a huge amount of scope.

I shop on the Internet a fair bit and most goods are delivered by Hermes et al. Interestingly in dozens of deliveries over the years there have only been a couple of instances of goods arriving damaged - both of which came via the parcels arm of the Royal Mail. One was a handbag! Damaging a packed handbag takes a bit of doing, but the parcel looked like it had been run over by a fork lift and then dragged across a concrete floor! The metal clasp on the front of the bag was broken!

Re the mail destined straight for the bin, much of mine is addressed to 'the occupier' and the rest comes from organisations with whom I've never had contact and therefore don't have my email address.

Edited by kaytie

On the other hand. I couldnt understand why the Post Office on Shoreham Street moved into the corner shop until I checked the opening times and could post a parcel at 9.00 at night, instead of having to do it on my way to work and hoping people didnt notice i was late.