How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

So you want emergency vehicle to drive down the hard shoulder and stop all the traffic in the left lane so they can get to the casualties, your idea involves no one moving. You can't see how inefficient that would be, much better for left lane traffic to carry on moving whilst emergency vehicle use the lanes that are closed, at some point the police would also direct drivers to use the hard shoulder.

You seem more concerned about the drivers in the left hand lane being able to keep moving. I don't mind slowing down or stopping if someone else's life or health at risk.

You seem more concerned about the drivers in the left hand lane being able to keep moving. I don't mind slowing down or stopping if someone else's life or health at risk.

The point is that no one would have to stop if every driver had the sense to move left and leave the outside lanes clear. Its would be better for traffic flow, better for the emergency services and better for the casualties.

But why do you think that three 1 miles queues is more efficient than one 3 mile queue. Once everyone is in single file the queue will move more efficiently and everyone will get through in turn. Do you form multiple queues in any other situation?

Two rooms of equal size and a door only big enough for one person at a time, in room one 100 people have formed an orderly queue, in room two the 100 people are just flocking round the door. When the doors opens everyone as to escape from the rooms, which room will empty first, room one with the orderly queue or room two with everyone flocked round the door vying for a place and not knowing who will move first?

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 16:40 ----------

Because the accident is in the outside lanes.

Actually the most efficient way to get a large group of people through a door is to put a number of fences approaching but not blocking the door. People then use the fences as guides and proceed quicker through the door.

The point is the 3 queues take up less space and so don't block junctions and hence joining roads further. But I'm really sick of talking about this now so I'm out....

Actually the most efficient way to get a large group of people through a door is to put a number of fences approaching but not blocking the door. People then use the fences as guides and proceed quicker through the door.

The point is the 3 queues take up less space and so don't block junctions and hence joining roads further. But I'm really sick of talking about this now so I'm out....

You would need fences to guide sheep through a door but most humans are capable of forming a singe file queue, they even manage to get infants as your as 2 and 3 to form single file queue without the need for fences.

Three 1 mile queues takes up the same space as one 3 mile queue.

Is this thread going to push into the other one?

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 22:39 ----------

Ooh! Look!

It just overtook the other thread. Quick! Block it!

The point is that no one would have to stop if every driver had the sense to move left and leave the outside lanes clear. Its would be better for traffic flow, better for the emergency services and better for the casualties.

How much emergency services driving have you done Smithy? What on earth makes you think you are even remotely able to comment on it?

Well?

Of course they would still have to stop, it's exactly the same volume of traffic trying to occupy the space no matter where they merge.

The reason a queue forms and stops is that the obstruction is reducing the flow rate of the road to less than the amount of traffic approaching it.

When traffic is light no queue forms and traffic continues to flow through the obstruction no matter which lane you approach in.

Nobody has been able to explain why, when there are merge in turn signs, it's possible for people to act in a civilised manner and use both lanes whereas without them people turn into selfish road hogs with their "they shall not pass mentality".

Of course they would still have to stop, it's exactly the same volume of traffic trying to occupy the space no matter where they merge.

The reason a queue forms and stops is that the obstruction is reducing the flow rate of the road to less than the amount of traffic approaching it.

When traffic is light no queue forms and traffic continues to flow through the obstruction no matter which lane you approach in.

A singe file queue of people walking through a door, they walk through at a constant speed, someone runs to the front and pushes in, everyone now in the queue as to stop whilst the queue jumper walks through the door, if the queue jumper had joined the back of the queue the queue would have continued to move and they would have got though when it was their turn.

Two queues of people walking through a door, merging in turn, they get through just as fast as the single queue. But the queue is half the length and doesn't interfere with the corridors and doors behind them.

Two queues of people walking through a door, merging in turn, they get through just as fast as the single queue. But the queue is half the length and doesn't interfere with the corridors and doors behind them.

That find if there are already two queues, but if there is only one queue pushing in holds it up.

You are number 10 in a queue at a checkout, I come in behind you but realise that I am blocking the isle, so instead of standing behind you I start a new queue next to number 1 in the queue, 8 more people come in behind me, so we have successfully avoided blocking the isle.

The polite thing for me to do is wait until your queue as moved and you are served then I and my queue take our turn to be served.

Or do you suggest we zip merge now we have 2 queues, I move in after number 1 and become number 2 and so on until everyone in my queue as been served before you.

Assuming you are which is very unlikely based on your posts, you would rather negotiate a three lane traffic jam than travel down an empty lane.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 15:42 ----------

I am aware that sometimes when a road is congested there is a need to take a longer route, I have yet to meet an emergency response driver that thinks it is preferable to take the longest route, they would prefer the shortest route to be clear.

Whats your response driving and blue light training then Smithy?

Still waiting..... come on Mitty what is it?