Amey At It Again

Once again Amey are trying to lie their way out of a situation, on Gleadless Road near to roadworks at the junction of Blackstock Road, one of their managers instructed a couple of workers to remove flat stone coping stones around twenty or so and they were replaced by cheap concrete paving slabs. When challenged by myself and Cllr Jayne Dunn they said that all of the stones on the wall had been stolen bar three, so being public minded, they removed these last three and put on the pavement slabs. Fortunately I have photos proving not one stone had been stolen and Amey had the nerve to tell me, if I had any information on who stole all the coping stones that I should inform the Police, so informing them I had photographic evidence that they stole them, I would do as they suggested and I'm going to inform the Police, by today two days after no reply from Amey.

Edited by Groose

Be interesting to hear what outcome is on this situation

get the council involved and the star . please let us know how the liars are dealt with

Be interesting to hear what outcome is on this situation

Agreed, very interesting.

Years ago I asked the boss of a gardening firm I paid to carry a couple of natural stones (around 100 lbs each) across the road to my lovely elderly neighbours. He was mostly in a wheelchair and they would like the stones so he could still sit in the garden without being in his chair.

Two days later I came home to see the gardeners hoisting the stones into the back of their van. I queried them and they said their boss had instructed them to take them away. I questioned why they hadn't put them in the neighbours' garden like I asked and after a while it became clear that they could sell the stones for a good amount.

Got on the phone and one of the two lads was sacked an hour later as it was the third time he had tried to steal valuable stones.

get the council involved and the star . please let us know how the liars are dealt with

I contacted the Star but because I declined a photograph at the wall, the story was shelved. I have contacted the council but they don't seem bothered APART from Cllr Jayne Dunn who's Chair of Housing and she has instructed Amey to return the stones but I think they have already been sold on.

I contacted the Star but because I declined a photograph at the wall, the story was shelved. I have contacted the council but they don't seem bothered APART from Cllr Jayne Dunn who's Chair of Housing and she has instructed Amey to return the stones but I think they have already been sold on.

What a farce this wants stopping now, our council should get involved because they have employed this company. Amey are robbing the Sheffield council in more ways than one but they just can't be bothered to do anything about it.

What a farce this wants stopping now, our council should get involved because they have employed this company. Amey are robbing the Sheffield council in more ways than one but they just can't be bothered to do anything about it.

The council are just Ameys puppet. Amey pulls the strings where this road contract is concerned.

Are you talking about the original stone kerbstones there on Priestley St? And have they been replaced or are you saying Amey has taken them?

If you follow that google link and then go back to the earliest photo dated 2008, you will see the original yorkstone flags. They have now been replaced by tarmac and it looks far worse

Could be seen as gross misconduct and provide the SCC a 'get out of jail card' that they can use to dismiss Amey and remove themselves from the contract that I would imagine they have regrets in signing.

Guest makapaka
Could be seen as gross misconduct and provide the SCC a 'get out of jail card' that they can use to dismiss Amey and remove themselves from the contract that I would imagine they have regrets in signing.

I don't know about the detail but it wouldn't lend to the council being able to terminate Amey for an issue of this scale.

Most likely that if it were true the individuals perpetrators of the misconduct would be disciplined and amey asked to correct the works.

Terminating a contract of this scale for an issue of this kind would not be cost effective.

To be fair, if you look at the earlier Sep 2015 images of that street you can actually see them doing the tarmac work, and the slabs that still remain look awful. Most look broken. Presumably they were working to requirements from the council? Imagine the uproar if they'd spent 100k on new slabs on every little backstreet, it's bad enough when they spend money on things in the town centre.

Everyone seems to be crying foul, but Amey may well have the right to do what they want with the materials being taken away, and any embezzlement by their staff is Amey's problem, not that of the council.