The Normalisation of Deviance

To be honest i have a lot of sympathy for he family, however what is the difference in her and and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-60734/Workers-baked-alive-bread-factory-horror.html both doing their jobs

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:51 ----------

i guess it can be said that work place accident get normalized

Are you serious?

Have you just attempted to compare an act of neo-nazi terrorism to a tragic baking accident?

Is 'normalisation of deviance' happening (if it is happening,) as a reaction to 'political correctness' which seems to me to be the opposite, and to have also gone too far the other way?

As with all things, is there not a middle way, which allows people to express themselves honestly, which I personally think is their right, without giving offence when none was intended.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding your point.

too true, not sliding away from a topic

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:57 ----------

Are you serious?

Have you just attempted to compare an act of neo-nazi terrorism to a tragic baking accident?

just a min you suggesting that their life meant any less

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:03 ----------

im suggesting that a guy that liked to collect medal from the second world war and was a fantasist who was somewhat mentally unstable did a terrible thing.

Edited by phil752

Is 'normalisation of deviance' happening (if it is happening,) as a reaction to 'political correctness' which seems to me to be the opposite, and to have also gone too far the other way?

As with all things, is there not a middle way, which allows people to express themselves honestly, which I personally think is their right, without giving offence when none was intended.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding your point.

No, it is happening in relation to the lie propagated by several key political figures that the problems of a group of economically-disadvantaged people who have been cut adrift by the political policy-making that has brought about globalisation, can be blamed upon a different group of equally economically-disadvantaged people who are slightly different from them.

That lie was started by Farage and Trump, and it has since become socially-acceptable to scapegoat/other those who are different. That is shifting the Overton Window in a negative direction.

The next phase of that appears to be taking shape in the rebranding of Neo-Nazis as Alt-Right (a nicely sanitised term) with Richard Spencer dressed like a hipster whilst delivering dangerous, deluded and hateful rhetoric.

https://news.vice.com/story/watch-richard-spencer-rally-the-alt-right-america-is-white-peoples-creation

Richard Spencer is a Neo-Nazi and has been mentored and praised by Steve Bannon, Donald Trump's chief strategist.

If you support Trump then you are partially aligning yourself with the normalisation of Neo-Nazism.

Are you aware of that?

Are you okay with that?

Edited by mikem8634

i again suggest that your view are quite narrow on good and bad

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:13 ----------

No, it is happening in relation to the lie propagated by several key political figures that the problems of a group of economically-disadvantaged people who have been cut adrift by the political policy-making that has brought about globalisation, can be blamed upon a different group of equally economically-disadvantaged people who are slightly different from them.

That lie was started by Farage and Trump, and it has since become socially-acceptable to scapegoat other those who are different. That is shifting the Overton Window in a negative direction.

The next phase of that appears to be taking shape in the rebranding of Neo-Nazis as Alt-Right (a nicely sanitised term) with Richard Spencer dressed like a hipster whilst delivering dangerous, deluded and hateful rhetoric.

https://news.vice.com/story/watch-richard-spencer-rally-the-alt-right-america-is-white-peoples-creation

Richard Spencer is a Neo-Nazi and has been mentored and praised by Steve Bannon, Donald Trump's chief strategist.

If you support Trump then you are partially aligning yourself with the normalisation of Neo-Nazism.

Are you aware of that?

Are you okay with that?

ok let run with this i call some one ++++++++ and they are of a different color is that racism?

they call someone+++++++++ who is white is that the same ?

Edited by phil752

just a min you suggesting that their life meant any less

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:03 ----------

im suggesting that a guy that liked to collect medal from the second world war and was a fantasist who was somewhat mentally unstable did a terrible thing.

Absolutely not.

I am suggesting that a baking accident is not relevant to a discussion about the normalisation of racism and Neo-Nazism. Call me mad.

By calling him a mentally unstable fantasist you minimize the role politics played in making and breaking him. Yes, those things also played a role, but he shouted 'Britain First' as he murdered a pro-EU politician after spending years being lied-to about how foreigners and immigrants were the source of all of his fears and problems.

