Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

This example refers to two lanes approaching traffic lights.

The right-hand lane has road markings indicating that it is only for vehicles turning right at the lights.

The police are prosecuting those that ignore those road markings and keep driving up to the lights before trying to get back in the left-hand lane to go straight on.

However, despite their being a long tailback of cars in the left-hand lane, it is still permissible to overtake in the right-hand lane until the first road markings/signs appear that limit that lane to right-turners only.

Fair enough.

The M5 example refers to dangerous stopping on the carriageway.

Yes I was aware the circumstances for each link aren't the same, but they still all involve jumping the queue and then pushing in.

And still an offence if the traffic you push in-front of as to slow down.

Edited by Petminder

It's too risky in stopping or blocking people from overtaking. I just slow down and let them pass. Safest thing you can do.

Lane Change Etiquette - Are you causing problems?

The distance between two cars that drivers give themselves and the vehicle in front is a'safety gap'. They have estimated this distance to be a safe gap to stop should the vehicle in front come to an unexpected stop. In fact I would say that most drivers do not allow enough of a safety gap. The correct gap would be one determined by the 2 second rule (on faster roads) or approximately 2 to 4 car lengths (at the lower speeds) in dry weather.

2) It's discourteous, antagonistic and dangerous!

If by your actions you cause another driver to change speed or direction you are the obstruction and this would be viewed unfavourably by insurance companies when deciding fault or non fault. Problems occur when you enter this safety gap by:

Pushing in

Moving over without a thought for others

Not looking to see if it is safe to move over

Not signalling to move

Just moving over because you signaled

Not planned so you misjudge a gap and the speed of vehicles in the lane you are moving into

All of these habits are at best, poor driving, discourteous, inconsiderate and unfriendly. At worst can be dangerous, a road rage trigger in some drivers that leads to horns, arguments and cars fighting for the same space.

http://www.complete-driver.co.uk/blog/lane-change-etiquette-are-you-causing-problems

Yes the same number of cars will still move past the obstruction but it will take a little longer when you push, you get through faster than those that take their turn and they are delayed by your selfishness and impatients. Patient drivers merge in good time and impatient aggressive drivers take advantage bu pushing at the last minute, do you avoid merging at the same time as everyone else because you fear someone might push in front of you or do you just think you are more important than everyone else?

Nope. If the same number move past at the same rate in the same time, then nothing is different no matter how the queue behaves beforehand.

Nope. If the same number move past at the same rate in the same time, then nothing is different no matter how the queue behaves beforehand.

The same number can't move through at the same rate because you just pushed in and forced the queue to slow down to compensate for your inconsiderate and dangerous driving.

No its merging late that exacerbates the problem, merging early keeps the traffic flowing better as long as the minority of inconsiderate drivers don't queue jump. You should get into the open lane in good time and not leave it until you have no choice, if you leave it late you will either have to stop, force your way over or rely another driver giving you priority.

Or everyone should correctly merge in turn and use whichever lane has less of a queue when they approach the queue.

Or everyone should correctly merge in turn and use whichever lane has less of a queue when they approach the queue.

The majority did correctly merge in good time but then a minority of inconsiderate drivers like you push in and cause the whole queue to slow down.

Hopefully one day the police will witness your dangerous driving and issue you you with a fine.

Edited by Petminder

Can you quote me saying how I drive or treat queues? There is an example, but you quite clearly haven't read it.

Can you quote me saying how I drive or treat queues? There is an example, but you quite clearly haven't read it.

You have spent the several pages defending the actions of queue jumpers, so its reasonable to assume you are a queue jumper.

Are saying that no other driver slows or changes direction as a consequence of you passing them and that when you overtake, the gap you enter is much larger than the safety gap that is required for safe driving.

No, I've spent several pages saying that you are wrong about what the effect of merging at the end of the queue is.

You really should actually look at what people write.

No, I've spent several pages saying that you are wrong about what the effect of merging at the end of the queue is.

You really should actually look at what people write.

The odd thing is that you have done it despite the overwhelming evidence which shows you to be wrong.

Do you believe that you saying so is evidence? It's not evidence at all, never mind overwhelming. It's not even common sense.