Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

The link between street trees and mental health and general wellbeing has been established. The study referenced in the article is also by no means the only study.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/10/more-trees-on-your-street-means-fewer-health-problems-says-study

I don't doubt this on a macro level, but it's small solace when your own wellbeing has been adversley affected by over-large, over-bearing trees over several years. Still, chin up, only a few weeks until S.A.D. kicks in again.....

Except that is about green spaces and not replacing a tree on a suburban street.

I don't think people deny robins points - just question the validity of them in this instance.

Hands up if you didn't read to the end... Yes, you in the back, makapaka, we know you didn't.

Guest makapaka
Hands up if you didn't read to the end... Yes, you in the back, makapaka, we know you didn't.

yes I read it all.

I don't doubt this on a macro level, but it's small solace when your own wellbeing has been adversley affected by over-large, over-bearing trees over several years. Still, chin up, only a few weeks until S.A.D. kicks in again.....

The fact that the tree is preventing car access to your driveway may well be a legitimate reason for removal. The fact that the tree is blocking light or casting shade is not a reason to warrant removal, as stated on the Sheffield City Council webpage.

There should however be proper maintenance (which AMEY should be doing as it is part of their contract) to prune and raise the crown of trees in order that they are not overbearing.

yes I read it all.

My apologies, I put the wrong link entirely.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/21/access-nature-reduces-depression-obesity-european-report

This is what I meant to link.

The BBC article was several years old, the guardian article was in the news yesterday.

The fact that the tree is preventing car access to your driveway may well be a legitimate reason for removal. The fact that the tree is blocking light or casting shade is not a reason to warrant removal, as stated on the Sheffield City Council webpage.

There should however be proper maintenance (which AMEY should be doing as it is part of their contract) to prune and raise the crown of trees in order that they are not overbearing.

I'm aware lack of light isn't a factor that's taken into account, but I've got to say that it's the factor that has had the greatest effect on my personal wellbeing. My response was to balance the report on trees having a positive effect on wellbeing, which I agree with in the main, but I was pointing out that there can be a negative impact too. What we seem to be finding on our street is that the people who live out of reach of the trees like them, and the people who live in the shadow, nearer the root damage, can't wait to get rid.

You're absolutely right, proper maintenance is vital.

Edited by Olive

What we seem to be finding on our street is that the people who live out of reach of the trees like them, and the people who live in the shadow, nearer the root damage, can't wait to get rid.

You're absolutely right, proper maintenance is vital.

If they were treated to some maintenance then perhaps everyone would be happy?

Link to tree report posted previously has been changed by the author. New link below

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HaZnMLoqc4PkRdHLKGbyd5hS2l1dEefPG-hJGScVnZw/edit

I'm happy to answer any questions people may have about my report. (I'm not allowed to post links yet)

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

An update concerning the protestors arrested wrongfully under Trade Union laws by SYP posted on tjeir facebook page-

This is our press release. It will be going out to the media tomorrow, but you saw it here first.

The fourteen of us wrongly arrested under the 1992 Trade Union Act are about to move on legal action regarding our arrest, detention, and charges.

Here is our statement to the press;

*** Fourteen campaigners arrested under Trade Union legislation for peaceful protest against tree felling in Sheffield have announced that they are pursuing legal action against South Yorkshire Police regarding their arrest and detention. Charges against all fourteen were recently dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for lack of evidence and not being in the 'public interest'. The campaigners welcome the recent statement by Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings that the law will not be used against peaceful protesters in future. However those arrested believe that this statement raises as many questions as it answers in relation as to why the law was used against them on several occasions.Campaigners would have welcomed the opportunity to address the charges and defend their actions in court.

Between Nov 2nd 2016 and February 8th 2017 healthy trees across the city were cut down on the say so of South Yorkshire Police asserting the legality of using the 1992 Trade Union Act against peaceful protest. A legality that is now in question. Much damage has been done to the ecology of the city because of these actions. This is damage that can never be undone.

The group confirm that they will be challenging the legality of their arrests, charges,and time spent in detention and on bail. One of those arrested, Calvin Payne, said "We are not going to accept fourteen arrests for something that does not appear to have been a crime. We look forward to holding all those responsible to account."

Who was it arguing that the law was entirely appropriate, probably 20 or 30 pages back?

Who was it arguing that the law was entirely appropriate, probably 20 or 30 pages back?

It wouldn't be anyone with relevant legal qualifications. Rather than follow due legal process, police misused trade union legislation in a way that the forthcoming prosecutions for wrongful arrest are likely to show to be unlawful.

Inspector Stubbs, who made the arrests, said it was with the agreement of Sheffield City Council - so we have the council and police conspiring with a private firm to ride roughshod over the reasonable actions of the citizens who they are meant to serve.

I have read Ian Dalton's report (see above) and he is outraged at the total lack of professionalism and arboricultural knowledge on display from Amey and SCC.

Edited by Flexo