Hybrid vehicles question

Brother in law has a Tesla P90D....I teased him about it to be honest...he could have had an S class from his company, but its convinced me. Quoted range is 300, but it does 200 easily, and he almost never visits a charge point...twice a year on holidays, just charges it every night. In many ways its more practical than a petrol or diesel. Oh yes....0-60 in 2.8, but that's not why he bought it....

But not as green

Who cares with acceleration like that?

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 10:32 ----------

No a pure electric is no good as your only car. I took interest for commuting, but I'd have to keep the proper car as well.

Which is perfectly reasonable, but when you think about it keeping two cars on the road isn't very green really :hihi::hihi::hihi:

small new commuting car about £8000 small electric car about £15000, I would guess over 3years of running standard small car, service, fuel and tax. You would still have quite a bit of change from not going electric.

Edited by phil752

Yea, thats without taking into account things like battery rental which roughly costs the same amount as fuelling a relatively economical car.

Yea, thats without taking into account things like battery rental which roughly costs the same amount as fuelling a relatively economical car.

It can be good value if you buy the batteries outright and refrain from "fast" charging them to extend their life.

I do think we should wait a bit longer though before taking the electric plunge.

The newest generation of Li-ION batteries can do 5000 charge cycles (up from 1000 in the high end ones now and 300 which was the standard for many years).

Even if they cost twice as much, the cost of wear will be 2.5 times lower and so I expect would the rental.

The technology is almost there, but not quite. Just need to wait for the latest gen batteries to become standard.

It can be good value if you buy the batteries outright and refrain from "fast" charging them to extend their life.

True but then aren't you another 10 grand or something into the car before you've even turned a wheel??

I do think we should wait a bit longer though before taking the electric plunge.

The newest generation of Li-ION batteries can do 5000 charge cycles (up from 1000 in the high end ones now and 300 which was the standard for many years).

Even if they cost twice as much, the cost of wear will be 2.5 times lower and so I expect would the rental.

The technology is almost there, but not quite. Just need to wait for the latest gen batteries to become standard.

It's still a very questionable benefit if the car costs 7k more in the first place.

Ive never looking to buying and electric car. So I am a bit confused, the price you see for and electric car, does that include the batteries or not. Or do you have to buy or rent the batteries on top of the purchase price.

Ive never looking to buying and electric car. So I am a bit confused, the price you see for and electric car, does that include the batteries or not. Or do you have to buy or rent the batteries on top of the purchase price.

Battery rental is ontop of that unless otherwise stated.

For example the Renault Zoe is £14,000, plus battery rental.

(Renaults battery rental site doesn't work for me?)

Edited by geared

like buying a car with out a fuel tank then

or renting the tank?

Found the price for the Zoe, you're looking at £70 per month rental on the battery.

Thats for 7500 miles per year over 36 months and is the cheapest option they offer.

Yeah, the site is rubbish. I managed to find this though.

https://www.renault.co.uk/services/renault-finance/battery-hire.html

£100/month for someone who does up to 10k miles/year (which isn't particularly high).

So that's another £3600 if you work on a 3 year ownership basis.

So you could buy something else costing up to £17600...