Why aren't men frightened of mice & spiders?

A friend of mine who's retired is scared to death of Spiders, sooner than catching them in the house and putting them outside he kills them.

I don't mind mice at all (or even rats) but I can't stand (large) house spiders.

I do however take after my mother (who is terrified of them) so perhaps that's why.

Ditto and ditto.

These fears in girls and women are caused by foolish and unnecessary 'gender appropriate' training. Let us hope that in the future this becomes so out-moded that children will be astonished that it ever took place. Then only those with genuine phobias can seek treatment for them.

A lot of men aren't keen on the bigger spiders, but they tend not to scream when confronted with one.

I think the myths and stories about them don't help,

Things like you eat over 8 spiders in your sleep in your lift time, Daddy Long legs have the worse venom in the world but no Fangs, all false yet make them scarier than they are..

Never used to bother catching and taking spiders out (unless Mrs L00b or Miss L00b saw them and asked) before we had a dog...but now I do, so the dog won't catch and eat them first :rolleyes::help: (I'll confess to letting him at the 'larger' specimens though :blush::hihi:)

Mice though, I'm afraid there's no holding the dog back. Not-a-chance. Worse than a red rag to a bull. He'd just bide his time until we're not looking/holding and he'd be straight at them. I've seen him rip off kitchen kickboards (at friends' house in countryside) to get at them (friends were grateful, they didn't realise they were infested, just kept wondering where did all their freshly baked/cooked stuff kept disappearing from kitchen counter! :gag::hihi:)

Edited by L00b

I don't mind either and I certainly know men that are scared of both ?

Why aren't men frightened of mice & spiders?,

Little Miss Muffet not Master Muffet was frightened by a giant spider.

Nursery Ryymes influence small children greatly.

Films re enforce the message.

Simples.

I'm wary of most 'wildlife' and generally give it a wide berth. Why would I chance being bitten or stung by something that I could be allergic too. I move spiders, bees,wasps, etc. outside. If you think that spiders in the UK aren't dangerous take a look here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24636116

I don't mind spiders, i dont want them crawling all over me dont get me wrong but i dont mind them and i dont like to see them get squished.. As for mice, i love the little critters, i love all sorts of rodents especially rats! I'm still contemplating on getting a pet rat.. Awsome little creatures..

What i cannot stand though, and i absolutely HATE them and see no point in their existence are wasps!!!!!!! Why do they have to exist???? the poor bee population are dying out and then theres these horrible bullies still around in abundance..... Grrrrrrr :rant:

I can't say I like wasps but don't hurt them either, they eat an awful lot of other pests so I won't have a wasp trap in the garden.