Amey At It Again

What a farce this wants stopping now, our council should get involved because they have employed this company. Amey are robbing the Sheffield council in more ways than one but they just can't be bothered to do anything about it.

The problem is there probably isn't anything they can do about it. It wouldn't amount to breach of contract so legally the council will have few options. The problem is privatisation in the first place. Privatisation means loss of accountability and transparency. For example Lazarus could make a Freedom of Information request to ask what happened to the stones. If that request went to a Council they would have to respond. If it went to Amey they could cite commercial confidentiality and refuse to respond.

Tory controlled Bath and North East Somerset have just handed their social care and mental health services to Virgin. This is madness. Enough privatisation already. Vote out privatisers at the next opportunity.

The problem is there probably isn't anything they can do about it. It wouldn't amount to breach of contract so legally the council will have few options. The problem is privatisation in the first place. Privatisation means loss of accountability and transparency. For example Lazarus could make a Freedom of Information request to ask what happened to the stones. If that request went to a Council they would have to respond. If it went to Amey they could cite commercial confidentiality and refuse to respond.

Tory controlled Bath and North East Somerset have just handed their social care and mental health services to Virgin. This is madness. Enough privatisation already. Vote out privatisers at the next opportunity.

The coping stones that kicked off this thread were stolen by some kind of manager at Amey, then proceeded to lie about, saying only three were left after the other seventeen were stolen by other unknown people. The coping stones had been in situ for over fifty years until someone at Amey took a fancy to them and then around £2,000 worth of stone coping went.

The coping stones that kicked off this thread were stolen by some kind of manager at Amey, then proceeded to lie about, saying only three were left after the other seventeen were stolen by other unknown people. The coping stones had been in situ for over fifty years until someone at Amey took a fancy to them and then around £2,000 worth of stone coping went.

All credit to you for highlighting it. SCC are hardly perfect, but having worked for them I would find it very unlikely that this would happen under SCC management.

The coping stones that kicked off this thread were stolen by some kind of manager at Amey, then proceeded to lie about

Stolen in a personal capacity, rather than for the company?

Seen some of these stones disappear few at a time from canal towpath under Attercliffe footbridge.

Drove past here today and all the original coping stones on the wall to the left have gone, and have been replaced by horrible looking new ones.

Stolen in a personal capacity, rather than for the company?

I think it was a personal theft.

Have you seen how many York stone slabs have been removed in Greystones by Amey? Thousands and thousands of pounds worth.. I get the feeling someone or a few Amey workers have some nice new rather valuble fresh patios...

They have killed the look of Greystones..

good for you Lazarus those coping stones have been there for generations when the farm was there more than 70 years ago Amey should put back any damage they have done and leave well alone :help:

I contacted the Star but because I declined a photograph at the wall, the story was shelved. I have contacted the council but they don't seem bothered APART from Cllr Jayne Dunn who's Chair of Housing and she has instructed Amey to return the stones but I think they have already been sold on.

Well, the Star are rubbish then.

This is as bad, if not worse, than the Rustlings Tree scandal.

good for you Lazarus those coping stones have been there for generations when the farm was there more than 70 years ago Amey should put back any damage they have done and leave well alone :help:

It makes the new ones look even more cheap when remaining original ones can be plainly seen on the wall on the other side of the old gateway.

I've passed this road widening on about thirty occasions in the past 5 weeks at different times of the day, and have only seen men working twice.