Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

As a motorcyclist I often encounter other motorists who appear enraged at the fact that I have passed them, or want to pass them. They, as you say, speed up, close gaps between the car in front or tailgate after the manoeuvre. Why? I have only taken a few feet of their road space and more often than not I have moved on within a short distance/time.

There are also those who blatantly block a motorcyclist’s way when legitimately filtering between lanes on congested roads. Jealousy?

As a motorcyclist myself I know exactly what you mean,i have now purchased a helmet cam...although not yet tried...if they start tailgating I usually touch the brake lever to operate the brake light,fortunately I also come across lots of motorists who pull over slightly to allow me to pass.i always wave a thankyou to them....if a car wishes to pass thinking they are a racing driver I just wave them on....and usually pass them at the next line of vehicles or in heavy traffic....ride safe...:)

How exactly did you "block" a car behind you on a regular two lane road? Just by existing?
It's really easy. You can move into the other lane as they do and physically block them, or simply discourage them by speeding up and perhaps pulling out a bit. I found that a lot of people did that to me when I had a standard family type and somewhat underpowered car, presumably because they couldn't bear the shame of being passed by such a vehicle. Now I'm in a faster car they don't even try.

Quite a few older motorists, the Sunday morning type, tend to do this. They drive at 25mph everywhere until you try to overtake and then they rev the nuts off theirs to force you to pull in behind them and then they slow down to 25mph again! Mental!

So why would you do that? Apart from driving at a reasonable speed, everything you suggest is extremely dangerous. Particularly the "move into the other lane", since you said you were heading towards a blind corner.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

I blocked someone from overtaking me on a blind bend near Castleton last week. Just as well because he'd not seen the car that was coming.

So how did you actually block this one? It wasn't by crashing head on into the oncoming car was it?

So why would you do that? Apart from driving at a reasonable speed, everything you suggest is extremely dangerous. Particularly the "move into the other lane", since you said you were heading towards a blind corner.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

So how did you actually block this one? It wasn't by crashing head on into the oncoming car was it?

Don't be silly. As I said, by speeding up and pulling out a bit towards the centre of the road, just enough to discourage the overtake. It greatly depends on the surroundings. The timing is critical and has to work before the driver commits to the manoeuvre. It's unlikely to work if the other car has twice your power and the driver his Hell-bent.

It was that specific example I was curious about.

So you sped up (to the speed limit? Above it?) and adopted a primary road position or started skimming the white line?

Perhaps they were never intending to overtake into the blind bend and you misread them?

Don't be silly. As I said, by speeding up and pulling out a bit towards the centre of the road, just enough to discourage the overtake. .

Its not so long ago an idiot like this did the same to a motorcyclist and nearly killed him (in Sheffield),there was a long running thread on this forum about it ,after seeing what he'd done the motorist then sped off leaving him there badly injured in the road,was he caught..who know's..:loopy:

So you are driving along in a 30mph limit and are travelling at a couple of mph over the speed limit. In 50 metres the speed limit finishes and you hit a stretch of unrestricted road.

A guy in a Nova with a big axhaust pulls out to overtake but because he has only about 60bhp by the time you exit the controlled zone he is only just getting alongside your rear wheel.

But you are driving a Mercedes with 250 bhp and don't want to end up stuck behind this pile of junk all the way to Bakewell. So do you wait until the Nova has pulled infront and then blast back past him, or do you just hit the gas the moment you leave the 30 limit and leave him stuck out in the road wondering where you've gone?

So you are driving along in a 30mph limit and are travelling at a couple of mph over the speed limit. In 50 metres the speed limit finishes and you hit a stretch of unrestricted road.

A guy in a Nova with a big axhaust pulls out to overtake but because he has only about 60bhp by the time you exit the controlled zone he is only just getting alongside your rear wheel.

But you are driving a Mercedes with 250 bhp and don't want to end up stuck behind this pile of junk all the way to Bakewell. So do you wait until the Nova has pulled infront and then blast back past him, or do you just hit the gas the moment you leave the 30 limit and leave him stuck out in the road wondering where you've gone?

Legals aside, common sense and a modicum of driving experience says "better to have that in front, free to wrap himself around a tree and to clear the road by getting all the attention from any waiting plod, than at the back as a rear-ending risk"

But by all means, feel free to have a willy-waving contest instead if you wish. You never know, you might be lucky and get a free road rage punch up for bonus :thumbsup:

Smiffy's back then...

If he's only alongside your rear wheel when you reach the national speed limit road (I presume that's what you mean by 'unrestricted') then feel free to speed up and leave him behind. That's not the same as blocking an overtake, more like making it redundant.

If the Nova was driving at the speed limit (or at least the optimum, wherever safe & possible) all the way to Bakewell, would you have an issue with being behind it?

If you come across a Nova on the road it is likely to belong to an enthusiast and been well looked after. They're also popular with people who like to remap/modify their cars. So the little Nova may have similar BHP to your Mercedes and have a lot less weight to pull. Appearances can be deceptive.

I don't think I've seen a Nova on the road for several years now.

Certainly the days of young lads blasting around in a Nova with a huge exhaust on the back was well over a decade ago.