Hybrid vehicles question

A 60 to 100 kWh battery to start with, so that's 5 to 8 times the size of yours.

You get 15 miles, so 5 times that would only be 75, but the Tesla doesn't drag around an ICE adding weight.

The small battery hybrids are more about recovering energy I thought and having a boost available, and maybe short journeys on electric only, whereas the larger batteried cars can actually make a reasonable journey on electric only.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 15:50 ----------

Is this your car anglefire?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014

Official 148.0 mpg

Actual (reported by people) 67.8 mpg

67mpg is still good, but you can bet thats mostly based on alot of short trips and re-charging.

As angelfire said, the battery is good for about 25 miles and the engine gives roughly 30mpg.

So you buy a vehicle appropriate for your usage, makes sense.

A 60 to 100 kWh battery to start with, so that's 5 to 8 times the size of yours.

You get 15 miles, so 5 times that would only be 75, but the Tesla doesn't drag around an ICE adding weight.

The small battery hybrids are more about recovering energy I thought and having a boost available, and maybe short journeys on electric only, whereas the larger batteried cars can actually make a reasonable journey on electric only.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 15:50 ----------

Is this your car anglefire?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014

Official 148.0 mpg

Actual (reported by people) 67.8 mpg

That's the one, 67.8 is quite generous, unless you drive it very very carefully.

Short journeys around home, less than 12 miles is ok ish, 11 there - 11 back do it on electric for an alleged £1 charge. (I have no method of verifying it to be honest).

How the manufacturers get 148 mpg is astonishing, I would love to know their secret method of obtaining it.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

How the manufacturers get 148 mpg is astonishing, I would love to know their secret method of obtaining it.

Angel1.

Done in a laboratory I would have thought, that's how all MPG's are calculated.

I think what they are doing is calculating miles per litre (because they often quote a Japanese test which works in litres).

More specifically they are calculating the miles obtained from the first litre.

They are then extrapolating the data and/or just making it up.

I think what they are doing is calculating miles per litre (because they often quote a Japanese test which works in litres).

More specifically they are calculating the miles obtained from the first litre.

They are then extrapolating the data and/or just making it up.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Angel1

That's the one, 67.8 is quite generous, unless you drive it very very carefully.

Short journeys around home, less than 12 miles is ok ish, 11 there - 11 back do it on electric for an alleged £1 charge. (I have no method of verifying it to be honest).

Angel1.

Perhaps it's typically owned by people who drive a few miles to work, or a few miles to the supermarket and rarely take a longer journey.

If I didn't cycle most days, I could drive it like that. Work is 4 miles (although the parking cost would make that pointless as a cost saving exercise). Supermarkets are all closer than that.

Once a week I drive a 20 mile journey (I could charge for 3 hours whilst there) and back. And probably once a week I drive to Manchester or Leeds or somewhere (so for that I'd use the other car I guess)...

Even Meadowhell would be only about 5 miles, and there's charging available there as well.

Are all cars compatible with all charging outlets??

I don't think the plugs are standardised??

That would be like having non standard petrol filler nozzles! I really hope that the legislation requires compatible charger plugs and voltages.

That would be like having non standard petrol filler nozzles! I really hope that the legislation requires compatible charger plugs and voltages.

There may be practical problems standardising the chargers (possibly also the connectors) until the technology settles down.

We do in fact have different "petrol" fillers don't we. Depending on fuel type.