Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

I always thought that trees were protected and could only be taken down if they were deseaded or a danger to the public trees should be left alone some of these may be over 100 year old so keep your chain saws off them

I'm sure not about the right to ask for your street to have a survey if work has already been carried out, but you could contact them directly about a specific nuisance tree if you feel they have overlooked it.

The questionnaire that the residents were asked to fill in was only about the trees that AMEY had selected to remove, so there would be no difference if you did not get a questionnaire and the work went ahead as planned. There was no option for asking for more or different trees to be felled than the ones AMEY had already highlighted.

Many thanks again. :)

Like you asserted previously, the council/Amey/SYP would probably just ignore any report anyway, if it didn't suit them.

If only the large number of homeless people living on the streets in Sheffield right now could generate the same levels of anger that the removal of a small number of trees from one road that has a bloody park full of them bang opposite seems to have done...

Maybe if Amey started culling them at five in the morning...

If only the large number of homeless people living on the streets in Sheffield right now could generate the same levels of anger that the removal of a small number of trees from one road that has a bloody park full of them bang opposite seems to have done...

You should join the Labour party. They are experts at spouting nonsense logic.

You should join the Labour party. They are experts at spouting nonsense logic.

Spot on mate

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amey closed my road off on Monday to do stuff, presumably to relay the pavements as there's no parking for five days. 'Cars will be towed' and all those threats.

In the five days that residents have had to park elsewhere, (I kid you not) they've dug up a wobbly kerbstone and put an equally wobbly orange plastic fence round the resultant hole. That was Tuesday … since then, all they've done is to keep returning to the hole to prop the plastic fence due to the wind blowing it over a few times. This is not just one workman … a whole team sit in vans and trucks up the road and seem to take it in turns.

Admittedly, it's not just my road they're on with … two others are being 'worked' on too. All have had the same work done, being very little. Five days.

This is probably the reason Amey are quoting the £50,000 repair costs on Rustlings Road if the trees stayed. Wages alone for the kerbstone/plastic fence fiasco around me must run into several thousand pounds. A company that knows how to do stuff properly would do the work for a fraction of the price and probably ten times quicker.

Also, anyone know how much Amey charged to needlessly fell the trees on Rustlings Road?

Funny handshakes? :huh:

They coned off an area on Penistone road for several days this week (may still be coned off for all I know, haven't been done it today) just outside the pub opposite (ish) Wednesday ground. Took me three days to work ut why... tarmacking round a manhole by the look. Not that I ever saw a work man there. Job looked finished on Weds, obviously the cone removal experts were too concerned with the repair of your plastic fence to remove the cones.

I always thought that trees were protected and could only be taken down if they were deseaded or a danger to the public trees should be left alone some of these may be over 100 year old so keep your chain saws off them

Unfortunately that is not the case.

In most of Sheffield trees have absolutely no protection at all, and can be removed without informing anybody. The street trees are different in that they are on public property and therefore in the remit of the council.

In conservation areas trees have a level of blanket protection, in that the council needs to be informed about any work to a tree (apart from I believe urgent work that would leave the tree unsafe should it not be undertaken). The council then decide whether the tree is worthy of a Tree Preservation Order.

A Tree Preservation Order prevents people from pruning, lopping or felling a tree without prior permission, with a hefty fine if you do (I believe up to something like £20,000, although this is rarely enforced). Trees with TPOs can still be felled if they are diseased or become dangerous. They can also be felled if the council decides that they can, for example if they are in the way of a big development - the loss of a significant tree might be deemed a necessary loss when judged against the positives gained from the development.

In April 2012 there were changes to Tree Preservation Order regulations, although I do not believe this is widely known, as councils are still operating under the old rules.

The new regulation omits 'dying' as a reason why consent need not be given by the council to fell the tree. It is obviously very difficult to judge whether a tree is dying (technically everything is dying from birth) and so the difficulty in assessing whether a tree is dying (a 'dying' tree could still have a safe lifespan of over 100 years) meant this condition was removed.

You can read about the changes to TPO regulations in 2012 here.

http://www.bury.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9783&p=0

It's a travesty (that I can't get any of the wood for my log burner)

It looks loads better now, much brighter without those awful,overgrown and dangerous trees. Once the new little ones are planted it will be even better. Iam really happy that its finally happened, its just a shame that alot of the locals irrational and idiotic behavour forced the council to use shady tactics.

I live on Sharrow Lane and have just received a letter from Amey statng that our street is next... :(

I live on Sharrow Lane and have just received a letter from Amey statng that our street is next... :(

Residents of Western Road in Crookes got letters this morning telling them that Amey plan to cut down the WW1 memorial trees soon.