First Bus (82) Sunday 1535

As a passenger on the bus to head up Stannington Road from Malin Bridge today (approx. 3.40pm No.82) seated at the front upstairs I noticed a car already overtaking parked vehicles coming down in the opposite direction.

Our bus had not yet arrived at the limited width.

The bus continued right up to the first car to be overtaken AND took the width it would take to do so.

As a result the car coming down, with only a few yards left to finish her overtaking had no where to go, and after maybe 20 secs went back to reverse into a small space.

Shame on you bus driver. It took hardly any change of pace to let her through.

Love to have seen it with a van full of builders!

If you are the lady in question and want a witness to complain -PM me.

Edited by FORE
time missed

Guest busdriver1

from upstairs you may have had a vastly different perspective than the driver sitting downstairs?

Front seat? Another few feet lower I'd have been sat on the driver's shoulders.

No, the car was well into overtaking the group of park cars well before the bus arrived at his first obstruction.

It's a well known place for parked cars restricting flow in one direction. Usually it works well and courteously.

I usually drive and couldn't believe it was happening.

A car should surely give priority to a large vehicle such as a bus to manoeuvre ... after all its common sense it would be far easier to pull in for a car than a 12 metre long bus.

The salient point is the paragraph 'left to finish her overtaking' ... wouldn't expect much else really.

A car should surely give priority to a large vehicle such as a bus to manoeuvre ... after all its common sense it would be far easier to pull in for a car than a 12 metre long bus.

The salient point is the paragraph 'left to finish her overtaking' ... wouldn't expect much else really.

Sexism and failure to read the original post properly.

You're a troll, right?

cars can nip into gaps in parked vehicles or reverse if needed, 40ft buses can`t just nip into gaps and they would need a qualified banksperson to reverse so it makes sense for the car driver to give way

Yes.

Agree entirely.

But didn't the OP say the car had entered the width-restricted section before the 'bus had arrived at it?

In which case it's simple common courtesy to wait?

As someone who drives that route quite often, you can usually fit a bus and a car in the limited width as long as both are far enough across.

If this was not the case, then all drivers are only human and mistakes do happen. It's a shame that our society is so quick to want to get people into trouble for every mistake.

At the end of the day both drivers stopped and this is part and parcel of driving to watch for a developing hazard, I'm glad to see that both parties stopped and nothing else happened.

Not sure what is achieved by posting on a public forum.

The majority of these bus drivers have gone through the Smyth's advance driving course & are taught to look out for potential hazards like on your theory lesson but more intense

https://www.drivedifferent.com/

The majority of these bus drivers have gone through the Smyth's advance driving course & are taught to look out for potential hazards like on your theory lesson but more intense

https://www.drivedifferent.com/

Pity they dont take a blind bit of notice....I have had 2 pull out in front of me without indicating today.