How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

Let`s be clear what we mean here. If a driver leaves a queue, drives off all round the back streets, then rejoins the same queue, and at the same side of the junction causing the hold up, they`ve just jumped the queue. It really annoys me when I see this for two reasons. The first is that they have just jumped the queue and that is enough on its own to wind me up. But the second reason is they`ve just taken advantage of the goodwill of another motorist (who has let them in further on) to do so. The pernicious effect of this is each time I see this happening it, makes me a little less willing to let other drivers in.

What can be done to stop it ?

Are there any no here who are willing to try and argue black is white and the drivers concerned aren`t actually doing anything wrong ?

First of all you'd have to assert and explain what they are doing wrong. There's no laws being broken, if somebody needs to speed up their journey and they're willing to take a detour to get ahead, what are they actually doing wrong?

A classic, and particularly blatant, example occurred this morning. A white Fiat 500 gets let out turning right onto Middlewood Rd from from Crofton Ave, then almost immediately turns left down Dudley Rd. Then immediately turns right along that narrow little car parking road, drives to the front and cheekily pulls out (actually gets let out....) again onto Middlewood Rd, having gained about 10 car lengths ! It was the most blatant piece of queue jumping I`ve ever seen !

More common are the cars which use Penistone Old Rd (past the old Prestos) to jump the peak time queue along the main dual carriageway. That`s why, if I`m using that little one way system outside Burrows, I never let a car in which has come along the old road.

To those who don`t mind this queue jumping, I pose this question :

Are we saying it`s fine if drivers jump the queue ?

Further, are you saying you wouldn`t mind if they jumped the traffic queue in front of you ? Can we then take that one stage further, would you mind if, say, someone pushed in front of you in the Supermarket queue ? If you would mind that, what`s the difference ?

I'm not really familiar with that road or the traffic situation so I can't really answer your question

It's down to the fact that most people believe in waiting their turn to get to the road ahead, but some drivers seem to believe that they are too important to have to wait their turn, and so they shouldn't have to queue to get there.

I think people like to queue.

When a 2 lane road merges into 1 lane, people just seem to want to queue, single file, for miles.

Please just merge at the point of the lane narrowing, not miles back.

This is a common but very odd phenomena, I'm one of the people who will use the empty right lane if people are (quite bizarrely) queuing in the left lane. On occasion you get some angry queuer who will break ranks and drive straddling the lanes or completely in the right lane but at the speed of the left, so as to block the right lane.

It's as though some people don't know it's an offence to wilfully obstruct the highway.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 13:29 ----------

It's down to the fact that most people believe in waiting their turn to get to the road ahead, but some drivers seem to believe that they are too important to have to wait their turn, and so they shouldn't have to queue to get there.

It doesn't really matter what people believe, all that matters (on the roads) is what's legal and safe.

On my way home there's regularly a massive queue in the left lane leading up to a roundabout (because of people wanting to exit left on the roundabout) I have to go across the roundabout (this requires the left lane) but every day I drive down the empty right lane and circle fully round the roundabout before exiting.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 13:36 ----------

i quite like it when a Hgvs slows the queue jumper down by blocking the out side lane, its amazing how fast the inside lane moves.

It's also illegal

We're still queueing, but at the merge point, instead of leaving a lane empty pointlessly :)

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 13:45 ----------

This is a common but very odd phenomena, I'm one of the people who will use the empty right lane if people are (quite bizarrely) queuing in the left lane. On occasion you get some angry queuer who will break ranks and drive straddling the lanes or completely in the right lane but at the speed of the left, so as to block the right lane.

It's as though some people don't know it's an offence to wilfully obstruct the highway.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 13:29 ----------

It doesn't really matter what people believe, all that matters (on the roads) is what's legal and safe.

On my way home there's regularly a massive queue in the left lane leading up to a roundabout (because of people wanting to exit left on the roundabout) I have to go across the roundabout (this requires the left lane) but every day I drive down the empty right lane and circle fully round the roundabout before exiting.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 13:36 ----------

It's also illegal

Don't tell everyone about the roundabout thing, or they'll all start doing it! Although I suppose it wouldn't make any difference to the traffic overall, if you think about the bigger picture, it's just spreading it out.

At the top of Halifax road on your out towards Grenoside the two lanes merge into one. When I'm in the left lane I DO NOT allow in those jokers that come tearing up from behind and attempt to cut in front of me.

Do you let people in who use the right lane correctly, at a safe speed though?

Has the Fiat 500 broken any rules of the road, if not suck it up.

Angel1.

Has the Fiat 500 broken any rules of the road, if not suck it up.

Angel1.

Which one? The one that ran me over? :suspect:

It happens all the time on my way home up Halifax Road, when you get to Grenoside it merges to one lane. I can guarantee that drivers will queue only in the left lane and leave the right one (which isn't a right turn lane) empty, and then they get face on when I try and merge into the queue from the right lane.

My partner was told by a police officer that the drivers in the left lane who refuse to let the other cars merge are actually classed as committing road rage. You should give way to vehicles on the right.

OP, you can't control what other people do, just leave them to it, stressing about it only hurts yourself and a stressed driver is not a good driver.

The only people who annoy me when driving are those who don't indicate and people who try to force their way out of give way junctions.

The annoying ones at this spot as those you think the merge in turn is actually a 'try to overtake as many cars as possible at breakneck speed and squeeze in at the last minute' point. It's funny when they don't spot the speed trap just ahead...

Edited by barleycorn

The mistake you are making is assuming it is your lane.

When two lanes merge into one the resulting single lane is not anybodies.

Both approaching drivers have equal rights to the lane and as such should merge in turn.

It is not the fault of the driver in the right hand lane that you have sat in a queue for half a mile, that is your choice.

If both lanes were used equally the queue would be half the size, as you said everyone is waiting to get through the traffic lights at Grenoside cross-roads..

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 12:52 ----------

That particular bend is pretty bad, water runoff from the woods makes it really slick, and being so close to a garage there's always a few dribbles of diesel thrown into the mix to make it worse.

You are correct, the queue would be half the length, but no more cars would get through the merge point. If the queue blocks any junctions then having a shorter queue is significant, but if it doesn`t the length of the queue is irrelevant, all it means is cars arriving later (and driving to the front) jump the queue.

Do you let people in who use the right lane correctly, at a safe speed though?

Yes, as I stated before being banned and my posts removed!

You are correct, the queue would be half the length, but no more cars would get through the merge point. If the queue blocks any junctions then having a shorter queue is significant, but if it doesn`t the length of the queue is irrelevant, all it means is cars arriving later (and driving to the front) jump the queue.

I think you've just answered your own question...

Q- How do you stop the queue jumping motorists?

A- Use both lanes, rather than queue in the left. If both lanes are the same length nobody can queue jump.

Stop worrying - stop queueing!

Do all your travel between 11pm and 5am and enjoy the open road.

Edited by Flexo