We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

A further ten trees have been felled at the underpass at the back of Debenhams this week, Under the guise of road improvements.

A further ten trees have been felled at the underpass at the back of Debenhams this week, Under the guise of road improvements.

Charter Sq is being redeveloped and the roundabout and subway will be removed and replaced with new road and public Sq.

It is the tip of the iceberg apparently. AMEY have previously said that 75% of our street trees are mature or over mature, and plan to remove them. That equates to 27,000 trees.

Any arboriculturalists will know the terms mature/or over mature are pretty useless. A 50 year old tree could be 'mature' but it could have a safe life expectancy of 250 years or more.

The SULE method should be used when assessing street trees (with stands for Safe Urban Life Expectancy).

SULE is also used when assessing the value of street trees. Trees with with a SULE of greater than 80 years retain 100% of their 'value' under the CAVAT method of valuing trees (Capital Asset Value for Amenity Trees).

This is a well respected and widely used method, and is backed by the Forestry Commission.

A CAVAT survey was done on the condemned trees on Rustling Road. It measured the public asset value of over £150,000 (I can't remember the exact figure).

You can read more about street tree valuation systems here.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCRN008.pdf/$FILE/FCRN008.pdf

Charter Sq is being redeveloped and the roundabout and subway will be removed and replaced with new road and public Sq.

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the new road? Not much of it. Surprise surprise.

Please come, especially if you are not sure about ins and outs of this situation. Come and inform yourselves!

Please also share this link far and wide on any other social media you may use. Thanks.https://www.facebook.com/events/1761916857466965/?ti=cl

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the new road? Not much of it. Surprise surprise.

I think the finished product will look better with creation of a public sq and better pedestrian access. I used to work by Charter Sq and the sooner it's revamped, the better.

Also, note that I'm a city centre resident and I drive and don't mind the changes to the carriageway.

Digress over, back on topic!

Edited by S1 1DJ

I think the finished product will look better with creation of a public saw and better pedestrian access. I used to work by Charter Sq and the sooner it's revamped, the better.

Also, note that I'm a city centre resident and I drive and don't mind the changes to the carriageway.

Digress over, back on topic!

Yep ok. Someone might start a thread on it, so will use that when someone does.

Back on topic, not many trees in the new bit here is there? :hihi:

-

And definitely back on topic, what are they doing with the wood from the trees? (not the small chipped bits) - If they made them into planks I could build my new shed out of it and keep it in Sheffield and useful :D

I have today received a letter from Bryan Lodge inviting me to contribute to the consultation regarding my street. (The letter is sent to the resident, but is specific to my address, and with a unique code). I presume this is the standard letter that everyone receives. It refers to the 50% etc as has been discussed above.

I can't complete the survey, yet, as the consultation period doesn't start until tomorrow. The odd thing is that the work on our road, pavements and streetlights was completed (along with the replacement of several trees) well over a year ago. :huh::huh:

I'm interested in seeing just what options I'll have to vote on at this stage.

And definitely back on topic, what are they doing with the wood from the trees?...

:suspect:

Hmmm...

...I wonder if they're using it to make the paper for all these silly 'consultation' letters! :huh:

I have today received a letter from Bryan Lodge inviting me to contribute to the consultation regarding my street. (The letter is sent to the resident, but is specific to my address, and with a unique code). I presume this is the standard letter that everyone receives. It refers to the 50% etc as has been discussed above.

I can't complete the survey, yet, as the consultation period doesn't start until tomorrow. The odd thing is that the work on our road, pavements and streetlights was completed (along with the replacement of several trees) well over a year ago. :huh::huh:

I'm interested in seeing just what options I'll have to vote on at this stage.

Yes the sounds like the standard letter - I think there will be a lot of revelations tomorrow when all the surveys open and people can see the scale of the proposed works. I am not sure how the Independent Tree Panel is going to cope if a lot of streets vote to have the plans scrutinised, but then I'm not sure that the council really give two figs about what the ITP suggest.

I have family that live on a street that received the letter last week, but for the life of me I can't work out why. They have 4 quite small street trees on the street (one is just a sapling) but they are all in specially built tree pits than stick out of the pavement, so don't impinge of the street at all. They are all seemingly also in good health (diseased and dying trees were all meant to have been removed last year anyway). I am very interested to hear what the plans are..

Yes the sounds like the standard letter - I think there will be a lot of revelations tomorrow when all the surveys open and people can see the scale of the proposed works. I am not sure how the Independent Tree Panel is going to cope if a lot of streets vote to have the plans scrutinised, but then I'm not sure that the council really give two figs about what the ITP suggest.

I have family that live on a street that received the letter last week, but for the life of me I can't work out why. They have 4 quite small street trees on the street (one is just a sapling) but they are all in specially built tree pits than stick out of the pavement, so don't impinge of the street at all. They are all seemingly also in good health (diseased and dying trees were all meant to have been removed last year anyway). I am very interested to hear what the plans are..

I've now been able to open the link and complete the survey.

It is odd. Streets Ahead work was completed on our street over a year ago. Some trees were replaced and some retained. They have now decided that they want to replace one of the trees that was originally retained. The tree has lifted some kerbs and pushed them into the road, and raise the whole of the kerb and pavement. It is a fairly narrow pavement, so raised roots do impact on the access, in my opinion. However, the reason given is "damage".

I would reckon it is as bad as some of the trees previously replaced, so I'm not surprised they are doing it. However, I am surprised that they have left it until now to do the work. Unless something has come to light that wasn't obvious when they originally did the work (eg damage to the foundation of a nearby house).

Unless there is a new reason, it looks to be an inefficient process.

We had a letter last month to say that the roads where I live would be re-surfaced in November. We had another letter this week to say it won't be done until the new year now for 'operational reasons'. Oddly, it was possible to chop down trees on nearby Rustlings Rd at 5 am last week :huh: Why is tree felling a top priority when we have potholed roads long overdue to be resurfaced:huh::huh: