Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

We just had a "consultation" letter through the door, survey doesn't open until 25th Nov though.

Is that in the Bents Green area of S11? I know of properties there that received such letters last week.

Quite a few of us got letters and not just in S11 (Nether Edge) but we can't see the fate of our trees until this Friday when the site opens.

I live on a tree lined road - in fact it was a strong factor in my moving here 25 years ago and I don't want them taken down and the people I have spoken to on our road (most but not all) don't either.

On a little bit of digging Birmingham City Council did a similar deal with Amey (but before us) and they are currently involved in a court action. Amey have also had legal cases with other councils around their 'Streets Ahead' type contracts.

Not to mention their plans for the Don Valley.

I appreciate there will be trees that are causing harm and if identified as such by the ITP as trees that should be felled then they should be. But if as was the case in Rustlings Road 6 of the 8 were felt by the ITP not candidates for felling, then the question has to be asked why.

SCC had that ITP report in July yet release it at 4.25am and by 5am the police and Amey are on doorsteps? Something very sadly wrong there.

posted before I had finished post - will try again when not so tired. Sorry.

The old" troll" cop out eh. Co.e back when you can be civil(as I have been) and you may get a reply. :)

You might get a reply, he says, replying. :huh:

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 10:17 ----------

Is that in the Bents Green area of S11? I know of properties there that received such letters last week.

Wadlsey :hihi: as my misspelt location says :)

Did the wood cutters should TIMBER!! as the trees fell to the floor

I don't know much about tree cutting but I do know about the woodcutter in the little red riding hood story

Where were the tree protesters then?

A further ten trees have been felled at the underpass at the back of Debenhams this week, Under the guise of road improvements.

A further ten trees have been felled at the underpass at the back of Debenhams this week, Under the guise of road improvements.

Charter Sq is being redeveloped and the roundabout and subway will be removed and replaced with new road and public Sq.

It is the tip of the iceberg apparently. AMEY have previously said that 75% of our street trees are mature or over mature, and plan to remove them. That equates to 27,000 trees.

Any arboriculturalists will know the terms mature/or over mature are pretty useless. A 50 year old tree could be 'mature' but it could have a safe life expectancy of 250 years or more.

The SULE method should be used when assessing street trees (with stands for Safe Urban Life Expectancy).

SULE is also used when assessing the value of street trees. Trees with with a SULE of greater than 80 years retain 100% of their 'value' under the CAVAT method of valuing trees (Capital Asset Value for Amenity Trees).

This is a well respected and widely used method, and is backed by the Forestry Commission.

A CAVAT survey was done on the condemned trees on Rustling Road. It measured the public asset value of over £150,000 (I can't remember the exact figure).

You can read more about street tree valuation systems here.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCRN008.pdf/$FILE/FCRN008.pdf

Charter Sq is being redeveloped and the roundabout and subway will be removed and replaced with new road and public Sq.

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the new road? Not much of it. Surprise surprise.

Please come, especially if you are not sure about ins and outs of this situation. Come and inform yourselves!

Please also share this link far and wide on any other social media you may use. Thanks.https://www.facebook.com/events/1761916857466965/?ti=cl

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the new road? Not much of it. Surprise surprise.

I think the finished product will look better with creation of a public sq and better pedestrian access. I used to work by Charter Sq and the sooner it's revamped, the better.

Also, note that I'm a city centre resident and I drive and don't mind the changes to the carriageway.

Digress over, back on topic!

Edited by S1 1DJ

I think the finished product will look better with creation of a public saw and better pedestrian access. I used to work by Charter Sq and the sooner it's revamped, the better.

Also, note that I'm a city centre resident and I drive and don't mind the changes to the carriageway.

Digress over, back on topic!

Yep ok. Someone might start a thread on it, so will use that when someone does.

Back on topic, not many trees in the new bit here is there? :hihi:

-

And definitely back on topic, what are they doing with the wood from the trees? (not the small chipped bits) - If they made them into planks I could build my new shed out of it and keep it in Sheffield and useful :D