Sheffield Speedway Tigers

Can remember Guy Allott, Tony Robinson, Clive Featherby, Jack Winstanley, Jack Kitchen, Ron Bagley, et al. I reckon I saw the finest rider of all time at Owlerton - Peter Craven of Belle Vue, soon after that he was killed whilst racing [ at Newcastle or Edinburgh, i think.]

Happy days

I couldn't agree more. Add to your list Len Williams, Ronnie Rolfe, John Dews and Derryl Melbin to complete that era.

Peter Craven was killed at Meadowbank, Edinburgh not so long after becoming World Champion. On a couple of occasions, Wednesday played in London in the afternoon and the World Champs.' Final was on at night at Wembley. Fantastic atmosphere. One of my Wednesday pals then was a lad called 'Spike' Waterhouse and he was one of the shale sweepers on Thursday evenings (43yrs ago).

I used to carry a rider's Castrol can or boot into the stadium to get free admission! Remember well, the Guy Allott v Featherby clashes and the Silver Sash contests. Golden Helmet in the National League.

Other top Provincial stars of that time: Monk, Mauger, Bastable, Sweetman, Templeton, Wayne Briggs, Hunter, Silver.

Most memorable occasion - doing the '81 World Final from the Wembley Press Box and walking up the Wembley tunnel afterwards to the interview room. On top of that, had big bet on winner, Bruce Penhall. Sadly, Gundersen was subsequently injured, seriously, and Carter shot himself.

Can remember Arnold Haley and John Dews riding then but can't remember the others ,can anybody remember them?

Bob Paulson, Billy Bales, Alan Jay, Clive Featherby, Jack Kitchen and later Bent Larsonn

As I remember it the speedway closed down for a few years then re-started in the early 60's, my mum and Dad were not keen but my auntie Lily used to take me and David, her son. We were there for the grand re-opening night and got promoted to division one in our first season, at least thats how I remember it, theres a web site at

http://www.sheffieldspeedway.com/main.asp

I know at one time, about 1960, there were two divisions. There was the National League - Norwich, Southampton, Oxford, Coventry, Wimbledon, Belle Vue etc. and the Provincial League which had Poole, Sheffield, Cradley H. Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Exeter, Hackney et al.

The Provincial League was the poorer relation and I know a few people who chose to go to Belle Vue or Coventry to see the 'top' boys. They did make rare appearances at Owlerton for Cup-matches etc and challenge events.

The World Championships that were held at Wembley were the best occasions amidst a tremendous atmosphere.

It was always exciting at Owlerton when a visiting rider held the 'Silver Sash' and had to face Sheffield's top scorer of the evening, in a three-race match challenge. eg Guy Allott v Len Silver! The National League did similar but that was for the 'Golden Helmet'.

Tracks did close unfortunately from time to time but some re-opened and I'm guessing that it was Frank Varey who did much to ressurect Sheffield Speedway at that time. The 'Star' reporter of that period was Reg Whitaker but I can't pick his brains any more as Reg sadly died not so long ago.

Ah - such happy memories. I remember all the names Nimrod mentioned. I was there the horribly sad night that Guy Allot fell from the back of the tractor under the chains. We were a great team in those days! I even missed the 1966 World Cup Final to go and see Sheffield v Coventry in Coventry - but we crashed into the back of a Mini in Deby and ended up in hospital - missed everything!

I intend to introduce my grandson to the sport this season, he's only 6 and never seen speedway. A nice warm summers evening will do.:) :)

Does anyone remember Tommy Allott a real favourite with the fans.

Hi,

In the 1940's just about every kid new of Frank Varey and Tommy Allott.

Does anybody remember Jack Parker, who used to ride for Belle Vue?

Regards

Here's a late reply to bushbaby.....

