Prison officer strike! your thoughts??

Its not,they know crime is easy money and that's why they re-offend.

Crime pays when the punishment doesn't act as a deterrent, prison in many cases is a better environment than many people face outside prison.

Its not,they know crime is easy money and that's why they re-offend.

The Americans incarcerate more per capita than any other country on earth. That's a fact. Some states have the death penalty. Check out their crime rates, their murder rates and their reoffending numbers see how they compare and get back to me.

Why some people hold the American prison system and/or the American justice system as something to aim for mystifies me.

The Americans incarcerate more per capita than any other country on earth. That's a fact. Some states have the death penalty. Check out their crime rates, their murder rates and their reoffending numbers see how they compare and get back to me.

Why some people hold the American prison system and/or the American justice system as something to aim for mystifies me.

So they don't commit crime for easy money then,who said anything about bringing the death penalty back.

Then you want to provide training for the criminals to do proper jobs,then what. About ordinary working class kids who pay for their own careers.

So they don't commit crime for easy money then,who said anything about bringing the death penalty back.

Then you want to provide training for the criminals to do proper jobs,then what. About ordinary working class kids who pay for their own careers.

Criminals don't want proper jobs because proper jobs won't give them the life style they desire.

Criminals don't want proper jobs because proper jobs won't give them the life style they desire.

So all criminals are wealthy? I'm not sure you've thought that through. Some might be but they're a minority. Most live in poverty in crappy areas do t they?

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 12:11 ----------

It's not doing the states any good though is it? Why do we want to be like them?

So all criminals are wealthy? I'm not sure you've thought that through. Some might be but they're a minority. Most live in poverty in crappy areas do t they?

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 12:11 ----------

It's not doing the states any good though is it? Why do we want to be like them?

Did I say they were all wealthy?:confused:

Have read the thread. How depressing.

From the news they dont have enough officers, so they cant do the job properly.

That means less rehabillitation for prisoners, more danger and a less efficent system (note the refusal to send prisoners to court).

They dont have enough officers because of cuts in government spending, low morale, poor training and low retention levels i.e people march with their feet.

The prison in Dorset which had the pictures of the fish and chips etc had already been drawn to the attention of the authorities as being understaffed, but they ignored it.

We should either spend the money or rethink what sort of people we want in prison. We have one of the largest prison populations in Europe. Only Russia and Turket have larger ones.

In contrast this week there was a story on the Dutch prison system, which has a lack of prisoners. Just being hard on people doesnt work, because unless you retrain them, then without skills or means of making a living they are likely to reoffend.

Maybe more rehabillitation training and fewer custodial sentences. Alternatively pay for the prison service. I recall it being anywhere from £25,000 to £50,000 a year to keep someone locked up. What a waste of money in most circumstances.

Dutch prison comparison

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37904263

Did I say they were all wealthy?:confused:

You criminals don't change because they like the lifestyle. I'm wondering which ones like the lifestyle. How many crack addicts like living in a rank flat having mugged just somebody think "I'm living the dream?" You must have had some criminals in mind who enjoy their lifestyle (as opposed to being trapped in it). Do you have any examples of what you mean?

Have read the thread. How depressing.

From the news they dont have enough officers, so they cant do the job properly.

That means less rehabillitation for prisoners, more danger and a less efficent system (note the refusal to send prisoners to court).

They dont have enough officers because of cuts in government spending, low morale, poor training and low retention levels i.e people march with their feet.

The prison in Dorset which had the pictures of the fish and chips etc had already been drawn to the attention of the authorities as being understaffed, but they ignored it.

We should either spend the money or rethink what sort of people we want in prison. We have one of the largest prison populations in Europe. Only Russia and Turket have larger ones.

In contrast this week there was a story on the Dutch prison system, which has a lack of prisoners. Just being hard on people doesnt work, because unless you retrain them, then without skills or means of making a living they are likely to reoffend.

Maybe more rehabillitation training and fewer custodial sentences. Alternatively pay for the prison service. I recall it being anywhere from £25,000 to £50,000 a year to keep someone locked up. What a waste of money in most circumstances.

Dutch prison comparison

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37904263

Problem solved we deport all foreign prisoners, pay the Dutch to look after some British prisoners and stop locking some people up when community service would be a better punishment. I can't understand how there can be a moral argument to spend £50K a year on a criminal whilst some non criminals are starving and living in squalor.

Problem solved we deport all foreign prisoners, pay the Dutch to look after some British prisoners and stop locking some people up when community service would be a better punishment. I can't understand how there can be a moral argument to spend £50K a year on a criminal whilst some non criminals are starving and living in squalor.

You think its that easy to just deport foreign criminals do you?

Well, there is a new piece of legislation coming into force across the EU to make it easier and

Oh...wait.

Never mind.

After watching the Panorama program last night Prison Officers should all get medals.

After watching the Panorama program last night Prison Officers should all get medals.

Of course... everyone deserves medals theses days. Can I have a medal for working too.

We've become a society of self entitlement, up our own backsides and massive chips on our shoulders. We moan about everything and think we should just strike... oh and suddenly we're experts on all subjects (because of the internet)

Leave your jobs but striking... no!

Where's the old stiff upper lip gone in Britain?? :(

Not a pop at you though :) I realise your comment could be taken within the wrong context.