Hybrid vehicles question

Judging by how loud the buses go past my house (steep gradient), we're a long way off an electric motor completing that task!

For every uphill, there's a downhill :)

The largest British customer of the Dennis Dominator was South Yorkshire PTE, with a total of 323 buses being delivered to the company. These included one trolleybus which was built in 1985 for test and evaluation. Many had Rolls-Royce Eagle engines and hub-reduction axles. Most of the SYPTE vehicles received Alexander RH bodywork, these being delivered between 1981–1986, though some were bodied by East Lancs and Northern Counties.

Mostly the Toyota Yaris Hybrid starts off on battery and is silent. When stationary the advice is to leave the car in drive, not neutral. The engine then continues to charge the battery. The idea is to keep the car in ev mode as much as possible because that encourages the engine to be powered on battery at low speed - link.

Hybrid drivers tend to be concerned with fuel economy and the cars encourage steady, economical (and safe) driving. They are fabulous cars - quiet, relaxing to drive and with few visits to the petrol station.

Anybody have a pure electric or chargeable hybrid? I've had my eye on the Renault Zoe for commuting.

The problem is the battery rental, which is high because it allows for fast-charging which kills the batteries, and requires one to specify in advance: usage in miles per year. I might be inclined to buy the battery rather than rent, then I can reduce my costs by avoiding fast-charging, and not lock myself into a certain mileage.

The large plug-in hybrids are quite popular with company car owners as the tax is related to emissions, and the companies outright lie about emissions and MPG with those.

Full electric vehicles like the Zoe are designed for pottering around the city, but not really doing large numbers of miles, hence the mileage restrictions.

You should probably sit down and do some maths, calculate the miles you plan to do, what it'd cost in an equivalent petrol car like the Clio, and then calculate the cost in the Zoe (plus the cost of buying the battery)

So the engine can idle whilst it's accelerating?

Only until the power stored in the battery is exhausted. It's not a magic bullet of free power or efficiency that greatly exceeds a combustion engine when accelerating.

---------- Post added 11-11-2016 at 10:55 ----------

Mostly the Toyota Yaris Hybrid starts off on battery and is silent. When stationary the advice is to leave the car in drive, not neutral. The engine then continues to charge the battery. The idea is to keep the car in ev mode as much as possible because that encourages the engine to be powered on battery at low speed - link.

Hybrid drivers tend to be concerned with fuel economy and the cars encourage steady, economical (and safe) driving. They are fabulous cars - quiet, relaxing to drive and with few visits to the petrol station.

The BMW i8 doesn't look like it encourages steady economical driving.

Only until the power stored in the battery is exhausted. It's not a magic bullet of free power or efficiency that greatly exceeds a combustion engine when accelerating.

I might be wrong but isn't using an internal combustion engine to charge a battery in a car (which then drives an electric motor) rather than the engine driving the wheels itself quite efficient? When Top Gear made their electric car that's what James May did.

Though I saw a report that said because batteries are filthy things building a Prius does more environmental damage over its lifetime than a Jeep Wrangler.

If you care that much, buy a bike.

The BMW i8 doesn't look like it encourages steady economical driving.

No, but the i3 does. Which funnily enough also offers a range exteender version of a small engine solely to charge the batteries.

---------- Post added 11-11-2016 at 11:03 ----------

Awesome advice to one of the most obvious cyclists on this forum! ;)

No, but the i3 does. Which funnily enough also offers a range exteender version of a small engine solely to charge the batteries.

---------- Post added 11-11-2016 at 11:03 ----------

Awesome advice to one of the most obvious cyclists on this forum! ;)

Yes...though my final line wasn't advice to Cyclone. I asked him a question that he might know the answer to (and unbeliever isn't around).

The last line was general advice to all whom it might concern :)

I might be wrong but isn't using an internal combustion engine to charge a battery in a car (which then drives an electric motor) rather than the engine driving the wheels itself quite efficient? When Top Gear made their electric car that's what James May did.

Though I saw a report that said because batteries are filthy things building a Prius does more environmental damage over its lifetime than a Jeep Wrangler.

It can be quite efficient yes, particularly if you couple it with things like active recovery when braking.

The cradle to grave costs of cars with batteries is something that a lot of environmentally conscious people prefer not to think about at all.

I commute by cycle most days, and have a V6 for the weekend.