You probably used to deliver our family newspapers too. I lived a couple of doors from Frank Varey as a kid. His house was always open to a few of us neighbourhood children and he never wasted an opportunity to load us all into his mini van and drive us to the track during school holidays. I was about six at the time but allowed into the pits, the office, just about anywhere... which was amazing for a six or seven year old back then. We would arrive around three in the afternoon when the riders started to show up. Some of them travelled a long way. Ron Baguely from Ispwich, Clive Featherby from Norwich, Guy Allott from his farmhouse (somewhere on the moors). I remember the Boocock brothers, Nigel and Eric, hanging around when they weren't riding elsewhere...I think they fancied Christine, one of the promoter's daughters. I was in love with her too but didn't stand much chance at six! John Dews, a junior, became a star overnight one night and yes I was there when the tractor jumped forward ending Guy Allott's career as he fell under the track-grader.

I saw Peter Craven ride at Sheffield in an exhibition when he started on his own starting line 25 yards behind everyone else and still rode to maximum points. Before the meetings Nicky Allott used to do laps on the track on a scaled down bike his dad had built for him, whilst Guy prepared his gleaming machines for the night. His bike was always spotless, glistening in the floodlights which hung on low wires stretched across the track. Guy always took an outside line and I'll swear it was to keep his bike clean. He always seemed to have a little extra oomph at the end to finish first. It was unthinkable for him to score less than the maximum points at home. Ron Baguely's bike on the other hand was scruffy from the minute he arrived. He needed all the help he could get and would let me assist in cutting the rubber tread on his tires. That would never happen today, handing a six year old a super-sharp knife and letting him slice the tires your life would depend on for the next few hours. I would get a bucket of water and some soap suds which we both dipped the knife into periodically to keep it lubricated.

There was a certain smell in the air and a smoky excitement I would never forget. I think my maths skills improved adding up the scores on the programme as the night slipped by. At the end we would make our way back to Frank's office where his wife Gladys would keep a motherly eye on us. It was not much more than a shed really. We helped ourselves to Sheffield Tigers' transfers, old programmes and picked up tear-away goggles used by the heroes of the night. We got to listen to the inside jokes the riders would be telling, laugh about their mistakes - like we knew - and get high on life at the speedway. Then, early the following night we would pile into Frank's mini van and head back to the track to help pick up litter from the speedway. He couldn't get enough of us kids and we couldn't get enough of Frank. As we picked up the rubbish the greyhounds would be running. We'd make bets, just between ourselves and Frank. He always lost on purpose. We picked 'em by their names. Form meant nothing. I remember winning a bobble hat when Nutty Sombrero romped home at six to one. It was my favourite ice-cream of the day from Mr Whippy. That and a penny's worth of wafers. Anyway, one day my mum was called into school and shown an entry in my diary which we began every day by writing. It said: "Last night I went to the dogs with my friend Frank." The teacher considered that an inappropriate way for a young boy to spend his summer evenings. Little did she know. Obviously she never met "My friend Frank" Varey, or his wife Gladys, or the Allotts, or Clive Featherby (who WAS a misery gutts but an awesome rider on his day) or Ron Baguley, John Dews, the famous Peter Craven, and a host of others. Not to mention the Boococks when they were around and Christine. Oooo Christine!

I know Cath was there. Were you?

have not been on sheffield forum for ages,but really enjoyed your posting keywest!I just wanted to say that your happy memories of the speedway brought me lots of sunshine on this cold wet murky day.Thanks a lot,Kath

Hi Kath,

What about the Jay brothers, Alan & Stuart who own Jay's Car Breakers at Treeton. My wife lived near them at Catcliffe and used to polish Alan's leathers when she was about 13. I also remeber Ivan Mauger riding around 1968, and as others have mentioned the Boococks, Eric & Nigel and Clive Fetherby who was excellent. Not been since 1970, got into road racing and still go to the classic and vintage meetings.

Sorry about the spelling of some names - memory loss! Yes, the Jays...I'd forgotten them. I was happy to be able to take you back there for a moment Kath, if only to escape the weather. It's 89 degrees (farenheit - remember that too?) in Key West today.