Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

as someone who has a relative with sight problems, id much rather these tree went than have to visit hospital again as they'd tripped on a pavement that had been bulging due to tree roots, maybe the pavements/trees should have been maintained in the past but they werent likewise maybe different trees could have been planted that didnt cause as much damage but they werent.

people need some perspective the loss of these trees wont cause global warming and wont make any difference apart from the nimbys who live in the leafy suburbs worrying about the loss of value on their properties, the fact that these people have a wooded park across the road and live in the greenest city in England seems to have passed them by.

Despicable behaviour by the council.

The council released the results of the Independent Tree Panel at 4.25am this morning, after the felling had started. The Panel recommended that alternative solutions could save 6 of the 8 trees that were planned to be felled. The council kept this a secret until it was too late - not one tree was given a reprieve.

What, may I ask, is the point of an Independent Tree Panel if the council are going to hide their recommendations and do whatever they like

They woke the residents up at 2am to move cars.

To be honest I think a fair few trees around Sheffield do need to come down - mainly due to neglect/poor maintenance issues.

However, I am disgusted to read this and rather ashamed of our council.

I am not surprised though, after the sham and pretence, divide and rule tactics, (and generally giving good people the runaround by the council and its contractors) that the people of our street were forced to endure. Their lamentable approach has divided our local community and continues to do so.

Edited by Lex Luthor

as someone who has a relative with sight problems, id much rather these tree went than have to visit hospital again as they'd tripped on a pavement that had been bulging due to tree roots, maybe the pavements/trees should have been maintained in the past but they werent likewise maybe different trees could have been planted that didnt cause as much damage but they werent.

people need some perspective the loss of these trees wont cause global warming and wont make any difference apart from the nimbys who live in the leafy suburbs worrying about the loss of value on their properties, the fact that these people have a wooded park across the road and live in the greenest city in England seems to have passed them by.

Those comments are completely baseless.

Firstly, the Independent Tree Panel said that 6 of the 8 trees they felled could have been saved whilst also improving the pavements to remove trip hazards. The reason why the council didn't do this is because they are locked into a terrible PFI contract with AMEY who have the right to sue the council if they force them to preserve more trees than the contract says.

Secondly, I don't believe anyone has claimed that the loss of these trees will 'cause global warming' and there is absolutely no evidence that the only people who are concerned are those living in leafy suburbs and are only bothered about house values. I don't live in a tree lined street and I think what the council is doing is despicable.

Posts containing off topic, unnecessary stereotyping have been removed.

If anymore are posted you may find your accounts suspended.

Among the more idiotic of quotes (rustling road residents choking on their Quinoa). They are hardly the global elite. What kills me about this situation is that the Lib Dems jumped on this and turned the whole affair in to a divisive party politics issue.

The trees were savaged at Firth Park and severely damaged the aesthetics of the neighbourhood (see countless articles on this) but you end up with the labour councilors defending it to their constituents telling them they are not like the poncey lot over at Rustlings Road.......Fight among yourself Sheffield and drag the whole lot down, while AMey cleans up your tax for its profit through destroying your environment.

This should should never have been a party politics issue, It should have been a united Sheffield against globalising profit...People who make comments like this show only their own limits of understanding....So much of this situation sickens me to the core. I hope we vote all the Councillors out and get some independents who actually care about things rather than their party and are brave enough to do things.

I think a 2am wake up knock for anything less than a murder would be told to do one.

What if I had a few pints the night before, and was unwilling or unable to drive my car?

Apparently it would have been towed away.

They passed a road closure order and didn't advertise it or post signs on the street. (From what I gathered).

Absolutely disgusting behaviour by our council, who are supposed to represent us. They say it is not their fault, it is Amey and they have no say .... but who signed the contract?

They passed a road closure order and didn't advertise it or post signs on the street. (From what I gathered).

Which would make the order unenforceable. I can see there being a lot of issues from this.

But hey the trees are down so....

Among the more idiotic of quotes (rustling road residents choking on their Quinoa). They are hardly the global elite. What kills me about this situation is that the Lib Dems jumped on this and turned the whole affair in to a divisive party politics issue.

The trees were savaged at Firth Park and severely damaged the aesthetics of the neighbourhood (see countless articles on this) but you end up with the labour councilors defending it to their constituents telling them they are not like the poncey lot over at Rustlings Road.......Fight among yourself Sheffield and drag the whole lot down, while AMey cleans up your tax for its profit through destroying your environment.

This should should never have been a party politics issue, It should have been a united Sheffield against globalising profit...People who make comments like this show only their own limits of understanding....So much of this situation sickens me to the core. I hope we vote all the Councillors out and get some independents who actually care about things rather than their party and are brave enough to do things.

The LibDems clearly stated they were against this, well before the election as well. You can't blame the LibDems for not representing an area where they weren't voted in yet representing an area where they were. If you wanted their support at Firth Park than the people of Firth Park should have voted them in, it was a clear party-policy to stop these fellings from happening. Unfortunately areas like Firth Park will vote Labour regardless.

You are right being disgruntled with Labour but incorrect in your views on LibDems regarding this.