Prison officer strike! your thoughts??

As it's so good then why don't you go get yourself locked up?

What a stupid reply,because I have the duty to fend for my family by grafting and not breaking the law.

I'm a civil servant and have suffered effective pay cuts year on year (changes to pensions, and NI, cut to terms and conditions etc etc etc) and am looking for a new job.....but the absolute last job I'd ever do would be working for the prison service. Shat on from both above and below and hated in equal measure.

Liz Truss (promoted well above her abilities) has announced a new recruitment drive. I'm looking forward to some of the blowhards on here rushing to fill those posts.

You're spot on. They can't even fill teaching positions, so what hope do they have for the prison service? It isn't like Porridge.

The trouble is that no-one really gives a monkey's about prisons or prisoners or anything remotely to do with the subject. I'm not saying it should be the attitude but that's what I've found.

originally posted by sgtkate

Except all you seem to do is whinge on here about how everyone else but you has it so easy. #irony

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

Me whinge?? no just cant stand others that think they are entitled!! again i have never said i had it hard or easy.

Prison officers have chosen their job they know its not going to be pleasant some of the time, its been like it for years Prisons are not pleasant places, i have been to strangeways years ago and Armly visiting and wouldnt want to be in there. overcrowding is the problem and that in part is because the country is overcrowded and with the foreign criminals and fundamental groups.

As it's so good then why don't you go get yourself locked up?

What a stupid reply,because I have the duty to fend for my family by grafting and not breaking the law.

Not a stupid reply, if you keep saying that prison is so easy then why aren't you there? So, so, so many reports have shown that treating first time criminals with respect and giving them a reasonably comfortable time in prison, spending time trying to see why the did what they did and trying to stop it happening again, offering education and job workshops etc. leads to dramatically lower reoffending rates than going the other extreme of treating them like rats. If anything the stupid reply is yours as it's based on some bizarre feeling of unfairness that prisoners aren't treated like crap...

Perhaps we should have 2 tier prisons, those for first time offenders who get the 'cushty' setup where the main aim is rehabilitation, and then a second tier for those who cannot be rehabilitated where things are exceptionally basic and the main aim is simply to keep these people away from society.

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 10:24 ----------

originally posted by sgtkate

Except all you seem to do is whinge on here about how everyone else but you has it so easy. #irony

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

Me whinge?? no just cant stand others that think they are entitled!! again i have never said i had it hard or easy.

Prison officers have chosen their job they know its not going to be pleasant some of the time, its been like it for years Prisons are not pleasant places, i have been to strangeways years ago and Armly visiting and wouldnt want to be in there. overcrowding is the problem and that in part is because the country is overcrowded and with the foreign criminals and fundamental groups.

Ok, I retract my original comment, but the prison officers are striking to highlight almost your exact point, that prisons are overcrowded and that something needs to be done! Whether that's your route of deporting foreign criminals or a different solution is up for debate.

Edited by sgtkate
fixing quote tags

Not a stupid reply, if you keep saying that prison is so easy then why aren't you there? So, so, so many reports have shown that treating first time criminals with respect and giving them a reasonably comfortable time in prison, spending time trying to see why the did what they did and trying to stop it happening again, offering education and job workshops etc. leads to dramatically lower reoffending rates than going the other extreme of treating them like rats. If anything the stupid reply is yours as it's based on some bizarre feeling of unfairness that prisoners aren't treated like crap...

Perhaps we should have 2 tier prisons, those for first time offenders who get the 'cushty' setup where the main aim is rehabilitation, and then a second tier for those who cannot be rehabilitated where things are exceptionally basic and the main aim is simply to keep these people away from society.

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 10:24 ----------

Ok, I retract my original comment, but the prison officers are striking to highlight almost your exact point, that prisons are overcrowded and that something needs to be done! Whether that's your route of deporting foreign criminals or a different solution is up for debate.

But in 2012 Reoffending rates reached a record level.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18188610

In 2013 Reoffending rate increases

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/reoffending-rate-increases-8475391.html

And in 2016 Reoffending rates for young criminals 'at highest level for more than 10 years'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3421223/Reoffending-rates-young-criminals-highest-level-10-years.html#ixzz4QAql8cUR

Just of soft do prisons need to be to stop them reoffending.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/reoffending-rate-increases-8475391.html

And in 2016 Reoffending rates for young criminals 'at highest level for more than 10 years'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3421223/Reoffending-rates-young-criminals-highest-level-10-years.html#ixzz4QAql8cUR

The punishment is not severe enough to stop people re offending.

The only prisoners who think theyre "soft" have very hard lives. They arent soft. The reason there is so much reoffending is the lack of training inside an oppotunities outside. Do you want to work along side an armed robber or a sex offender?

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 12:39 ----------

The punishment is not severe enough to stop people re offending.

Utter codswallop.

We should send our long term prisoners to the Caribbean, namely Belize. They wont be coming back to cause any more problems.

The only prisoners who think theyre "soft" have very hard lives. They arent soft. The reason there is so much reoffending is the lack of training inside an oppotunities outside. Do you want to work along side an armed robber or a sex offender?

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 12:39 ----------

Utter codswallop.

Many people that don't commit crime have a much harder life than our prisoners, prisons provide shelter, food, medical care, education and training, which is far more than many people have access to, but still they riot.

Many people that don't commit crime have a much harder life than our prisoners, prisons provide shelter, food, medical care, education and training, which is far more than many people have access to, but still they riot.

perhaps if all the things you mention were more readily available there would be fewer prisoners.....

We should send our long term prisoners to the Caribbean, namely Belize. They wont be coming back to cause any more problems.

Does Belize have a say in the matter?