Disregard of Nursery St. temporary road alterations

During the flood defence enhancement works Nursery Street has been made one way only (inbound) between the Harlequin pub and Lady's Bridge. It's clearly signposted at the Lady's Bridge End that the road is closed and barriers are in place. Despite this I notice cars and vans proceeding outbound along the full length of the one-way section several times a day.

Even more frequently (and even more inexplicably) vehicles are regularly turning left off the outbound diversionary route (Stanley Street) onto Johnson St then (despite the 'Left Only' arrow at the junction by the church) then turning right to drive outbound on the inbound only section of Nursery Street. This baffles me completely as surely it's more direct (and legal) to continue along Stanley Street onto Spitalfields to reach the remaining short two way section of Nursery Street by the Harlequin pub.

Hopefully some blind (or so it would seem) driver's car or van will at some stage be irreparably damaged by contact with an inbound bus or lorry.

Edited by Martin C

I live and park on Nursery street and have had to play dodge the idiot quite a few times. It scares me how oblivious people are along there as it's very clearly signposted

Not noticed the wrong way driver as i don't drive on that stretch but working on the other side of river, it seems like very little work actually seems to be getting done.

Most of the time there's not a workman to be seen.

Added to this, at peak time the diversion causes traffic chaos with the buses trying to get through tight intersections.

The large 'lego' concrete blocks in Nursery Street presumably waiting positioning as part of the flood defence works have now been covered over so presumably there's going to be a hiatus.

Meanwhile arrogant/blind/stupid drivers continue to drive the wrong way along the inbound lane of Nursery St and also (inexplicably) turn left from Stanley St into Johnson St then right (ignoring the 'left only' sign into Nursery St - when it's far more direct to continue along Stanley St into Spitalfields.

from my observations they will usually sit at the junction, stare at the no right turn sign for a good 30 seconds before going for it anyway, so it's entirely arrogance.

from my observations they will usually sit at the junction, stare at the no right turn sign for a good 30 seconds before going for it anyway, so it's entirely arrogance.

Glad that someone else has noticed!