You are normalising deviance.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:16 ----------

i again suggest that your view are quite narrow on good and bad

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:13 ----------

ok let run with this i call some one ++++++++ and they are of a different colour is that racism?

Sadly you are becoming less and less coherent. I don't have a clue what you are asking me. Probably time to call it a night.

Edited by mikem8634

Absolutely not.

I am suggesting that a baking accident is not relevant to a discussion about the normalisation of racism and Neo-Nazism. Call me mad.

By calling him a mentally unstable fantasist you minimize the role politics played in making and breaking him. Yes, those things also played a role, but he shouted 'Britain First' as he murdered a pro-EU politician after spending years being lied-to about how foreigners and immigrants were the source of all of his fears and problems.

You are normalising deviance.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:16 ----------

Sadly you are becoming less and less coherent. I don't have a clue what you are asking me. Probably time to call it a night.

not really i am suggesting the former would report it hence a racist crime.

the Baker death was due to pressure in the work place in reality it was not an accident more a death at the political climate small companies are put upon in the present climate.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:29 ----------

sadly the same as your a guy who feel so defranchised he delusionally take matters into is own hands

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:31 ----------

Im not trying to normalise anything

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 02:34 ----------

Immigrant are not the source of our fears the people who exploit them are, that when having a huge group of cheap workers can then dedicate terms to our workforce

Edited by phil752

That lie was started by Farage and Trump, and it has since become socially-acceptable to scapegoat other those who are different. That is shifting the Overton Window in a negative direction.

Are you aware of that?

Are you okay with that?

I don't support Trump.

Just because I didn't support Hillary Clinton either, it doesn't necessarily follow that I support Trump.

I don't support Trump.

Just because I didn't support Hillary Clinton either, it doesn't necessarily follow that I support Trump.

IHB that it matters not to us on this side of the pond who won, although we may be not back of the line ,opps what would did he use.

Edited by phil752

It is legitimate to say that not all voters for Trump, Farage and Brexit are racist.

However, because the terms racist/racism have been over-zealously applied by some throughout the recent political upheaval, are we in danger of not using it when it is accurate and necessary?

Are we at risk of sitting by and letting a highly dangerous normalisation of deviance take place?

For reference - The normalization of deviance is defined as: “The gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behaviour is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organization."

I was working recently and a group of young lads who were on a youth training programme (bad lads class let's call it) were working close to me but couldn't see me around the corner, these lads were 18-21 I'd say I think they were 3 possibly 4 of them, 2 were white 1 was black not sure if another was lurking around of any colour. Anyway I was earwigging them and they were whinging about the work they'd been to do and then proceeded to moan about their supervisor, the black lad said much to the amusement of the 2 white lads that this supervisor was racist his tone of voice was serious one of the white lads asked why and the black lad said it's the way he talks to me and (insert another black lads name) one of the white lads said that's how he talks to everyone and the second white lad encouraged him to accuse the supervisor of racism as it would "sort him out"

I'm not sure who the supervisor was he might've been racist and blatant at that but from the white lads saying that's how he talks to everyone my guess is he's not, this is a serious predicament, if this supervisor gets reported disciplinary action will be taken maybe suspension all because of the R word being freely banded about and companies don't want to be accused of harbouring a racist.

The definition I gave on the other thread was from the Oxford English Dictionary -

Racist - a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another. OED

I have no idea where the most racism is.

But how do you identify a racist, do they tell you that they believe their race is superior to anther race, or do you assume that that is their belief based on what they say or do?

How do we overcome the problem of someone being called a xenophobe, racist or Islamophobe when they challenge racism or deviant behavior?

But how do you identify a racist, do they tell you that they believe their race is superior to anther race, or do you assume that that is their belief based on what they say or do?

How do we overcome the problem of someone being called a xenophobe, racist or Islamophobe when they challenge racism or deviant behavior?

By their words and their deeds.

By their words and their deeds.

What would someone have to say or do to give you the assumption they believe their race to be superior to another?