Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

5am middle of the night, maybe for journalists who stir up trouble, but not for most hard working people

A dreadful shame, it will ruin the look of one of the prettiest streets in Sheffield. Not to mention making the park look very bare. When we are all choking our last on the unbreatheable air we will remember these trees fondly

Despicable behaviour by the council.

The council released the results of the Independent Tree Panel at 4.25am this morning, after the felling had started. The Panel recommended that alternative solutions could save 6 of the 8 trees that were planned to be felled. The council kept this a secret until it was too late - not one tree was given a reprieve.

What, may I ask, is the point of an Independent Tree Panel if the council are going to hide their recommendations and do whatever they like?

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 11:01 ----------

5am middle of the night, maybe for journalists who stir up trouble, but not for most hard working people

They woke the residents up at 2am to move cars.

Ridiculous strong arm tactics by the council, police and Amey working "in partnership". Collective punishment for Rustlings Road residents for the crime of wanting to save healthy street trees.

Not at all happy about this. I rent a commercial property on Rustlings Road and the trees added a lot of "value" to the place. No prior notice was given to me and I know my business is struggling today due to the works. I doubt I will be receiving compensation from anywhere for it!

Apparently those arrested included a couple of pensioners stood next to a tree! Since when did we have to resort to towing away cars in the middle of the night, having police arresting pensioners and ignoring a huge amount of protest from people who pay the bills for the workforce!

The pavements were cracked in places but there was the option to replace those pavements with materials that could cope with the tree roots. SCC and Amey chose not to do this. Also, the pavement wasn't cracked on both sides of the road. So, if someone really couldn't cope with the uneven surface they could always cross the road to the other side. Perfectly healthy trees that have been there for probably hundreds of years :-(

If it was the Council towing them you'd be right. However, the Police have powers to remove vehicles and I'd think they are the ones who are arranging removals.

OK Im confused. Why the police - surely if there are signs up saying don't park here then the council can remove them as they are for the rest of the roadworks?

OK Im confused. Why the police - surely if there are signs up saying don't park here then the council can remove them as they are for the rest of the roadworks?

There were no signs that I know of. It was unannounced - to avoid protests I presume. I guess that's why they did it in the dark too

There were no signs that I know of. It was unannounced - to avoid protests I presume. I guess that's why they did it in the dark too

So no lawful grounds for removal? Oooh this is going to be a big kettle of worms - come out - no car - late for appointments. Mind you it's SYP apparently doing it so that's nothing new...

Posted by Chris Rust online : Last night the SCC website did not show the Independent Tree Panel's decision on these fellings

At 4:25 am the council website posted the ITP's recommendations which were that 6 of these 8 trees might be saved and that should be considered. The council's response was posted in a very large small print spreadsheet.

Residents were woken at 2am to move cars. There were two very small notices near Rustlings Rd about road closures, very small print with Rustlings at the end of a long list. None of the normal big yellow signs so of course nobody was aware, but presumably this allowed the door knocking.

30-40 police, large number of felling crews and tow trucks arrived and blocked off the road.

Felling started (I was told) before 5am and the trees were substantially felled by daylight. Just the trunks remaining.

Two pensioners, neighbours called Jenny Hockey and Freda Brayshaw, were arrested for standing by the tree outside their homes. A young man then stepped in and was also arrested.

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgFindMember.aspx

Find your local councillor here and email them in complaint.

If you want a template of sorts this is what I just sent

Dear Councillors,

I am emailing to express my concern about the approach and policy that SCC and Amey are taking with regards to the removal of trees across the city.

The specific events which prompt my email are the ones that have taken place on Rustings Road this morning.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/update-three-arrested-in-tree-felling-protest-on-sheffield-street-1-8243000

Last night the SCC website did not show the Independent Tree Panel's decision on these fellings.

At 4:25 am the council website posted the ITP's recommendations which were that 6 of these 8 trees might be saved and that should be considered. The council's response was posted in a very large small print spreadsheet.

Residents were woken at 2am to move cars.

All 8 trees had been removed by dawn.

SCC should not be employing these underhand tactics, nor supporting Amey in them. Amey has a clear desire to remove trees that could be saved, as it will create a cost saving to themselves. This is not in the public interest, nor in the interest of the council. They should not be allowed or supported in this behaviour.

The council should make the recommendations of the ITP binding on itself and on Amey, the public currently have no trust in the judgements or intentions of SCC or of Amey with regards to our street trees.

Please let me know what action you can take to safeguard our street trees.

Edited by Cyclone