Sheffield council issues 1.6m in parking fines

Sheffield council has issued parking tickets totalling 1.6 m from sept 15 to sept 16 .is this being excessive or is it a case of drivers not being bothered about parking rules etc or is signage too difficult to understand

A combination of all three I reckon. The "cutting in" thread shows that plenty of people can't tell the time and / or understand how a bus lane with variable hours works.

Sheffield council has issued parking tickets totalling 1.6 m from sept 15 to sept 16 .is this being excessive or is it a case of drivers not being bothered about parking rules etc or is signage too difficult to understand

Part of the budget (at least a third if I remember correctly) of controlled parking zones comes from parking fines; if everyone parked properly in these zones then they wouldn't get the required funding. With that in mind, it's up to you to determine if you think the rules are fair and the signage is clear enough to understand..

been driving now for 50odd years. and iv"e covered some ground..never had a parking ticket..no sympathy for them that has.

Parking is rubbish. SCC are skint, they go after motorists. Its against the law to punish motorists to fill public coffers but they do.

---------- Post added 21-11-2016 at 12:20 ----------

been driving now for 50odd years. and iv"e covered some ground..never had a parking ticket..no sympathy for them that has.

There robbing gets. If you pay a day late it goes up to £70. If you dont pay that it goes up to £105 after 14 days.

They used to give leeway - robdogs.

Not been driving anywhere near as long as you but never had a ticket from scc while I've been driving .had a few from London borough councils though but company paid them as they were issued while doing their work .

Wonder if problem in Sheffield is too many people just chance it !

Guest makapaka

No one should have an issue with this at all.

Just park in the right place. Then you don't get fined.

If you feel you have been unfairly fined, then appeal, and if you're right you also won't get fined.

Let me get this straight - Sheffield City Council have saved council tax payers £1.6m and people are complaining?

terrible comment. there only doing their job. to call them scum, just shows what your like.

Don't feed the troll. He's active on a few threads.

Don't feed the troll. He's active on a few threads.

Yeah … he dissed my 2CV in the 'favourite cars' thread. :cry:

Let me get this straight - Sheffield City Council have saved council tax payers £1.6m and people are complaining?

Maybe people would complain less about the council targeting motorists if the council chased all the money they are owed in council tax.

No one should have an issue with this at all.

Just park in the right place. Then you don't get fined.

Don't bet on it.

If you feel you have been unfairly fined, then appeal, and if you're right you also won't get fined.

With Sheffield Parking Services ( the issuer) being the the arbiter of the informal appeal?

With a formal appeal the opportunity to pay the reduced amount has gone so you have to pay the full amount should you lose.The authority can then ignore the Adjudicators decision anyway.