The Price of Air

I'd bet those machines cost a few grand. Then they need power, servicing and maintenance.

You can buy a small compressor that plugs into your fag lighter for about a tenner, it tucks under your seat when not in use.

You can buy a small compressor that plugs into your fag lighter for about a tenner, it tucks under your seat when not in use.

Yes or a foot pump as I use.

You might say what price is safety, but filling stations charging for air will put people off from checking their tyres. It always used to be free as an attraction to fill up with petrol. It still works for me, I'll fill up in preference where I can get free air.

If you're that stupid to not check your tyre pressure because the machine charges a token amount then you shouldn't be in control of a car.

You shouldn't put off basic checks because you're a tight git!

If you're that stupid to not check your tyre pressure because the machine charges a token amount then you shouldn't be in control of a car.

You shouldn't put off basic checks because you're a tight git!

Absolutely! I am sick of people whingeing about not getting stuff for free.... nobody owes you anything. You don't like to pay a petrol station for their equipment and electricity? Fine... it's not compulsory...no one is forcing you to use their equipment.

Do what sensible people with forethought do.. buy a small pump that plugs in in your car, costs about £10, and you can use it free for years.

Alternatively, you can not bother to think ahead, just wait till you need to pump up your tyres, and then whinge because the world hasn't provided you with a free (or cheap) service.

The margin on petrol has diminished so much in recent years, garages can't afford to subsidise other services. And why should they?

Think ahead and save money.

Duh.

Edited by martyn1949

Yes, that's what I suggested in post 2. That's what I've got. Not often it gets used, but essential piece of kit.

when one station gives it you for free, (Morrisons) and the other charges £1, its worth a good whinge is it not?

---------- Post added 30-11-2016 at 12:40 ----------

Absolutely! I am sick of people whingeing about not getting stuff for free.... nobody owes you anything. You don't like to pay a petrol station for their equipment and electricity? Fine... it's not compulsory...no one is forcing you to use their equipment.

Do what sensible people with forethought do.. buy a small pump that plugs in in your car, costs about £10, and you can use it free for years.

Alternatively, you can not bother to think ahead, just wait till you need to pump up your tyres, and then whinge because the world hasn't provided you with a free (or cheap) service.

The margin on petrol has diminished so much in recent years, garages can't afford to subsidise other services. And why should they?

Think ahead and save money.

Duh.

My Bold

when one station gives it you for free, (Morrisons) and the other charges £1, its worth a good whinge is it not?

Comes on here to moan about a quid....haha,some people!

the point being it went up from £0.50 To a £1.00 Thats disgusting,

If it gets used 50, times a day (around twice per hour) - reasonable for a 24, hour period, that equals £2,600, per year. Are you seriously saying this is not profiteering ?

Still, on the bright side, they seem at last to have taught the woman behind the counter to say please and thank you.

I guess the electricity to run it is free, and it will never need maintenance.

Why don't you ask to use other machinery for free as well, perhaps an entire car?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 22:00 ----------

Perhaps when you spend £40 at Tesco they should let you have a free turnip?

Not many months ago, Tesco were knocking 5p a litre off their petrol if you spent £50 shopping. Much better than your free turnip.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 30-11-2016 at 12:40 ----------

My Bold

Morrisons are making big bucks on their grocery sales, most independent stand alone petrol stations do not have this luxury. The petrol at Crookes is usually pretty competitive which to me is more important.