Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

Just because it is peaceful doesn't automatically mean it is legal.

Of course it doesn't no. Why would you think that?

Of course it doesn't no. Why would you think that?

I don't. It is not me that has been hiding behind the "they were protesting peacefully" mantra.

Am i right in thinking there is a noise pollution law which forbids workers using loud machinery before a certain time in the morning ?

Am i right in thinking there is a noise pollution law which forbids workers using loud machinery before a certain time in the morning ?

Indeed there is.

Sheffield Council website says acceptable work hours for a weekday starts at 7.30am. It says where an earlier start might be necessary ..."we expect the contractor to use advance publicity to warn residents and outline their plans to minimise any disturbance" (they did not)

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/noise-pollution/industrial/construction.html

Im not big on protests , thats well known on here, and we all know SCC are incompetent and useless , that goes without saying .

But this isnt about protesting. Its about SYP , and their heavy handed bullying tactics towards old aged pensioners and justifying it by hiding behind some obscure , pathetic piece of legislation. They are despicable .

If the legislation's poor, then it is up to parliament to change it. But until they do, it applies.

Based upon what law could they tow away a car safely and legally parked ?

I was once told by a policeman that no one has a right to park on the highway regardless of parking restrictions or the lack of them. Apparently a parked vehicle is causing an obstruction.

Tomorrow morning will be an interesting one on Toby's program Sheffield Council will be giving their first proper interview regarding the felling of those trees in Rustlings Road so fireworks can almost be guaranteed with our Toby calling them to account.

Among the more idiotic of quotes (rustling road residents choking on their Quinoa). They are hardly the global elite. What kills me about this situation is that the Lib Dems jumped on this and turned the whole affair in to a divisive party politics issue.

The trees were savaged at Firth Park and severely damaged the aesthetics of the neighbourhood (see countless articles on this) but you end up with the labour councilors defending it to their constituents telling them they are not like the poncey lot over at Rustlings Road.......Fight among yourself Sheffield and drag the whole lot down, while AMey cleans up your tax for its profit through destroying your environment.

This should should never have been a party politics issue, It should have been a united Sheffield against globalising profit...People who make comments like this show only their own limits of understanding....So much of this situation sickens me to the core. I hope we vote all the Councillors out and get some independents who actually care about things rather than their party and are brave enough to do things.

Best comment:clap::clap:

If the legislation's poor, then it is up to parliament to change it. But until they do, it applies.

The legislation was designed to prevent pickets obstructing people going about their jobs, it is trade union legislation. To use it in a wider context is massively stretching both the meaning and interpretation of the law and I think it won't even reach court, and if it did it would be laughed out.

I don't for one minute think PC Plod knew about this legislation and applied it when he saw the protest happening...

"Hmmm, that protester is standing in front of a tree....hmmm I recall that training course a year ago about trade union legislation prohibiting pickets from denying workers the right to go about their business...ah ha! It applies here!"

No. Someone in the council has been scouring Tory legislation in a desperate attempt to get peaceful protesters arrested. If they can use this law in this scenario they could use it in a lot more. Contrary to the intent of the law. A massive hammer to crack a small nut and if it is allowed to be used in this way it has massive repercussions for any and all peaceful protests.

The legislation was designed to prevent pickets obstructing people going about their jobs, it is trade union legislation. To use it in a wider context is massively stretching both the meaning and interpretation of the law and I think it won't even reach court, and if it did it would be laughed out.

I don't for one minute think PC Plod knew about this legislation and applied it when he saw the protest happening...

"Hmmm, that protester is standing in front of a tree....hmmm I recall that training course a year ago about trade union legislation prohibiting pickets from denying workers the right to go about their business...ah ha! It applies here!"

No. Someone in the council has been scouring Tory legislation in a desperate attempt to get peaceful protesters arrested. If they can use this law in this scenario they could use it in a lot more. Contrary to the intent of the law. A massive hammer to crack a small nut and if it is allowed to be used in this way it has massive repercussions for any and all peaceful protests.

I think they used this excuse to detain someone a few weeks ago in the tree dispute and just like today no charges were pressed, probably because they know it would not stand up in court and the job had been done by getting people out of the way.

Whether it could apply in this case would depend on the wording of the legislation. If it is worded along the lines of "a group of trade union members", then it wouldn't apply. However, if it was more like "a person", then it might.

The law is the law. Bad legislation is just as real as good legislation. If it applies, it applies.

As I understand it, they were arrested, but weren't charged. I expect (but don't know) that they were removed from the scene to allow the workers to get on with their job, unhindered.

Quite a disgusting matter. Someone's head should roll for this deed. Chopping down perfectly healthy trees is lunacy.

Angel1.