Website hacked - annoyed.

It's not been awful, but it's been repetitive. A few links stuck in the index page as far as I can see. They've tried to put in malware which Sitelock has found and got rid of. But they're still getting in. We've changed passwords, sitelock has changed dns settings (after this I don't understand much), any coding on the site is from the lastest version of xara web designer and xara say they're safe. 123reg (who sold me Sitelock) said they can't keep everything out, which beggars the question - what's the point? PC that the site was uploaded from is free from viruses and malware. Hosting service are saying it shouldn't happen again but are advising me to move anyway (!).

I'm fast reaching my very last nerve. Will a move to a different hosting service put it to bed?

It's not been awful, but it's been repetitive. A few links stuck in the index page as far as I can see. They've tried to put in malware which Sitelock has found and got rid of. But they're still getting in. We've changed passwords, sitelock has changed dns settings (after this I don't understand much), any coding on the site is from the lastest version of xara web designer and xara say they're safe. 123reg (who sold me Sitelock) said they can't keep everything out, which beggars the question - what's the point? PC that the site was uploaded from is free from viruses and malware. Hosting service are saying it shouldn't happen again but are advising me to move anyway (!).

I'm fast reaching my very last nerve. Will a move to a different hosting service put it to bed?

nothings 100% safe fella

nothings 100% safe fella

I get that. But if that's the case, why just me? My competitors don't have "this site maybe hacked" underneath their google listings. There's no customer data, no card details on it, no nuclear launch codes or minutes of cabinet meetings. It's a product catalogue really and that's it.

If someone can say "this is where they are getting" I'll do something about it. All I've got is "it's not us".

Lots of cheaper hosts, or 'free' hosts (and those that include space with a domain etc) often have lower security on the servers that host the cheaper/free stuff, because they aren't really designed for use by heavy traffic sites, or sites that may attract hacking...

business hosting accounts, or fully managed/supported hosting is more secure, and monitored better...

You're much better with a managed hosting, or get your own VPS and learn a bit about linux, setting up your own AV and security and website etc....

in what way was your site hacked? - knowing what happened, (and seeing your site before and after if possible) could help determine HOW they hacked it, where the vulnerability is, and ultimately prevent it happening again..

Lots of cheaper hosts, or 'free' hosts (and those that include space with a domain etc) often have lower security on the servers that host the cheaper/free stuff, because they aren't really designed for use by heavy traffic sites, or sites that may attract hacking...

business hosting accounts, or fully managed/supported hosting is more secure, and monitored better...

You're much better with a managed hosting, or get your own VPS and learn a bit about linux, setting up your own AV and security and website etc....

in what way was your site hacked? - knowing what happened, (and seeing your site before and after if possible) could help determine HOW they hacked it, where the vulnerability is, and ultimately prevent it happening again..

I've only got a "before" we delete it and put a clean version up asap, change the password. I don't know how it was hacked (obviously) just back links put into the index page with/and/or malware according to sitelock. I'm looking at fully managed hosting but I've read cloud hosting is more secure than shared hosting (which I thought was the same thing).

There are many factors as to why your website gets hacked, mainly, it's down to the add-ons & extensions you've used on your website, you have to make sure that everything is up to date and your package gets updated as soon as new versions come up, as developers try their best to eliminate vulnerabilities these packages might have. Apart from that, you have to get in touch with your hosting provider and ask them for advice, most providers will give highly useful information, depending on what kind of software you're using back-end.

By the way, I do provide web design and hosting services, you more than welcome to pop in so we have a chat, I can take a look at your current build and give you some advice etc. Also could offer you a new website from scratch aas a package deal, everything inclusive as such... Just get in touch: CONTACT FORM

We were due to web hosting move (a move itself might improve things) Monday so we'll see how the new boys do. im hopeful but not really confident, but we'll see how we do!

We were due to web hosting move (a move itself might improve things) Monday so we'll see how the new boys do. im hopeful but not really confident, but we'll see how we do!

i blame brexit :hihi:

i blame brexit :hihi:

I haven't had that one yet. Ask me Tuesday! I'm really hoping it can get sorted Monday to be honest - I'm not panicking yet but I'm getting there.

I haven't had that one yet. Ask me Tuesday! I'm really hoping it can get sorted Monday to be honest - I'm not panicking yet but I'm getting there.

good luck fella

good luck fella

Thank you my man. Thanks for the from everyone as well. I think we've done most of them but we'll go through them again!

If you want someone to check your code to double check speak to liam1412.

Also, some hosts offer website lock. You can not changed anything inside your public_html folder without unlocking it in your control panel first.

Rick

If you want someone to check your code to double check speak to liam1412.

Also, some hosts offer website lock. You can not changed anything inside your public_html folder without unlocking it in your control panel first.

Rick

Now that's something that would be useful - our current hosting service control panel is old. In fact there are some files I think they've put up that are really quite old if memory serves. A new hosting company might give us the chance to clean house.

If that doesn't work, someone to check code might be useful - the site works ok.