Xmas Free Parking BUT after 2pm city centre

You could call it factual information or council spin, I tend to favour the latter. Sheffield city centre is a disgraceful mess.

Not really spin though is it - just shows it from the otherside.

I like seeing his posts they are pretty informative and well thought out and contribute a hell of a lot more than simple sort drivel posts.

Just look at the replies to your posts, you make a silly broad ranging statement, Planner1 writes a good informative concise response and you have nothing of value to reply.

Not really spin though is it - just shows it from the otherside.

I like seeing his posts they are pretty informative and well thought out and contribute a hell of a lot more than simple sort drivel posts.

Just look at the replies to your posts, you make a silly broad ranging statement, Planner1 writes a good informative concise response and you have nothing of value to reply.

He writes council spin to justify ridiculous parking costs in a city that needs all the help it can get.

The last time this "offer" of free parking was made available the signs were 8ft up a lamp post nowhere near the pay and display machine and most people were paying as they didn't see it, like I said a hollow gesture.

town shops need customers , not sure council idea is the right one as I can see most going to medowhall

Try reading your own posts before you post them you might be in for a nice surprise.

Planner1 i dont know how you have so much patience in posting all the factual information you do and replying to all the muppets.

Seconded - I think Planner1's posts are excellent and very informative. And no, I don't work for the council.

Guest sibon
He writes council spin to justify ridiculous parking costs in a city that needs all the help it can get.

The last time this "offer" of free parking was made available the signs were 8ft up a lamp post nowhere near the pay and display machine and most people were paying as they didn't see it, like I said a hollow gesture.

Why would someone who doesn't work for Sheffield Council write "council spin". You need to get a grip, Toppy.

In any case, it only costs a couple of quid to park in Sheffield at anytime. There are plenty who are ripping you off for much more than that. You should open your eyes wider.

Why would someone who doesn't work for Sheffield Council write "council spin". You need to get a grip, Toppy.

In any case, it only costs a couple of quid to park in Sheffield at anytime. There are plenty who are ripping you off for much more than that. You should open your eyes wider.

If I ran a poll to ask what people dislike about coming into the city centre, parking would be very high on the list. Charging until 8:30 is ridiculous and unecessary and if they are going to offer free parking than let it be clearly shown.

There was another instance recently where some parking bays had been suspended due to some road works, the works were complete and everything cleared away but a small sign was in place with a suspension date beyond the completion which led to many motorists being fined. They are not breaking any rules but are bending them as cynically as possible to rake money in.

Where does it cost a couple of quid, I paid £4 for 2hrs yesterday on a grotty back street.

If I ran a poll to ask what people dislike about coming into the city centre, parking would be very high on the list. Charging until 8:30 is ridiculous and unecessary.

Of course no-one likes paying to park, but it is the norm in any town or city and has been for many years.

Charging well into the evening is also the norm in cities, some charge till midnight. Private sector car parks normally charge 24/7.

Sheffield Council's parking is comparatively cheap for a major city. Sheffield's car parks have a maximum charge of £1 per hour, which is actually cheaper than Barnsley. Try finding an off street car park in the very centre of Leeds or Manchester for £1 per hour. Try finding a major city where you can park all day within the inner ring road for £2.

Of course no-one likes paying to park, but it is the norm in any town or city and has been for many years.

Charging well into the evening is also the norm in cities, some charge till midnight. Private sector car parks normally charge 24/7.

Sheffield Council's parking is comparatively cheap for a major city. Sheffield's car parks have a maximum charge of £1 per hour, which is actually cheaper than Barnsley. Try finding an off street car park in the very centre of Leeds or Manchester for £1 per hour. Try finding a major city where you can park all day within the inner ring road for £2.

I knew this was coming, Sheffield needs every bit of help it can get some of the cities you mention Leeds for example is fabulous in comparison and charge accordingly. I don't expect free parking but thought should be given to boost a city that's desperately in need. 6pm should be the cut off point and make weekends free in the run up to Christmas and advertised clearly, certain areas adjacent to shops could also have the free 15min grace period for drop in visits.

Instead the council will keep taking the money in whilst the city degenerates further and Meadowhall thrives.

I knew this was coming, Sheffield needs every bit of help it can get some of the cities you mention Leeds for example is fabulous in comparison and charge accordingly. I don't expect free parking but thought should be given to boost a city that's desperately in need. 6pm should be the cut off point and make weekends free in the run up to Christmas and advertised clearly, certain areas adjacent to shops could also have the free 15min grace period for drop in visits.

Instead the council will keep taking the money in whilst the city degenerates further and Meadowhall thrives.

I'd say that Sheffield's prices reflect it's relative attractiveness.

Free parking is not the answer to the city's lack of attractiveness as a retail destination. It's the retail offer which brings people in.

The Council's parking is packed at the weekend now, so a free offer is not going to bring in any more people. Private sector car parks aren't going to give away free parking. The Council's Sunday rate of £1 for the full day is not going to put anyone off coming. It's six times less than Leeds charge for the equivalent and Manchester charge £3 per hour as normal on Sundays. If the success of a shopping centre was purely based on the cost of parking, people across the region would flock to Sheffield on Sundays.

There are already some locations in the city centre where you can park for free on the length of visit you describe. There are bays by the Crucible and the new markets which cater for this and there is a loading bay at John Lewis for those clicking and collecting.

I'd say the city centre is different to the peripheral parking zone and that you do not get many people who want to pop into a shop for 15 minutes, so it's not necessary to have a general 15 mins free in the city centre. I don't know of any city centre where there is a general free 15 mins on council parking.

Knew what was coming? Some correct, factual information?

Your first paragraph is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum, and that saying something.

I didn't say the machines in Chesterfield were on street, they were in the council car park on Saltergate.

The Saltergate car park is a Pay On Foot car park (where you pay on return to the car park) - not Pay & Display. Pay On Foot machines can and do give change, but in a car park of several hundred spaces, only 2 or 3 pay machines are required. They cost somewhere around £14,000 each if I recall correctly from my time working in the industry. Clearly at that cost even if they were available, it would not be costs effective to use in Pay & Display car parks or on-street parking spaces.