Sheffield council issues 1.6m in parking fines

Guest makapaka

It's just a daft argument to blame the council for you doing something wrong. The same rubbish gets trolled out once a year for speed cameras.

Before that one starts I'll give everyone a quick heads up, when you go past a speed camera make sure you go past it at the legal speed limit - if you don't you'll get fined. If everyone goes past the camera at the legal speed limit - the revenue from that camera will be nil - then everyone can be happy.

There are no parking restriction on our road at all.

Residents rarely park on the road, but it is the nearest unregulated road side parking to UoS and the hospitals.

Outcome is that parking is disorganised to the point that:

Traffic flow is restricted.

The road is sometimes blocked to large delivery vehicles.

Fewer cars can park.

Unnecessary damage to kerbs, verges and footways.

Antagonising the natives.

This is explained by:

1- the stupidity of the drivers in not realising that if they all parked on the same side of the road many more could park.

2- stupidity of the drivers in not realising that if they all parked on the road, rather than the verge/footway, many more could park.

4- the stupidity of the drivers in blindly following the stupid actions of others and therefore multiplying the problem.

So the drivers bring on the future restrictions onto themselves as they cannot manage to themselves.

Since I do not wish to pay for this stupidity, I expect the cost of the introduction and maintenance of these restrictions and their enforcement to be paid for by stupid people.

I am sure that everyone of these stupid driver considerer themselves a 'good driver'.

Nice post, my 3 parking tickets in 40 years driving in Sheffield is well worth the cost if it goes some way to alleviate problems such as these.

the council likes to cost the average bloke in the pocket , plus don't forget its there big xmas party soon:hihi::hihi:

I meant complain at being fined not the the ability to appeal.

I will re-iterate, you did complain about being fined simply by the fact that you issued an appeal rather than pay up.

PS you didn't answer my first point

Guest makapaka
I will re-iterate, you did complain about being fined simply by the fact that you issued an appeal rather than pay up.

PS you didn't answer my first point

I think your missing my point and maybe it's because of how I worded it to be fair.

The point I'm making is that if you park illegally you deserve to be fined.

Sometimes you might think that's wrong and and there is an appeal process to cater for that. In my experience in one instance the council agreed I was wrongly fined, in another instance they didn't and I accept that.

Therefore I wasn't wrongly charged in one instance, and I was rightly charged in another because I'd not parked correctly.

In the latter instance that was my own fault so I've not been taxed - had I parked correctly I wouldn't have been charged.

It's not hard to comprehend- its not a tax - no more than the speeding example I gave earlier.

I don't know what point I missed sorry.

---------- Post added 21-11-2016 at 22:26 ----------

the council likes to cost the average bloke in the pocket , plus don't forget its there big xmas party soon:hihi::hihi:

The average bloke doesn't have to be charged if they park correctly. There's a lot about the council I don't agree with - but let's not pretend they're after us for something we are in complete control of.

Utter rubbish.

Had anyone been taken to court over parking at Meadowhall my daughter has had a number of tickets some people say ignore them as it is private land but she has had letters that say pay up or face going to court does anyone know for sure? It has been for parking in the normal car parks but she works there but she has also had tickets on her day off surely you are a customer on your day off?

These are issued by a private parking company and are unenforceble by law but they can issue a CCJ for none payment, don't ignore but read up on the facts and start an appeal process as the vehicle keeper NOT the driver.

a thread about parking and SCC and Penistone hasnt chipped in I hope he's alright

been driving now for 50odd years. and iv"e covered some ground..never had a parking ticket..no sympathy for them that has.

I got one in Wakefield one winter..drove onto surface car park,it was covered in snow..parked in a space between two other cars ..returned about 3 hours later after my meeting,the snow had melted and I saw I was parked about 6" over a white line..the other cars had gone..I got a ticket for not parking wholly within a space..what would you have done differently?

---------- Post added 21-11-2016 at 12:20 ----------

[/color]

There robbing gets. If you pay a day late it goes up to £70. If you dont pay that it goes up to £105 after 14 days.

They used to give leeway - robdogs.

Sorry that is completely incorrect. You have 14 days to pay at the reduced rate of 50% (£35). It only goes up to £105 after at least 60 days and frequently longer than that, depending upon how promptly the formal Notice To Owner has been issued. That in itself is never issued less than 28 days after the Penalty Charge Notice has been issued. In a nutshell, there is ample opportunity to pay the discounted rate and / or appeal.