Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

Do you believe that you saying so is evidence? It's not evidence at all, never mind overwhelming. It's not even common sense.

No, the evidence is contained in the links, and the understandable fact that queue jumpers are a minority, whilst safe drivers that get into the correct lane in good time are in the majority. Your opinion is a minority opinion that isn't supported by any evidence, its just you pushing your opinion with no supporting evidence to back it up. Its likely that you know you are wrong and that you just enjoy winding people up.

The same number can't move through at the same rate because you just pushed in and forced the queue to slow down to compensate for your inconsiderate and dangerous driving.

Merging in turn is not inherently unsafe, and I have never found that I slow the traffic more by merging into it.

You keep talking about queue jumping, but making use of the other lane and merging at the point where the road narrows is not the same thing.

If everyone followed your logic, no one would ever use the outside lane. It might as well not exist.

Merging in turn is not inherently unsafe, and I have never found that I slow the traffic more by merging into it.

You keep talking about queue jumping, but making use of the other lane and merging at the point where the road narrows is not the same thing.

If everyone followed your logic, no one would ever use the outside lane. It might as well not exist.

merging is different, if every one is moving at say 10 mph on a single lane, put two lanes merging, it is impossible to merge, so someone brakes to allow the merge, the guy behind does the same and a wave effect starts till there is standing traffic So in reality the traffic gets worst. happens on motorways all the time you get standing traffic, because some dick has braked hard on the guy in front 2 miles away the wave goes back till you are in a standing queue

No, the evidence is contained in the links, and the understandable fact that queue jumpers are a minority, whilst safe drivers that get into the correct lane in good time are in the majority. Your opinion is a minority opinion that isn't supported by any evidence, its just you pushing your opinion with no supporting evidence to back it up. Its likely that you know you are wrong and that you just enjoy winding people up.

You didn't provide any evidence, sorry.

It's amusing to watch the minority of 1 (that's you) telling everyone else that they're in a minority though. :)

If there are two lanes of slow moving traffic driving in sync with each other and taking it in turns to merge then I agree with you, but the real world is more chaotic and random, people think differently and respond differently which makes it safer and easier to merge in good time rather than leaving it until the last moment. You must have seen it, you are driving down the closed lane at a speed that is about the same speed as the open lane, you see an opportunity to merge 100m from the cones so you take it only to find several cars accelerate and push in. If it was possible for two lanes of traffic work in perfect sync with each other and merge in turn we would see it on a daily basis.

An animated zip merge.

Looks easy doesn't it, but then there are no humans involved in the process when it's computer generated.

---------- Post added 21-11-2016 at 07:36 ----------

You didn't provide any evidence, sorry.

It's amusing to watch the minority of 1 (that's you) telling everyone else that they're in a minority though. :)

The odd the is that queue jumpers are over represented on SF, in realty you are an inconsiderate minority.

Stupid, childish and potentially dangerous. But id expect that from the OP.

Stupid, childish and potentially dangerous. But id expect that from the OP.

Sorry? :suspect:

---------- Post added 21-11-2016 at 10:30 ----------

@Petsmiffy, you seem to be fixated on people 'pushing in'. How do you define this? There is a correct and safe way to change lanes and there is a more aggressive and inconsiderate way.

Dual lanes that merge in turn at the end, do you regard that as 'pushing in' when some people decide to form a queue in one lane and others use the emptier lane then merge safely and correctly at the end?

Edited by RootsBooster

So after the last four pages of this thread, it seems that the argument by the minority for being against merging in turn is because the people who should be letting people merge are not providing enough room to do so. Which has brought us full circle.

So after the last four pages of this thread, it seems that the argument by the minority for being against merging in turn is because the people who should be letting people merge are not providing enough room to do so. Which has brought us full circle.

When the required gap is left you will find that several drivers push into it rather than the one driver you left the gap for, this causes the same wave of braking cars which brings that lane to an alt with all the gaps disappearing.

I've been in the situation approaching glossop on the M57 where I've sat almost unmoving in the left hand lane because everyone goes passed and pulls in. Its a pain. I've taken to always going right at the roundabout, stopping for a wee in maccy d's (thats all i ever use em for) and then going right round the roundabout through glossop. If there's enough traffic its actually quicker than sitting and waiting in the left lane. I don't consider it pushing in as i've legitmately turned right off the roundabout !

When the required gap is left you will find that several drivers push into it rather than the one driver you left the gap for, this causes the same wave of braking cars which brings that lane to an alt with all the gaps disappearing.

So you've made up another hypothetical 'might happen' scenario to justify why you don't let people merge into your lane.

I'd rather everyone aspired to drive properly than deliberately drive badly because everyone else apparently does, which is what you seem to be telling us you do.

So you've made up another hypothetical 'might happen' scenario to justify why you don't let people merge into your lane.

I'd rather everyone aspired to drive properly than deliberately drive badly because everyone else apparently does, which is what you seem to be telling us you do.

Its not an hypothetical might happen, its does happen, I leave the safe gap and I accept that several inconsiderate drivers are likely to pull in front of me, I don't attempt to stop them because I value my car and my life more than a few second of my time. But I do understand why some drivers don't leave the safe gap that everyone should leave, it would be a nice world if every driver was a considerate and safe driver but the realty is they aren't, this is why you won't see 100's of cars zip merging in perfect sync.