Wortley Arms; has it reopened?

One of my favourite evening cycle rides is out to Wortley and back on a fine summer's evening, which is always enhanced by a couple of pints of the fine real ales at the Wortley Arms.

Last I heard on the forum - around the end of february i think - the Wortley Arms was closed and there was some doubt as to whether it would reopen or not.

Anyone know if it's up and running again?

Is that the one with the revolving door.

Finally answered my own question last night by cycling up there and sadly no, it hasn't reopened and judging by the state of it, it won't reopen in the near future, if at all.

All the inside appears to have been gutted, there's a skip with a load of rubbish outside and, while the signs are still up, there's no indication as to what the future plans for the place are.

Such a shame - was a really nice real ale and food pub with great views and on a very busy road, so you'd have thought it would attract plenty of custom.

Anyone in the Wortley area know what's likely to become of the place?

Finally answered my own question last night by cycling up there and sadly no, it hasn't reopened and judging by the state of it, it won't reopen in the near future, if at all.

All the inside appears to have been gutted, there's a skip with a load of rubbish outside and, while the signs are still up, there's no indication as to what the future plans for the place are.

Such a shame - was a really nice real ale and food pub with great views and on a very busy road, so you'd have thought it would attract plenty of custom.

Anyone in the Wortley area know what's likely to become of the place?

that bend is a night mare.

Speaking of that bend at wortley. Does that bloke still sit there in the sunshine? He was always there in the summer, sitting on the bench getting slowly baked in the sun. I used to drive through wortley from 1994 until 2002 and every day in the summer, this sun worshipper would be there.

it's a pity. I've had some great nights in there whilst working at Wortley hall

If anyone (apart from me) is interested, The Barnsley Independent paper reported the other week that the Wortley Arms refurbishment is almost complete and it's expected to re-open sometime in October.

If anyone (apart from me) is interested, The Barnsley Independent paper reported the other week that the Wortley Arms refurbishment is almost complete and it's expected to re-open sometime in October.

Will Chris Smith be still in as Manager?.

His dad owned the Crossfield Tavern in High Green for years.

I go to wortley quite reguarly and know the people that run the estate. The pub is set to reopen soon but there was some trouble with the last tennants of the pub. The reopening keeps being put back should be up and running soon. Shame because its a cracking pub!

I travel round the Wortley Bend most days. Haven't seen the old guy sunning himself this year. The new sign is up on the pub and they are making progress. Previous post sums it up.

Sadly, the sun worshipping guy died a year or so ago.

I think his name was Mark and a new bench has been put up in his honour.

On the subject on the Wortley Arms, I drive past it every day and I hope I'm wrong, but it looks as if it's been given the 'style bar' treatment.

Sandy, neutral coloured walls and halogen lighting being installed....

Noooooooooooooo!

Heres the low down on the wortley arms. Found out today that it is set to reopen in October! wether or not this will happen is to be seen. The place was falling apart so is being completly revamped. Apparently the upstairs is being converted into a s****y restaurant??? Anyway good news thats it will be serving again.