People leaving their handbrake off

Saab cars won't let you take out the key unless it is in reverse, once the key is removed it can't be taken out of reverse. I always thought it was a great idea.

Not so good if you're facing uphill? Can't see many people having the common sense to remember to park facing downhill if that's the case. Good idea though.

Wouldn't that point the wheels away from the curb ? Surely facing uphill on the left side of the road you want right hand down to put the back of the wheels against the kerb ?

If you park quite tight to the kerb uphill, left hand down is steering the rear of the car into the kerb edge, if a mishap occured it would steer itself away from the centre of the road. If you put right hand down uphill and had any misshap, the car would roll towards the centre of the road. It's just the way I do it.

Angel1.

Not so good if you're facing uphill? Can't see many people having the common sense to remember to park facing downhill if that's the case. Good idea though.

It's a great idea, but only until (as happened on my old 900) the shift linkage failed at 5pm on Christmas Eve, giving me no option but to leave it parked outside for three days with the key still in the ignition:o

The car was still perfectly driveable too, as it was only reverse that couldn't be selected, thankfully the impromptu security device I applied (a beanie hat over the ignition column to hide the key:D) sufficed and it wasn't nicked, as it could very easily have been.

My current Saab, a 9-3, doesn't have this feature though and I do miss it a bit.

Saab cars won't let you take out the key unless it is in reverse, once the key is removed it can't be taken out of reverse. I always thought it was a great idea.

My wife's car won't let you take the ignition fob out unless you are in park.

Recently the fob failed over 240 miles away from the spare one and the car needed recovering. Bit of a problem that when it is 4 wheel drive and locked in park. Not a straightforward winch job.

My fellas car has an automatic handbrake. I won't drive his car lol. I am so worried it will not work. He still rolls the car when he gets out to check lol. Just because the screen says break on I still want to pull a lever.

I think it's more of a case of the handbrake snapping, rather than forgetting to put it on. Surely the car would move as the weight changes when you get out.

---------- Post added 13-11-2016 at 15:49 ----------

Can't figure why these people don't do as I was taught whem learning to drive. When you stop facing up hill as well as the handbrake leave in first gear and in reverse when facing down hill Simple.

I used to do this, until I once turned the ignition on without taking it out of gear, and smashed into the car in front.

I always leave my car in gear when I park, so should the handbrake fail it won't roll away. Was taught to do this when I learned to drive (way back in the day!).

Yes. Same here and it's also a reason I wouldn't have an automatic gearbox vehicle.

Yes. Same here and it's also a reason I wouldn't have an automatic gearbox vehicle.

Autos have a transmission lock!

My old Audi also had a handbrake which I used to use as well.

lol you could cut the handbrake cables of an automatic and it wouldnt move, they have have transmission lock when in Park.

It could be caused by the way drivers apply the handbrake.I am told that learners are told to press the button when applying,if this is correct then they are being misinformed.The handbrake should be applied by just pulling it on over the ratchet and not pressing the button whilst doing this.

It could be caused by the way drivers apply the handbrake.I am told that learners are told to press the button when applying,if this is correct then they are being misinformed.The handbrake should be applied by just pulling it on over the ratchet and not pressing the button whilst doing this.

I got taught that doing this knackers up the handbrake cable. If testing then you shouldn't press the button but wait to hear 3 clicks. If it's more Han 3 the cable needs tightening

I got taught that doing this knackers up the handbrake cable. If testing then you shouldn't press the button but wait to hear 3 clicks. If it's more Han 3 the cable needs tightening

I was told to push button in as you applied handbrake when I was learning to drive

The reason I was given was its stops ratchet mechanism wearing out but that was in a Datsun 120y