Central library closure

I doubt this plan by questionable Chinese investors(known for their corruption) and the Blairite Sheffield council will get off the ground.

Time the council looked at the long term, and develop the central library.

The one at Leeds is like a palace

I would only support this if there was a significant plan to rehouse the library in a brand new facility. I have to say I think the council dropped the ball with presenting this deal, they should be presenting this as a deal to modernise Sheffield's libraries and improve the service. Instead we have an argument about what will happen to the old not fit for purpose building after the library vacates, while it is important what happens to these buildings in the long term we're having the argument backwards.

As far as I can see the library building is perfectly fit for purope. It is only in a state because those who are in charge have failed to maintain it.

---------- Post added 19-12-2016 at 16:06 ----------

I doubt this plan by questionable Chinese investors(known for their corruption) and the Blairite Sheffield council will get off the ground.

Time the council looked at the long term, and develop the central library.

The one at Leeds is like a palace

Well said.

As far as I can see the library building is perfectly fit for purope. It is only in a state because those who are in charge have failed to maintain it.

---------- Post added 19-12-2016 at 16:06 ----------

Well said.

They have no funding to maintain it.

Is the wheelchair access fit for purpose? Is the Childrens Library access fit for purpose? No.

There are structural problems which are a result of the design, rather than any maintenance issue.

Edited by Bargepole23

They have no funding to maintain it.

Is the wheelchair access fit for purpose? Is the Childrens Library access fit for purpose? No.

There are structural problems which are a result of the design, rather than any maintenance issue.

But they have funding enough to pay a Spanish owned company to lay waste to tens of thousands of trees?

But they have funding enough to pay a Spanish owned company to lay waste to tens of thousands of trees?

Exactly!!!!

Alternative facts alert. 6000 in 5 years all of which will be replace on a one to one basis.

Exactly!!!!

Exactly what? In what way are the two funding streams related?

One is part of a large government-backed PFI project, the other is the skint council trying to keep a knackered old building intact.

As a building, it's part of the city. As a modern, efficient to run, easily accessible library it's poor.

If you want the council to finance its refurb and ongoing upkeep, how much extra council tax are you willing to pay, or which other services are you willing to do without?

I would like to see the City Archives incorporated into the local studies library in the city library building.

The building presently housing the archives could then be sold.

Exactly what? In what way are the two funding streams related?

One is part of a large government-backed PFI project, the other is the skint council trying to keep a knackered old building intact.

As a building, it's part of the city. As a modern, efficient to run, easily accessible library it's poor.

If you want the council to finance its refurb and ongoing upkeep, how much extra council tax are you willing to pay, or which other services are you willing to do without?

Quite right much of the tree work is a cost cutting effort to reduce ongoing maintenance cost. I suppose they could cut down all of the trees and not replace then in addition they could change all the pavements into dirt paths, these two initatives would release additional funds to allow proper upkeep of the old library buidling.

Alternative facts alert. 6000 in 5 years all of which will be replace on a one to one basis.

Um..if you're going to claim people are using alternative facts I suggest you get yours right.

No councillor has admitted what the final felling figure will be. We've already lost over 5000 mature trees, at at the start of the contract a councillor was quoted at the Tree Forum saying that the final figure would be 50% (and other councillors have said 75%). That's 18,000 - 27,000 trees. Maybe they have reevaluated and brought the figure down, but there is no accepted final figure that I am aware of.

Please provide a source that felling will stop at 6,000 trees.

This thread is about the Central Library. Please post "felling of trees" material on the "felling of trees" thread only.