Should I be allowed to burn the flag if I want to?

Old hat, burning stuff. Same as burning your bra (not me personally). So long as you've bought it, or got the owner's permission to do so, nothing wrong … apart from stupid and a waste of money.

No it doesn't, burning a poppy causes offence to people and burning a Qur'an also causes offence to people.

Indeed. I would argue that acts of burning and banning are both signs that freedom of expression is not being tolerated. The most intolerant (and therefore dangerous) being those that would ban others from causing them such offence whilst practising such behaviour themselves.

Should I be allowed the burn the Union Jack if I want to, or should, as Mr Trump tweeted the other day, flag burners face a year in jail or losing their citizenship?

Until burning flags becomes a 'hate crime' in this country, you probably are allowed, though it may offend some people, besides we don't live in the USA so what Trump tweeted won't be law here, however would burning the Union Jack be tolerated while burning other national flags not :suspect:

I am proud to be a citizen of these British Isles, I am proud to be an English man, I am proud to be a South Yorkshire man, I am proud of our Union Flag and our Flag of St George.

"Should I be allowed to burn the flag if I want to" my answer would be yes, provided I did not see you do it, otherwise we would be having words.

Angel1.

Just who was St George who's flag you are so proud of? He certainly was not British in fact he is thought to be born in what is now Turkey and is thought to be buried in Palestine. Interestingly the Romani people of Eastern Europe consider him to be their patron saint also.

I am proud to be a citizen of these British Isles, I am proud to be an English man, I am proud to be a South Yorkshire man, I am proud of our Union Flag and our Flag of St George.

"Should I be allowed to burn the flag if I want to" my answer would be yes, provided I did not see you do it, otherwise we would be having words.

Angel1.

What if I'm burning flags with other rubbish in my garden? I've had a 'God Save The Queen' party, and I have excess flags left over, so decide to burn a few? A few flags, a few photos of HRH, that sort of stuff? Would that offend?

Flag burning in the USA is a constitutionally protected right under the First Amendment. Trumps going to have to stuff SCOTUS first and get that overturned.

If you want to burn a bit of cloth that you own in the UK crack on. Just be careful of breach of the peace, that wonderful catch all clause.....

That is correct in that it is possible to burn the US flag on the other side of the pond as it is protected by the first amendment. Trump can give all the rhetoric he wants, it isn't going anywhere.

The answer is yes.

The wider issue is that this is another example of Trump playing distraction whack-a-mole with everyone so that nobody really gets a quiet moment to focus on the really worrying things about him.

The answer is yes.

The wider issue is that this is another example of Trump playing distraction whack-a-mole with everyone so that nobody really gets a quiet moment to focus on the really worrying things about him.

Like the man he just appointed Health Secretary today.

For (yet another-) instance.

Like the man he just appointed Health Secretary today.

For (yet another-) instance.

Exactly, another one of many.

That is correct in that it is possible to burn the US flag on the other side of the pond as it is protected by the first amendment. Trump can give all the rhetoric he wants, it isn't going anywhere.

Or he can put forward a constitutional amendment to forbid it and try to get it passed with the required super-majorities in both houses of congress and by 3/4 of the state legislatures.

Or he can put forward a constitutional amendment to forbid it and try to get it passed with the required super-majorities in both houses of congress and by 3/4 of the state legislatures.

It'd be a real shame if he focused on that constitutional amendment when there is such a need for one to get money out of politics.

When you have worn the Three Lions on your chest, our Flags (adopted or not) do mean a great deal.

Angel1.