Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

Putting aside our opinion on the reason for the tree removal, who is in charge of PR nowadays. SCC, Amey and the Police could surely see how behaving this way would only inflame the situation even more. Given how SYP aren't exactly the most trustworthy of poilce forces, who there decided that the request by the council was worth pursuing..surely anyone with an ounce of common sense would recommend to SCC that this course of action would create issues and they should reconsider.

Also, an interesting point raised on the radio this morning, with various districts blighted by anti-social behaviour, a lack of police action and presence in these areas, yet SCC come knocking and they can rustle up 20 odd officers and riot vans to assist a private company to chop some trees down, I can only assume at the taxpayers expense. Not sure about where you live but if I fired up a chainsaw at 5 in the morning I'd be expecting to get my collar felt or at least a stern talking to from the police, yet Amey are more than welcome to do so.

It's the shear stupidity of it all that amazes me and the blatant disregard for peoples welfare and decency

Based upon what law could they tow away a car safely and legally parked ?

Because the cars are parked on the public highway not private property I think you will find that out of necessity they can be legally moved by the authorities. There were some obscure small notices posted around the area warning about the work.

Edited by Zaphod

This discussion can only be a good thing for all of us, and shows just how well we are doing in the world. Our city and country must be in a pretty impressive state overall for a few trees being cut down to create this much attention and debate.

I for one feel lucky, and am proud to be able to say to all those other countries with civil wars, bitter battles, those that are communist controlled with limited rights, or have Trump in charge... that we have little to worry about here. So instead we can argue, complain and make big 'hoo haas' about tress being cut down. :nod:

We have plenty to worry about, but worrying about the big things like leaving europe doesn't stop you worrying about your local council removing trees for no good reason does it?

I still cant get over the fact that the trees outside the British Museum restrict the pavement to 147cm at some points yet they are allowed to thrive when 7million people visit the BM each year while Rustlings Rd supposedly is not suitable for pedestrians.....Its mad and its simply for profit for AMEY at our expense

Suitable meme for sharing below

https://imagebin.ca/v/32IIYRou8tQc

Putting aside our opinion on the reason for the tree removal, who is in charge of PR nowadays. SCC, Amey and the Police could surely see how behaving this way would only inflame the situation even more. Given how SYP aren't exactly the most trustworthy of poilce forces, who there decided that the request by the council was worth pursuing..surely anyone with an ounce of common sense would recommend to SCC that this course of action would create issues and they should reconsider.

Also, an interesting point raised on the radio this morning, with various districts blighted by anti-social behaviour, a lack of police action and presence in these areas, yet SCC come knocking and they can rustle up 20 odd officers and riot vans to assist a private company to chop some trees down, I can only assume at the taxpayers expense. Not sure about where you live but if I fired up a chainsaw at 5 in the morning I'd be expecting to get my collar felt or at least a stern talking to from the police, yet Amey are more than welcome to do so.

It's the shear stupidity of it all that amazes me and the blatant disregard for peoples welfare and decency

Not to mention the obvious weeks of conspiring between SCC, Amey and the cops to plan all this without anyone knowing.

Who from the Council gets up at 4:25 in the morning to release a report which could save the trees at the same time the Amey monkeys have started sawing them down, without being in cahoots of plans to deceive?

Is it any wonder that all of this lot have such a bad name?

This discussion can only be a good thing for all of us, and shows just how well we are doing in the world. Our city and country must be in a pretty impressive state overall for a few trees being cut down to create this much attention and debate.

I for one feel lucky, and am proud to be able to say to all those other countries with civil wars, bitter battles, those that are communist controlled with limited rights, or have Trump in charge... that we have little to worry about here. So instead we can argue, complain and make big 'hoo haas' about tress being cut down. :nod:

The degradation of our environment is absolutely the result of the globalisaing forces that also promote war, inequality and exploitation of the masses....its trees today but god knows what tomorrow......Never under estimate how important those trees are (were). Removing things people love and cherish is the most insidious of political actions.

The degradation of our environment is absolutely the result of the globalisaing forces that also promote war, inequality and exploitation of the masses....its trees today but god knows what tomorrow......Never under estimate how important those trees are (were). Removing things people love and cherish is the most insidious of political actions.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Oh man, and while you're at it lets hang those murderers on quad bikes. You know the ones, they drive slowly along kerbs spraying a lethal cocktail of drugs onto the poor weeds killing them all!!

It's weeds today, warlords tomorrow... :o

Nice post from Richard Hawley on Facebook.

"It's one thing to have a dispute about the trees on Rustlings road. We all have our opinions and a right to express them, but it turns into an entirely different thing to enforce corporate will in the middle of the night without warning along with police protection and muscle. Sheffield City Council-shame on you, you've disgraced our beautiful city in the most snide and sneaky manner. Utterly despicable behaviour. I really feel for the folks on Rustlings Road but I worry more for the city as a whole. The trees are one of the city's greatest assets but it appears our great leaders are blind to this simple fact."

Well said.

Does this mean that anything the council want to do in future that people are against is going to be done as sneakily to make sure it gets done?

Does this mean that anything the council want to do in future that people are against is going to be done as sneakily to make sure it gets done?

Should we have a situation where the people we elect to manage the city on our behalf are prevented from getting on with the job that they are employed to do?

Should we have a situation where the people we elect to manage the city on our behalf are prevented from getting on with the job that they are employed to do?

So you think that are the only options? Either do it sneakily, or they can't do it at all?