Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

No I am not. People should not be obstructing workmen trying to make a living. The trees coming down wasnt their decision.

This has nothing to do with the individual workmen, as much as SCC and Amey would seek it to be thus. The issue is one of pure common sense, or lack of it.

No I am not. People should not be obstructing workmen trying to make a living. The trees coming down wasnt their decision.

I voz only obeying ze orders.

I think that you are missing the point......healthy trees should not be chopped down, it is against all aspects of common sense.

We have a responsibility to society to protect our environment for each and everyone of us, we are all equally responsible.

It is very simple, stop the wanton destruction of our environment, heritage and landscape.

All parties in this should work to an agreed schedule of works, agreed with the protesters, tree experts and council and Amey.

Above all this is a waste of public resources, is making a pathetic laughing stock of the SCC, here in Sheffield, nationally and internationally.

SCC and Amey are currently responsible for the destruction of the one thing that Sheffield promotes itself by, a green city.

The solution is so very simple.....stop chopping the trees down, act like responsible adults and agree a way forward.

These trees were planted as part of our built environment. As needs and requirements change we modify that environment to suit. Individual trees are not sacrosanct. It is not destruction of the environment. It is part of modifications to that environment to better suit our needs going forward.

It is part of modifications to that environment to better suit our needs going forward.

That was not the opinion of the Independent Tree Panels commissioned by the council to provide impartial advice on certain streets - recommending, for instance, remedial action rather than removal for 6 out of the 8 trees on Rustlings Road.

Almost all protest impacts some people's ability to work - bus drivers couldn't drive down Pinstone Street for a short period during last week's anti-Trump protest. Local businesses often wind up closing for an afternoon when there's an EDL rally.

When the council won't listen not only to local residents but also to the impartial advice that they're paying for, protest will happen and protest will be obstructive - which does not mean it is not peaceful. And if you want to argue that the protesters do not represent local opinion, well the majority of respondents to the council's questionnaire have to object to the felling of trees on their street in order to cause the Independent Tree Panel to be created, so in streets like Rustlings Road, it definitely does represent local opinion - the number of ITPs should give some indication of the strength of local opinion.

These trees were planted as part of our built environment. As needs and requirements change we modify that environment to suit. Individual trees are not sacrosanct. It is not destruction of the environment. It is part of modifications to that environment to better suit our needs going forward.

Again, the point is being missed.

The argument is not that trees, pavements, roads etc shouldn't be managed, it is about how they are managed.....properly, responsibly, intelligently, considerately, with transparency.......

"It is part of modifications to that environment to better suit our needs going forward" - these words are entirely, meaningless

This blatantly not happening, pig-headednes is the order of the day

It is part of modifications to that environment to better suit our needs going forward.

You are a Councillor and I claim my five pounds (sorry, but who else in real life would talk like that)

You are a Councillor and I claim my five pounds (sorry, but who else in real life would talk like that)

So no actual reasoned response or argument. Why am I not surprised?

It's a deliberate policy on the part of Amey to minimise ongoing maintenance costs and to maximise profit. Nothing more, nothing less.

As residents, citizens and council tax payers we have no interest in making the financial environment for Amey improve, we do have an interest in keeping the street scene appropriate, the two things are in conflict and the council is supporting the profit making private company.

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 07:34 ----------

So no actual reasoned response or argument. Why am I not surprised?

Why ignore the previous 2 reasoned responses to focus on the one inane one?

It's a deliberate policy on the part of Amey to minimise ongoing maintenance costs and to maximise profit. Nothing more, nothing less.

As residents, citizens and council tax payers we have no interest in making the financial environment for Amey improve, we do have an interest in keeping the street scene appropriate, the two things are in conflict and the council is supporting the profit making private company.

Bang on, pure and simple.

Hopefully another day of tree felling today which will no doubt upset some middle class folk who live nowhere near the area affected....

Trees being felled yesterday on Hall Road. Where were any protesters and tree huggers :huh:

Are they actually interested in saving trees :huh: Or are they just interested in where they will get most publicity for their meaningless lives :huh::loopy:

Hopefully another day of tree felling today which will no doubt upset some middle class folk who live nowhere near the area affected....

Wait, I thought they were only interested in house prices? Now you're annoyed they are upset about felling in areas where they don't live. So which is it?