Tramline - oughtibridge to stocksbridge

Hello

Just wondered if anyone could help?

Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the tram lines from Hillsborough to stocksbridge by going through middlewood rd north then up on to Manchester road ? Just with all the house building going on I guess that this may be a future development ?

Thanks

Not at present. SYPTE have just conducted a consultation on what people would like to see from the tram system in the future to guide funding bids and a line to Stocksbridge was a popular request. This could be an extension of the existing line to Middlewood running on street or it could be a tram train utilising the freight line which would offer a fast traffic free route into the city

Edited by Andy C

Ah yes , so they could potentially make use of the rail track on the other side of the don? Just curious that's all because I've seen a house in oughtibridge that I'm thinking of viewing but just wondered that's all because it's on the main road and was thinking about what may happen in the future.

Although this would be a great idea (as would expanding ST in other areas) the cost will prove its downfall I fear.

Hello

Just wondered if anyone could help?

Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the tram lines from Hillsborough to stocksbridge by going through middlewood rd north then up on to Manchester road ? Just with all the house building going on I guess that this may be a future development ?

Thanks

I personally cannot see this happening soon. There is a regular tramlink bus between Stocksbridge and Hillsborough. I just cannot see how they will justify the cost of a tramline between the two areas.

Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the tram lines from Hillsborough to stocksbridge by going through middlewood rd north then up on to Manchester road ?

The chance of this happening is zero. The council doesn't have the money to extend the tram and if it did then areas like Broomhill, Fir Vale and Nether Edge would get priority. The population density from Middlewood to Stocksbridge is very low and far more people would use the tram if it were extended on Glossop, Abbeydale and Barnsley Roads.

Tram lines are massively expensive. Have a look at this, it will give you some indication: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34126713

Nottingham recently put in two new lines and it cost them £570m. They pay for it via a workplace parking levy. Would you want one of those here if it paid for new tram lines?

I thought that there was a tram link included in the planning my for the new housing project in Oughtibridge on the old paper mill site?

I wouldn't mind actually, could be combined with a small levy on all public transport tickets as well.

As others have said though, even though the lines are there it's unlikely anything will occur due to the massive costs involved.

Perhaps in later years, as much of the land along that valley is brownfield and will be opened up for development.

There are plenty of places across the city and the region that would benefit from tram extensions. its just a shame the money will never be there to extend the network.

Well if we get our act together and start some levy thing now there will be some money in the pot in 15-20 years or so.

Probably not enough to pay for the work outright, but maybe enough to put towards a project with the government putting in the rest?

I wouldn't have thought the topography really lends itself to a tram - a winding valley that often floods and occasionally collapses.