High Street Lane

Thanks, but those pictures were from the 1930s...
The first photo is clearly dated 1984.

The first photo is clearly dated 1984.

Look again, It say's the photo was "collected for the 50th anniversary exhibition of the Graves Art Gallery in 1984"

Hey, I'm confused enough, already! :)

Thanks, but those pictures were from the 1930s.

They re-developed that area around, or shortly before, 1949. There were some modern flats around the area that enclosed a new version of the playground. It was new when us kids across town got wind of it. A 1950 map of Duke St. would show it.

Then they re-developed the area yet again to what we see today.

(This is when I start to feel very, very, ancient)

Yes there was a re-development , perhaps 'Crown' something ?) below the Embassy Court flats on Duke Street, both no longer there.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yes there was a re-development , perhaps 'Crown' something ?) below the Embassy Court flats on Duke Street, both no longer there.

Thanks!

Funny how these things stick in your mind. Now I'm looking for a 1950 Duke Street ordnance map! (hint, hint!)

The playground actually opened in 1932; here's an article from the Sheffield Independent dated 21 March 1932. It even gives the area of the playground - remember the Good Old Days of square yards?! :P

....Now I'm looking for a 1950 Duke Street ordnance map! (hint, hint!)
Here is a 1950s map. Edited by hillsbro

The playground actually opened in 1932; here's an article from the Sheffield Independent dated 21 March 1932. It even gives the area of the playground - remember the Good Old Days of square yards?! :P Here is a 1950s map.

My hero!

Have a Stewensers on me!

..Hey, I'm confused enough, already! :)
Me too; I also thought the photo dated from the 50th anniversary in 1984 - the kids don't seem to be wearing 1930s clothes, or are they? :confused:
My hero!..
I knew I had that old map somewhere, lurking in the depths of my hard drive and I eventually found it! I was surprised that the playground isn't marked on any of the printed maps I have, even large-scale ones of the right period.

Me too; I also thought the photo dated from the 50th anniversary in 1984 - the kids don't seem to be wearing 1930s clothes, or are they? :confused:I knew I had that old map somewhere, lurking in the depths of my hard drive and I eventually found it! I was surprised that the playground isn't marked on any of the printed maps I have, even large-scale ones of the right period.

No, you have it on the great map you just posted.

There it is in all its glory! "Playground" on Bard Street, surrounded on three side by the "new" flats, exactly as I remember!

We always referred to them as the Duke Street Flats, because they were the only new buildings in the area and everybody in town (in my generation) knew them.

Thanks again!

No, you have it on the great map you just posted...
But I only have it as a JPEG - I meant printed maps of Sheffield (of which I have quite a collection!) This 1890s map shows that there were buildings on the site later occupied by the playground, and this 1926 photo from picturesheffield.com shows the sort of housing there: "condemned property" that was evidently demolished in the 1920s. Edited by hillsbro

But I only have it as a JPEG - I meant printed maps of Sheffield (of which I have quite a collection!) This 1890s map shows that there were buildings on the site later occupied by the playground, and this 1926 photo from picturesheffield.com shows the sort of housing there: "condemned property" that was evidently demolished in the 1920s.

OK, so when's your book coming out? :)

OK, so when's your book coming out? :)
Soon - with the title Confessions of a Lifelong Eccentric. :)