Another post box gone

Thanks to privatisation Royal Mail who deliver and collect our mail is separated from the Post Office who provide the counter services in shops. By allowing competition we have many different courier companies all flying around with differing procedures if the recipient can't be at home to accept delivery. This may have kept the prices down, although some would argue that one delivery body woud save on duplication of a lot of effort, reduce traffic, and keep prices even further down.

There are probably too many post boxes to satisfy the numbers of letters now being posted. Some only receive letters two or three days a week, making the cost of collection very high. Maintaining the boxes is a major expense, which explains why so many look so dilapidated. It's likely we'll lose more boxes unless they get used more, and that's not very likely.

Post offices are disappearing too. The range of services now offered doesn't generate enough income to make it economically viable in very many shops. Changes in the contracts between the Post Office and hosting shop keepers are leading many to pack up the Post Office operation.

Privatisation is a small part of all this. It's the total changes in society that make the greater differences, the internet particularly.

Used to use postbox at least twice a week.

I have not used one for 3 months now.

To me the logic is same as why people stopped using cassette audio.

The word on the street is that the postman mislaid the key to this box for a while. It's back in use now!

In my local Spar shop the Post Office got reduced to a booth at the tills, that the Spar shop staff have to man. I'd be a bit miffed if I was a Spar shop employee doing work for the Post Office! how does that work?

Another thing that has contributed to the demise of the post office is money being paid directly in to bank accounts- pensions as well as benefits.

In my local Spar shop the Post Office got reduced to a booth at the tills, that the Spar shop staff have to man. I'd be a bit miffed if I was a Spar shop employee doing work for the Post Office! how does that work?

The Spar will have bought the franchise so it will be the Spar staff working the counter. Our local Co-op has a fortress style branch which opens mon-fri 9-5 and closes an hour for lunch and Saturday 9-1. At all other times you use the main tills in the store which one till has the post office logo on it. The staff man this if you require the post office services. You can do most post office transactions there. I do the chippy banking 10pm at nights when we close. I have just been and sent a parcel this afternoon.

Another thing that has contributed to the demise of the post office is money being paid directly in to bank accounts- pensions as well as benefits.

As I refuse to open a bank account I still have mine paid into a PO account. I had a phone call from the DWP telling me that I need to open a bank account as the DWP were soon to stop PO accounts. The woman on the phone was a bit miffed when I pointed out that they had extended the PO contract till 2021 and asked her to phone back at the end of 2020.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 15:17 ----------

The word on the street is that the postman mislaid the key to this box for a while. It's back in use now!

Not sure that is correct, to block the box they have to access the inside and screw a plate on.

The Spar will have bought the franchise so it will be the Spar staff working the counter. Our local Co-op has a fortress style branch which opens mon-fri 9-5 and closes an hour for lunch and Saturday 9-1. At all other times you use the main tills in the store which one till has the post office logo on it. The staff man this if you require the post office services. You can do most post office transactions there. I do the chippy banking 10pm at nights when we close. I have just been and sent a parcel this afternoon.

"which opens mon-fri 9-5 and closes an hour for lunch and Saturday 9-1"

"I do the chippy banking 10pm at nights when we close"

How?

"which opens mon-fri 9-5 and closes an hour for lunch and Saturday 9-1"

"I do the chippy banking 10pm at nights when we close"

How?

If you mean how I do the banking you can pay in to some bank accounts through the post office.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

I noticed today both boxes outside Sainsbury's at the University tram stop are now out of action.

I noticed today both boxes outside Sainsbury's at the University tram stop are now out of action.

That brings back memories. Before Hanover Way became a dual carriageway there was one box situated on Glossop Road, just above the barracks. When it was removed a smaller round box was placed outside what was then the Midland Bank. It wasn't big enough. At that time, mid 1980s, a lot of offices nearby were still sending a lot of letters and using stamps. A second square box was provided. Last time I worked near there was late 1990s and by then the bigger post users were franking their mail and taking it to the Post Office next door to Boots.

I doubt there'll have been a need for two boxes for almost 20 years, especially now that so much goes by email.